Topics

windows 7 in general.

Penny Golden

Well, I just re-joined the list after a hiatus.  I'm sure Win7 and win10 have been going around and around.

I spoke to someone whom I trust. He is still using his xp and likes it very much.

I explained that I thought that I had to go to win10.

His reply, in short, was this:

If you keep your paied virus up, and you like what win7 is doing, and you don't have to change for work or some other reason, there is no need to change.

Well, that is fine.

I understand that the virus programs are not tremendously accessible.

My computer gent, i think, believes that  I should do well with Microsoft Security Essentials.

I may be wrong about this that he thinks is okay.

He's coming at 1 pm Saturday, should weather allow. Thank you.  I do not use jaws, but win eyes; and I'm hoping to put on NVDA and learn that.  I am also thinking about a laptop and have begun the process with computers for the blind.

Thanks for any help.  try not to be too technical; i'm a user, not a  technical expert.

Penny

pengold2@gmail.com

Gerald Levy

Your techie is giving you sound advice.  Microsoft Security Essentials will continue to work in Windows 7 for the foreseeable future.  Database definitions continue to be updated daily, just as they always have, and daily scans are still performed at the selected time.  If you want to continue using Windows 7 until you are ready to upgrade to Windows 10,, be sure to use a modern browser like Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox to browse the web instead of IE, and use a non-Microsoft email client like Thunderbird to maximize security.  Also, perform periodic scans with Malware Bytes, which still works with Windows 7. Contrary to what scare mongerers like Kim Kommando might claim, there are still good reasons to continue using Windows 7 because of all the problems users on this and other lists have reported with Windows 10.  Some users have reported updating their Windows 7 computers successfully to Windows 10 usig the Media Creation Tool or Update Assistant, while others have reported problems withthe upgrade, including complete loss of sound after Windows 10 was installed, requiring tech-savvy sighted help to resolve.  The latest buzz is over the newest version of the Chromium Edge browser for Windows 10, which is apparently beset by all kinds of bugs and accessibility problems, judging from the heavy traffic on the various blindness-related tech email lists.

Gerald

On 1/17/2020 10:25 PM, Penny Golden wrote:
[...]

jan howells <gale7978@...>

I would love to have a laptop computer. I am going to learn how to use the Dell computer desktop in work skills classes. Does Computers for the Blind still sell computers for $100? If I could get a laptop for $100, I would then use one of my braille notetakers as a braille terminal. Or I could learn Nvda.

Jan h

David Moore

My first laptop in 2005 was awesome!

Since then, I have owned four laptops, and two of them do not have a numpad!

You really get used to using the laptop commands built into screen readers!

You do not have to keep moving your hand back and forth!

I really like my Asus laptop a lot!

I have not had one bit of problems on this for 5 and a half years, and I have installed every build of Windows 10 on it since August of 2015!

This is like a time X LOL!

It has taken a licking, and keeps on ticking!

I really like my HP laptop as well!

It has a SSD drive, and is so fast!

The Asus has a hard drive, and I can really tell the difference!

Eight Gig of ram has been plenty for my flying and everything!

Have a great one!

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I would love to have a laptop computer.  I am going to learn how

to use the Dell computer desktop in work skills classes.  Does

Computers for the Blind still sell computers for $100? If I could

get a laptop for $100, I would then use one of my braille

notetakers as a braille terminal.  Or I could learn Nvda.

Jan h

Mike B

Hi Jan,

Here's the contact info for Computers for the Blind:

Phone#:  1-214-340-6328

Email:  info@...

Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2020 1:52 PM

I would love to have a laptop computer.  I am going to learn how
to use the Dell computer desktop in work skills classes.  Does
Computers for the Blind still sell computers for $100? If I could
get a laptop for $100, I would then use one of my braille
notetakers as a braille terminal.  Or I could learn Nvda.

Jan h

jan howells <gale7978@...>

Thank you very much, Mike. I will browse the website. I can call them during the week. I really appreciate that.

Jan

Gene

I doubt they ever sold laptops for 100 dollars.  They sell desktops for about 100 dollars.  They sell laptops for about 180 dollars.  I’m saying about because I don’t recall exactly.

Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2020 3:52 PM

I would love to have a laptop computer.  I am going to learn how
to use the Dell computer desktop in work skills classes.  Does
Computers for the Blind still sell computers for $100? If I could
get a laptop for $100, I would then use one of my braille
notetakers as a braille terminal.  Or I could learn Nvda.

Jan h

jan howells <gale7978@...>

That is understandable. I can handle $180. I will check it out. They might be double the desktops. Thanks for letting me know.

Jan

Pamela Dominguez

Last I knew, the laptops were about $125 or $150.  Pam.

Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2020 3:52 PM

I would love to have a laptop computer.  I am going to learn how
to use the Dell computer desktop in work skills classes.  Does
Computers for the Blind still sell computers for $100? If I could
get a laptop for $100, I would then use one of my braille
notetakers as a braille terminal.  Or I could learn Nvda.

Jan h

Gene

How long ago was that?  Here is a quote from the application page:
To apply for a computer we have a processing fee of $130 for a desktop, and $185 for a laptop,

Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2020 7:48 PM

Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2020 3:52 PM

I would love to have a laptop computer.  I am going to learn how
to use the Dell computer desktop in work skills classes.  Does
Computers for the Blind still sell computers for $100? If I could
get a laptop for $100, I would then use one of my braille
notetakers as a braille terminal.  Or I could learn Nvda.

Jan h

Pamela Dominguez

Okay; I didn’t know the prices had gone up, since they stayed the same for so long.  So, I don’t know when they went up.  Pam.

Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2020 7:48 PM

Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2020 3:52 PM

I would love to have a laptop computer.  I am going to learn how
to use the Dell computer desktop in work skills classes.  Does
Computers for the Blind still sell computers for $100? If I could
get a laptop for $100, I would then use one of my braille
notetakers as a braille terminal.  Or I could learn Nvda.

Jan h

Gene

I consider any information as to prices or what are the latest highest standards in technology as far as performance and perhaps other matters I haven’t thought of while writing that is over six months old to be possibly wrong.  Things change very quickly regarding technology.

Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2020 8:02 PM

Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2020 7:48 PM

Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2020 3:52 PM

I would love to have a laptop computer.  I am going to learn how
to use the Dell computer desktop in work skills classes.  Does
Computers for the Blind still sell computers for $100? If I could
get a laptop for $100, I would then use one of my braille
notetakers as a braille terminal.  Or I could learn Nvda.

Jan h

Penny Golden

Thank you all for comments.  I'm doing just as you say.  I use Thunderbird. and i just put chrome on there.  I use firefox, rarely I e.

But I never purchase anything using the computer; i have done so with my Echo; or my sis does it for me using my info.

I hope it will be all right. I just purchased a 500 gig solid state drive; and a 4 tb drive for the inside of the computer.

My current 1 terabyte drive is dated  November of 2011.

Why, this dear old machine is older than I thought.

By the way, I just did get in touch with computers for the blind, and the laptop price was 185 dollars.

They cannot guarantee their batteries. of course, they're used machines.   They come with win 10 and that demo of Jaws.  Window Eyes also has one of those demos, or used to.  I'm so stubborn that I cannot learn Jaws and love my dear old win eyes, which my sighted techie calls

Windows Eyes.

Thanks again.

So far I'm on the right track.  It's when I run into trouble, I'll be back here begging you  experts for your further help.

All the very best,

Penny

pengold2@gmail.com

The old lady schoolmarm from Eastern Nebraska.

On 1/18/2020 6:12 AM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

Veronica Kirk

Even though I have a windows 10 computer, I am still using my windows 7 laptop. Last night I used Microsoft Essentials to scan the computer for viruses, and it worked fine. All of my main programs are on the windows 7 such as Microsoft Word 2013, which I do not have on the windows 10.

Veronica

[...]

Ibrahim Gucukoglu <igucukoglu@...>

Hi Veronica
Firstly, I’d like to extend a warm welcome to everyone :-) I am a newcomer to the list although I have been on this list previously I think but sometime ago so hello again everyone :-)
Veronica, Windows 7 is now no longer being protected by Microsoft security updates and patches. This will leave it open to critical security flaws which hackers may exploit. My strong recommendation is that you upgrade your laptop to Windows 10 at the earliest possible opportunity, using the Windows 10 media creation tool. You can still upgrade your Windows laptop for free as Microsoft have kept this option open long past its intended expiry so please take advantage of this while you still can. Word 2013 should work on Windows 10 however you can purchase an office 365 subscription which will cover all your computers and mobile devices and which will give you office Versions going forward, including updates and feature improvements. Office 365 personal edition can be had from as little as $60 on market places such as Amazon and can be digitally downloaded and installed without the need to enter any cereal or license key information. It is also available in retail packs. Very best of luck to you.

On 22 Jan 2020, at 22:11, Veronica Kirk <veronicaa.kirk@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Monte Single

Please be aware that Micro Soft is still supporting micro soft security essentials for WINDOWS 7.
So, it is incorrect to say that windows 7 is no longer supported by micro soft.

[...]

Yes, Windows seven is no longer supported according to the Microsoft product life-cycle. There has been plenty of media coverage about this in the various online computer channels and you can find out more information on Microsoft website. as for the security essentials, I believe it is still being maintained as the database used by Security essentials is not dissimilar to Windows defender however that being said I don’t think you can count on this to protect your machine as many security Vulnerabilities and exploits are in the kernel of windows itself rather than viruses which Windows defender/Security essentials is focused on protecting against. Hope this makes sense.