Repetitive motion strain anyone?

Vicky Vaughan <vrvaughan63@...>

Hi List, Have any of you been finding that your right hand and a bit up into your right wrist gets sore during the day from all the Num Pad use for your screen reader?

I do and it has me concerned about developing carpal tunnel.

I’ve thought about getting a left-handed mouse, but have no idea how you can get my Windows 10 computer to accept it along with the regular desk top keyboard with its Num Pad.

Have any of you experienced this and how have you solved it?

I would really appreciate any suggestions!

Sincerely, Vicky V

Penny Golden

I haven't. but you might look into a gentle wrap for your wrist.  or check into what aleexa or wiki how has to say about treating carpel tunnel symptoms at home.

Just a thought.

On 1/28/2020 10:24 PM, Vicky Vaughan wrote:

Hi List, Have any of you been finding that your right hand and a bit up into your right wrist gets sore during the day from all the Num Pad use for your screen reader?

I do and it has me concerned about developing carpal tunnel.

I’ve thought about getting a left-handed mouse, but have no idea how you can get my Windows 10 computer to accept it along with the regular desk top keyboard with its Num Pad.

Have any of you experienced this and how have you solved it?

I would really appreciate any suggestions!

Sincerely, Vicky V

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Vicky,

If you use a regular USB powered mouse just plug it in and start clicking away.  Personally I've never heard of a left handed mouse.  But, if you're trying to say a keyboard with the number pad on the left side, well that's a whole different animal and this I haven't heard of as a keyboard option.

Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 8:24 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Repetitive motion strain anyone?

Hi List, Have any of you been finding that your right hand and a bit up into your right wrist gets sore during the day from all the Num Pad use for your screen reader?

I do and it has me concerned about developing carpal tunnel.

I’ve thought about getting a left-handed mouse, but have no idea how you can get my Windows 10 computer to accept it along with the regular desk top keyboard with its Num Pad.

Have any of you experienced this and how have you solved it?

I would really appreciate any suggestions!

Sincerely, Vicky V

Gene

What do you use the numpad for?  Perhaps there are ways not to use it so much or in the same ways.  For example, I intensely dislike numpad down arrow for, using down arrow on the main keyboard for read to end.  I find it awkward using either insert and the down arrow either with the same hand or using two hands.  I solve the problem by using capslock down arrow so I use the left hand for the caps lock and the right hand, one finger of the right hand, to press down arrow.  You might learn the laptop layout, which eliminates use of the numpad entirely, since it is intended for computers that don't have one.

Or, if you use the numpad for one specific purpose that causes irritation, you might find a way not to use it for that one purpose if you want to use the desktop layout.  for example, let's say you use a combination of keys to do something in object navigation and you do so very often.  You might be able to navigate to the same place using screen review, which might use commands that don't cause irritation and still you might remain in the desktop keyboard layout.

Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 10:24 PM

Hi List, Have any of you been finding that your right hand and a bit up into your right wrist gets sore during the day from all the Num Pad use for your screen reader?

I do and it has me concerned about developing carpal tunnel.

I’ve thought about getting a left-handed mouse, but have no idea how you can get my Windows 10 computer to accept it along with the regular desk top keyboard with its Num Pad.

Have any of you experienced this and how have you solved it?

I would really appreciate any suggestions!

Sincerely, Vicky V

Gene

I should add that, while I specifically addressed NVDA in my message, with some modifications, my comments could apply to JAWS and they might to other screen-readers. I specifically discussed NVDA because I didn't pay attention to the to line and I thought it was addressed to the NVDA list, which it isn't.  But having said that, there is a laptop layout for JAWS and there may be ways to do whatever is causing irritation, or a lot of it that won't or won't nearly as much if you want to stay in the desktop layout.  If you tell us which commands you believe are causing a good deal of the problems, we might be able to address those.

Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 10:24 PM

Hi List, Have any of you been finding that your right hand and a bit up into your right wrist gets sore during the day from all the Num Pad use for your screen reader?

I do and it has me concerned about developing carpal tunnel.

I’ve thought about getting a left-handed mouse, but have no idea how you can get my Windows 10 computer to accept it along with the regular desk top keyboard with its Num Pad.

Have any of you experienced this and how have you solved it?

I would really appreciate any suggestions!

Sincerely, Vicky V

wayne

If you want to switch or change which hand is using the num pad, this solution is very easy. You can actually have 2 keyboards hooked up to your computer at the same time, and that way if you had the keyboards side by side, they will both be active at the same time. Therefore you can use the numpad on one and all the other keys on the other one, of course that includes  the num pad. The keyboards don't have to be identical or the same brand.

Wayne

Hi List, Have any of you been finding that your right hand and a bit up into your right wrist gets sore during the day from all the Num Pad use for your screen reader?

I do and it has me concerned about developing carpal tunnel.

I’ve thought about getting a left-handed mouse, but have no idea how you can get my Windows 10 computer to accept it along with the regular desk top keyboard with its Num Pad.

Have any of you experienced this and how have you solved it?

I would really appreciate any suggestions!

Sincerely, Vicky V

Vicky Vaughan <vrvaughan63@...>

Hi and thanks Wayne!  I did not even dream that 2 separate keyboards could work interchangeably.

Great to know!

Sincerely, Vicky V

[...]

Hi Gene, For me, I think the commands that most affect my right wrist are: Say All, Insert+DownArrow, Current line, Insert+UpArrow and Next Word Insert+RightArrow.

I don’t know why these are the most troublesome for me, perhaps it is just their frequent use or maybe there’s something in my hand or wrist bones that just becomes irritated by these motions.

Sincerely, Vicky

Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 10:24 PM

Hi List, Have any of you been finding that your right hand and a bit up into your right wrist gets sore during the day from all the Num Pad use for your screen reader?

I do and it has me concerned about developing carpal tunnel.

I’ve thought about getting a left-handed mouse, but have no idea how you can get my Windows 10 computer to accept it along with the regular desk top keyboard with its Num Pad.

Have any of you experienced this and how have you solved it?

I would really appreciate any suggestions!

Sincerely, Vicky V

Vicky Vaughan <vrvaughan63@...>

Hi Mike and Gene, Thanks for your ideas.  I think I try out both ideas, since I don’t want to start up the same wrist problems in my left wrist, but I do like the ability of keeping one hand anchored on the Home row, whith the other only shifting from that to the Number Pad and back again.

Sincerely, Vicky V

Sincerely, Vicky

Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 8:24 PM

Hi List, Have any of you been finding that your right hand and a bit up into your right wrist gets sore during the day from all the Num Pad use for your screen reader?

I do and it has me concerned about developing carpal tunnel.

I’ve thought about getting a left-handed mouse, but have no idea how you can get my Windows 10 computer to accept it along with the regular desk top keyboard with its Num Pad.

Have any of you experienced this and how have you solved it?

I would really appreciate any suggestions!

Sincerely, Vicky V

Gene

I haven't used JAWS for a long time to any extent and I haven't looked into defining other keys as the JAWS key.  It may be the combinations of numpad insert and the other numpad keys that cause the problem or a good deal of it.  If you can redefine the JAWS key to the caps lock, for example, and use caps lock down arrow for read to end, you may use down arrow on the main keyboard or the numlock down arrow, that may help.  You could also use capslock with the numpad keys for the other commands and thus use only one finger of the right hand and the left hand for the JAWS key.  If others don't discuss how redefineing the JAWS key is done, I may be able to find out.

Sent: Monday, February 03, 2020 9:52 AM

Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 10:24 PM

Hi List, Have any of you been finding that your right hand and a bit up into your right wrist gets sore during the day from all the Num Pad use for your screen reader?

I do and it has me concerned about developing carpal tunnel.

I’ve thought about getting a left-handed mouse, but have no idea how you can get my Windows 10 computer to accept it along with the regular desk top keyboard with its Num Pad.

Have any of you experienced this and how have you solved it?

I would really appreciate any suggestions!

Sincerely, Vicky V

Gene

This may solve your problem or most of it.

If you need to know how to switch to the laptop layout, ask.  I'll also tell you, before starting the main explanation, that when you have the laptop layout on, you still have access to all the desktop layout commands so you can use either commands you want.

I checked and if you use the laptop keyboard layout, the capslock key can be used as a JAWS key.  So capslock down arrow will read to end.  Caps lock up arrow will read the current line.  Caps lock left arrow reads the previous word, caps lock right arrow reads the next word.

But you can do these things in the laptop layout without using the numpad.
If you hold the JAWS key, in this case you would use numlock as the JAWS key, numpad I equals numpad 8, numlock u, numpad 7, numlock o, nnumpad 9.
The three keys below duplicate the numpad 4, 5 and6, that is, j, k, l, and the three keys below those, numpad 1, 2, and 3.
So read current line is numlock I.  Read next line is numpad o, etc.

Knowing what I've described may solve or considerably eliminate the problem you are having.

I hadn't paid much attention to the laptop layout, but I knew a bit about it from messages from lists and I experimented with my JAWS demo.

Sent: Monday, February 03, 2020 9:52 AM

Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 10:24 PM

Hi List, Have any of you been finding that your right hand and a bit up into your right wrist gets sore during the day from all the Num Pad use for your screen reader?

I do and it has me concerned about developing carpal tunnel.

I’ve thought about getting a left-handed mouse, but have no idea how you can get my Windows 10 computer to accept it along with the regular desk top keyboard with its Num Pad.

Have any of you experienced this and how have you solved it?

I would really appreciate any suggestions!

Sincerely, Vicky V

Vicky Vaughan <vrvaughan63@...>

Hi, Great ideas!

Sincerely, Vicky V