Looking for accessible fitness wrist tracker

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

Hi, is there an accessible wrist fitness tracker that can be setup by a totally blind person without sighted assistance?  The app should also be accessible with talkback and voice assistant.  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you.

Mich Verrier

Hi Dennis I think that the fitbit is accessible at least it was the last time I herd about it it has a app and from what I can remember the app is accessible and can be set up using voice over. I am not shure about talk back though since I don’t use that. Maybe others though who have this can comment as far as accesibillidey etc since I am just going by memmery and have no real knollige of using the fitbit but I do remember people talking about it on eather this list or another blindness list and saying that it was accessible. Hth. From Mich.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dennis L
Sent: December 22, 2019 7:56 AM
To: techtalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Looking for accessible fitness wrist tracker

Hi, is there an accessible wrist fitness tracker that can be setup by a totally blind person without sighted assistance?  The app should also be accessible with talkback and voice assistant.  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you.

The Fitbit app is accessible. However, you will need sighted assistance when first setting it up to read the code that displays  on the screen. otherwise once you get it all set up it is very accessible.

Ashley Breger

On Dec 22, 2019, at 6:59 AM, Mich Verrier <michv@...> wrote:

Hi Dennis I think that the fitbit is accessible at least it was the last time I herd about it it has a app and from what I can remember the app is accessible and can be set up using voice over. I am not shure about talk back though since I don’t use that. Maybe others though who have this can comment as far as accesibillidey etc since I am just going by memmery and have no real knollige of using the fitbit but I do remember people talking about it on eather this list or another blindness list and saying that it was accessible. Hth. From Mich.

How long does the code stay on the screen?

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ashley Breger via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2019 8:05 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Cc: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Looking for accessible fitness wrist tracker

The Fitbit app is accessible. However, you will need sighted assistance when first setting it up to read the code that displays  on the screen. otherwise once you get it all set up it is very accessible.

Ashley Breger

I know I was able to keep the code on the screen long enough for me to use my phone to make a call to be my eyes so that someone could read it to me. I think the code stays on the screen for about a minute or so and then you just have to hit one of the buttons to make it come back up.

Ashley Breger

On Dec 22, 2019, at 7:53 AM, Dennis L <dennisl1982@...> wrote:

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ashley Breger via Groups.Io

Ashley Breger

What model of fitbit do you have?

Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2019 9:50 AM

I know I was able to keep the code on the screen long enough for me to use my phone to make a call to be my eyes so that someone could read it to me. I think the code stays on the screen for about a minute or so and then you just have to hit one of the buttons to make it come back up.

Ashley Breger

On Dec 22, 2019, at 7:53 AM, Dennis L <dennisl1982@...> wrote:

Ashley Breger

Michael Rodgerson

Dennis, the FitBit is accessible, while the device itself doesn't
talk, you can get all the info int the app. When I set mine up I did
need a little help with the final screen, but that may have changed
by now.

Michael

Cristóbal

Indeed. I've got a Fitbit Flex which is super basic and all it really does is count steps which for me is perfectly fine since all I use it for is the silent vibrating alarm function. I strap that bad boy around my ankle and get woken up nice and quietly in the morning so not to disturb my wife.
The device itself is a small little thing that is inserted into a rubbery wrist strap (I bought an extension to wrap around my ankle) and pared it to the Fitbit app on my iPhone. Completely accessible from there.
If you don’t have an iOS or Android device or would prefer something that's got stand alone accessibility out of the box, other than the Apple Watch, I can't say that there's anything else coming to mind at the moment.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Rodgerson
Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2019 1:12 PM

Dennis, the FitBit is accessible, while the device itself doesn't talk, you can get all the info int the app. When I set mine up I did need a little help with the final screen, but that may have changed by now.

Michael