Talking Indoor Thermometer

Merv Keck <blind5sparrow@...>

There doesn’t seem to be much call these days for an indoor thermometer. Once upon a time I had talking indoor/outdoor thermometers. However they have long since worn out and have been disposed of with extreme happiness. I use my Echo when I want the outdoor temperature. It might not be to the exact degree but it is close enough for me.

However, I am unable to find something that will give me just an indoor temperature. The apartment where I live is not one in which I can install a talking Thermostat. And there is literally an 8 or 10 degree difference tween the North side of the apartment and the South side of the apartment 365 day of the year.

Today I asked AIRA to help me adjust the central heat which is located in the living room and it took me about a half an hour and several calls because even with the glasses and kit, the thermostat is so small and low contrast the Agents could not read the numbers and one was unable to help me saying she could not see it at all. even with Zoom on my iPhone.

I have been searching for quite a while for something that just does indoor temperature and nothing else. Because I can’t open my windows in the apartment to run wires or anything and don’t want to buy something more than I need. So any help locating just a Talking Indoor thermometer would be much appreciated.

Merv

James Bentley

Hello Merv,

Future Aids/The Braille Super Store  has a $20, talking cube clock.  It is heavy duty with a loud female voice that doesn’t sound like a stupid robot from the sixties.

It announces time, indoor temperature and humidity.

It also has a 90 minute timer that goes to one hour in ten minute increments.  The last increment adds 30 minutes to go up to 90 minutes.

It runs on 4 triple A batteries not included.

Mine came free matter for the blind in about one week with no shipping charge.

I bought 3 of these around 6 years ago.  They all work fine.  One was dropped on a hard tile floor and still works.

I know that you may just want a stand alone talking indoor thermometer but, Here is a linkjust in case you want to take a look

http://www.braillebookstore.com/All--Purpose-Talking-Clock.1

You can order on line or give them a call at:

1-800-987-1231

Cheers,

James B,

[...]

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#85812) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

If you want to view a list of resources and freeware, visit the Tech Talk Wiki:
https://groups.io/g/TechTalk/wiki/List-of-resources-and-freeware

You can also view/download the list from the "files" section:
https://groups.io/g/TechTalk/files

To review a list of posting guidelines, go to:
https://groups.io/g/TechTalk/wiki/Posting-Guidelines

To view the list archives, go to:
https://groups.io/g/TechTalk/topics

Note that the Wiki and list archives are public so can be viewed by anyone without the need to login with a password. The "files" section cannot be made public so can only be accessed by members and requires you to login.

To join this group, send an email to:
TechTalk+subscribe@groups.io

To send a message to this group, send the message to:
main@TechTalk.groups.io

To stop receiving messages via email (you may still read messages on the Web),send an email to:
TechTalk+nomail@groups.io

To receive message digests instead of individual messages send an email to:
TechTalk+digest@groups.io

To receive individual messages instead of digests, send an email to:
TechTalk+single@groups.io

If you want to discuss anything non-tech related, please move the conversation to our chat subgroup.

To join the chat subgroup, send a message to:
TechTalkChat+subscribe@groups.io

To message the chat subgroup:
TechTalkChat@groups.io

Leedy Diane Bomar

Hello,
I have bought several talking thermometers from Amazon. The cool thing about them is that you can check indoor temperature, or use them to check the temperature of water, or whatever you are cooking.
I haven't looked recently, but just search for "talking thermometer" They cost between $15 and $20.

 Diane Bomar

On Jan 7, 2020, at 20:58, Merv Keck <blind5sparrow@...> wrote:

[...]

Ron Canazzi

Hi James,

On the same page you reference, you will see a talking indoor/outdoor thermometer. You must click the 'tell me more' link to get the details.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

James Bentley

I missed that.

Thank you.

James B

[...]

Gerald Levy

If you want an even cheaper alternative, you can find dozens of merchants on EBay that sell talking projection clocks/thermometers for under $10.  I have one that I purchased from EBay for about $8.  It is cube shaped and announces the time and temperature at the touch of a button and runs on three AAA batteries.

Gerald

[...]

Steve Matzura

What's the deal about not being able to install a talking thermostat? If and when you move out of there, just take your nice new talking one away and give them theirs back. Slip a maintenance person a Jackson and replace that old outmoded thing on the wall with something you can use.

On 1/7/2020 10:58 PM, Merv Keck wrote:

[...]

Peter Spitz

Why not just get a talking indoor/outdoor thermometer and use the
outdoor wiring to read the temperature on the opposite side of your
apartment?

On 1/8/20, Steve Matzura <number6@noisynotes.com> wrote:
[...]

Doesn't your apartment landlord have a responsibility to either provide, or allow you to install an accessible thermostat? I would suggest talking with apartment management, not asking, but telling, and/or calling your local utility company, to see if they will install one for you. It is in everone's best interest for you to have a thermostat that you can control.

However, even with a talking thermostat, a talking multifunction thermometer is very useful.

 Diane Bomar

On Jan 8, 2020, at 08:43, Steve Matzura <number6@...> wrote:

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

Blind Mice Mega Mall has one.

[...]

That is the way the one is from Blind Mice, refrigerator temperature, oven, all that stuff - even outside. I haven't tried to see if Siri will tell me inside temperature.

On Jan 7, 2020, at 20:58, Merv Keck <blind5sparrow@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Holly

Carolyn:

Siri will not tell you the inside temperature. For outside, she will probably access the weather reporting station closest to your zip code.

Carolyn Arnold

I have a thermometer I bought from Blind Mice, didn't think
Siri would know inside temperature.