JAWS Versus NVDA

Abbie Taylor

I've been using NVDA for a couple of years, but I'm wondering if it's time for a switch. Lately, the software update process has been driving me up the wall. Apparently, the latest version, due out soon, will not be compatible with some of the software's add-ons, including the text-to-speech voices I use. This is no big deal because there are other voices that will work. But I've purchased some I really like that may not work with the new version of NVDA, at least not right away.

Another annoyance NVDA users are experiencing is add-on updates that are only compatible with the new version of NVDA, which isn't out yet. To me, it would make more sense to wait until the new version is released before releasing the add-on updates. But what do I know? I'm not a software developer.

I realize that NVDA is free, and I'm getting what I pay for. I recently read that Jaws costs only $90.00 a year for a subscription, which includes several licenses. So, I'm wondering if it's worth that much.

Those of you who use Jaws, what are the pros and cons? If you've used NVDA and are now using Jaws, do you think it's better? Is there a demo I can try before I buy? Thanks in advance for any input, and happy computing.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

chris judge

Hi Abbie. I can’t answer all of your questions. I have both NVDA and jaws but the only reason I have NVDA is because I need to know it for work, as I train clients who can’t afford jaws or wish not to buy it. In Canada we don’t have access to the annual subscription unfortunately. I hope this changes but for now we have to pay the full upgrade price. As for trying a demo, one of the nice things about jaws is that you can run it forever as a demo, however you must restart your computer every 40 minutes. You can download the jaws software from

www.freedomscientific.com

Go to the download link, then the jaws link and download the latest version. Enjoy.

[...]

Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...>

Hi,

To answer the questions on add-on compatibility situation:

  1. Speech synthesizers: more vendors are coming onboard with Python 3 version, so hopefully more should be ready by the time NVDA 2019.3 is released.
  2. Early release of 2019.3 only add-ons: I think you might be talking about my add-ons, and if so, it was a necessary procedure due to scheduling reasons- I scheduled 20.01 releases for various add-ons, most of them compatible with NVDA 2019.3 or later due to vast differences between old and new releases. Originally I planned to release all of them in early January, but I delayed releasing some of them due to user experience concerns as you pointed out. I did say to the NVDA users community that folks can ignore 20.01 releases for now until NVDA 2019.3 is released, and for this reason, I am delaying February 2020 releases of various add-ons from my lab until at least 2019.3 release candidate is released.

The NVDA community is keeping a very close eye on compatibility between upcoming NVDA 2019.3 and many add-ons, and folks are keeping contact with add-on writers about add-on compatibility.

As for comparison with JAWS 2020, I’ll let other folks answer this one.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Gene

Please join the NVDA Users' list to stay informed about such things and ask questions.  Some add-ons won't be compatible now, some of them will be later, perhaps not too far in the future, and a lot are compatible.  I don't know what voices you are using but unless you got your information from a really reliable source, if it is discussion of the Internet sort, I heard this or that, which I almost always find wrong or misleading, don't give it credence until it is checked where people like one or two developers hang out, that is, the NVDA Users' list.

If you are using the Code Factory NVDA add-on, there is a version compatible with the next version of NVDA.  I believe another add-on also has a compatible version that is developed by another company.

To join the users' list, send a blank message to:

Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2020 4:44 PM

[...]

Also, your view about add-on updates being released that are only compatible with the new version is incorrect.  The current version of the add-on updater shows new releases that are not compatible with the version you are using.  This has been discussed many times on the users' list and one of the developers has said that you can just ignore update messages for now.  this is a problem of how the updater works.  it is not a problem of there being all sorts of add-ons with new features you can't use in your current version.  You are seeing new versions that are compatible with the next version of NVDA.  The developers are working on a new version of the updater that won't have this problem in future.  And this massive coming out with compatible updates won't happen again for years, if it does again.  it is happening now because the programming language used in NVDA has a new version and NVDA needs to switch to that new version.

I learned all this by following the users' list.

Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2020 4:51 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] JAWS Versus NVDA

[...]

Quentin Christensen

Hi Abbie,

Others have fairly thoroughly answered most of your questions (if they haven't, please do comment again), but I wanted to pick up a couple of points:

- Compatibility with 2019.3: We are aware this is a bit of a bumpy release, and that's the reason why we never rushed it out.  As noted, you can ignore updates to add-ons which will be incompatible, and if you let us know which voices you use, I'm sure you can get an answer on their compatibility.  To my knowledge, all the main third party synthesizers have updated for NVDA 2019.3.  I am not sure if they're all available to download yet, but as you note, they won't be backward compatible so you won't want them until you download the beta / RC or the final 2019.3 when it comes out.

- "it's free and you get what you pay for".  I would definitely disagree with this, not least of which because all the concerns you have raised are about one specific update which should be finalised shortly.  If everyone switched operating systems because of one update that was a bit bumpy.... well lets just say Windows 10 probably wouldn't have the market share it does now :)

We have chosen to follow a revenue model which doesn't place the burden of cost all on the users.  I would argue that is completely separate from our software's quality assurance, which we believe is very high, (we are, of course, always open to feedback on where we can improve).

Feel free to try out other options and in the end use whichever product(s) work best for you.  I just want to emphasise that quality is not tied to price.

All the best

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Abbie Taylor

Thank you, Quentin, for your feedback. I use the Code Factory Vocalizer voices, and I'm aware that I'll need to download the updated version when I get the new NVDA upgrade.

I'm also concerned about the remote access add-on, which I use occasionally when I work with Casey Matthews with Web Friendly Help. It's my understanding that this add-on is not compatible with the new version of NVDA. I hope an upgrade to this software will also be available by the time the new version is out. Thank you again for addressing my concerns.