From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
Sent: January 24, 2020 7:33
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] powered USB hubs

Hi all,

I bought a powered USB hub but I can't figure out how to connect it to my computer. I have an extra cord that has a USB plug on one end that I assume plugs into the computer but there's no place on the hub for the other end to plug into since the only nonUSB slot is where the power cord is plugged. Can anybody help? Btw the brand is Sabrent if that matters, and there are 10 USB ports 3 of which are quick charge ports if that matters.

Thanks.

Troy

Richard

Hi Troy,
Are the connectors on the USB cable the same?
Typically a device USB cable has a flat connector on one end,which goes into
a USB port on a computer,
and a square connector on the other end that goes into the device.
The USB port on the hub for this square connector may not be apparent at
first look, but typically is next to the power connector.

HTH,
Rick

I bought a powered USB hub but I can't figure out how to connect it to
my computer. I have an extra cord that has a USB plug on one end that I
assume plugs into the computer but there's no place on the hub for the
other end to plug into since the only nonUSB slot is where the power
cord is plugged. Can anybody help? Btw the brand is Sabrent if that
matters, and there are 10 USB ports 3 of which are quick charge ports if
that matters.

Thanks.

Troy

Troy Burnham

Thanks Richard, I found the slot on the hub to plug the cord into that goes to the computer.

Troy

On 1/24/2020 10:39 AM, Richard wrote:
[...]

chris judge

It might not be square either. I have one at home that has a connecter that goes in to the hub that is flat, similar to the connecters found on the cables for some portable external hard drives. Look for either a square port on the hub, or a flat, elongated slot.

I bought a powered USB hub but I can't figure out how to connect it to
my computer. I have an extra cord that has a USB plug on one end that I
assume plugs into the computer but there's no place on the hub for the
other end to plug into since the only nonUSB slot is where the power
cord is plugged. Can anybody help? Btw the brand is Sabrent if that
matters, and there are 10 USB ports 3 of which are quick charge ports if
that matters.

Thanks.

Troy

Nancy Hill

I have a powered hub.  It has 2 cords.  One cord is attached to the hub and has an electrical prong end that will go into the wall.  The other cord goes into the hub on the same side as the longer electric power cord, but it has a usb connection on the other end that will connect to the usb port on the computer. Also, in my case, the cord with the usb port on one end is a round cord and the electric cord is flatish.

Sorry if you have already been helped,  but I am just now reading my email.

Nancy