Topics

Drop box.

Penny Golden

I have been updating my 2011 computer; i now have a 500GB SSD, solid state drive; and a 4 TB drive inside the computer.

My drop box landed on the SSD.  that is fine.  But I tried to put it onto the 4TB drive.

So I have an instance of it on the solid state drive, and also on the 4tb drive.

The 4tb drive doesn't seem to be working; that is, the drop box program does not seem to be doing anything on the 4tb drive.

May i safely get rid of that, and just continue to use the one on the solid state drive?

Remember, I'm not a whizz, i'm just an old computer user.

Thanks.

Penny

pengold2@gmail.com

Steve Matzura

Get it off the solid state drive. If your Dropbox is big, or could potentially become big, or is active, you're wasting space and writes for no reason by keeping it on the SSD. The Dropbox application has an automatic facility to move its storage to wherever you want it to be. Use that function to move your Dropbox folder to your large-capacity drive. It's totally transparent to the user and always works. To do it:

1. Open the Dropbox application located in the system tray, or if you're on a Mac, from the Dropbox Extras menu.

2. Choose "Access and manage your Dropbox settings" from the menu.

3. Move to the "Sync" tab.

4. Activate the "Move..." button and follow the prompts.

On 2/5/2020 7:13 AM, Penny Golden wrote:
    I have been updating my 2011 computer; i now have a 500GB SSD, solid state drive; and a 4 TB drive inside the computer.

My drop box landed on the SSD.  that is fine.  But I tried to put it onto the 4TB drive.

So I have an instance of it on the solid state drive, and also on the 4tb drive.

The 4tb drive doesn't seem to be working; that is, the drop box program does not seem to be doing anything on the 4tb drive.

May i safely get rid of that, and just continue to use the one on the solid state drive?

Remember, I'm not a whizz, i'm just an old computer user.

Thanks.

Penny

Gene

That's an interesting question and I'm not sure what you should do.  the Dropbox program monitors the folder in a certain place on a certain drive.  If you open the program and it doesn't see a folder where it looks, I don't know if it will create one and download all the files to it, or if it will delete the folders and files you currently have in the online storage.

We'll see what others say.  I may write more later, depending on what others say.

Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 6:13 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Drop box.

    I have been updating my 2011 computer; i now have a 500GB SSD,
solid state drive; and a 4 TB drive inside the computer.

My drop box landed on the SSD.  that is fine.  But I tried to put it
onto the 4TB drive.

So I have an instance of it on the solid state drive, and also on the
4tb drive.

The 4tb drive doesn't seem to be working; that is, the drop box program
does not seem to be doing anything on the 4tb drive.

May i safely get rid of that, and just continue to use the one on the
solid state drive?

Remember, I'm not a whizz, i'm just an old computer user.

Thanks.

Penny

pengold2@...

George McCoy

Leave the dropbox program on the solid state drive but point it to the 4tb drive for storage.  Let us know if you need instructions on how to do it.

George

On 2/5/2020 6:13 AM, Penny Golden wrote:
    I have been updating my 2011 computer; i now have a 500GB SSD, solid state drive; and a 4 TB drive inside the computer.

My drop box landed on the SSD.  that is fine.  But I tried to put it onto the 4TB drive.

So I have an instance of it on the solid state drive, and also on the 4tb drive.

The 4tb drive doesn't seem to be working; that is, the drop box program does not seem to be doing anything on the 4tb drive.

May i safely get rid of that, and just continue to use the one on the solid state drive?

Remember, I'm not a whizz, i'm just an old computer user.

Thanks.

Penny

pengold2@gmail.com

Mike B

Hi George,

I know you can move the Dropbox from its default location and put it elsewhere, but how do you keep it in its default location and only have the storage located somewhere else?  This would be handy.  Thanks much.

Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 2:31 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Drop box.

Leave the dropbox program on the solid state drive but point it to the
4tb drive for storage. Let us know if you need instructions on how to
do it.

George

On 2/5/2020 6:13 AM, Penny Golden wrote:
> I have been updating my 2011 computer; i now have a 500GB SSD,
> solid state drive; and a 4 TB drive inside the computer.
>
> My drop box landed on the SSD. that is fine. But I tried to put it
> onto the 4TB drive.
>
> So I have an instance of it on the solid state drive, and also on the
> 4tb drive.
>
> The 4tb drive doesn't seem to be working; that is, the drop box
> program does not seem to be doing anything on the 4tb drive.
>
> May i safely get rid of that, and just continue to use the one on the
> solid state drive?
>
> Remember, I'm not a whizz, i'm just an old computer user.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Penny
>
> pengold2@...

Mary Smith

Hi Mike, here are some instructions for what you want to accomplish. I took this directly from Google. In step 2, it says click the gear icon. What you need to do is press tab until you hear something that says manage your settings. The rest of the steps are straightforward.

1. Click the Dropbox icon from your system tray.
2. Click the gear icon.
3. Click Preference.
4. Click Sync.
5. Click Move.
6. Select the new location for your Dropbox folder.
7. DONE.
8. Let Dropbox move your folder and its contents to the new location.

On 2020-02-05 8:23 p.m., Mike B wrote:
Hi George,

[...]

Richard

Mike,
The Dropbox program is installed to the "C" drive by default, but within the
Dropbox preferences
you can select where you want the storage folders to be located.
I believe the default location for these folders is in the "User" directory,
but it may be possible to select another local drive or partition.

HTH,
Rick

[...]

I believe it is on th solid state drive; I think so; that drive has 500 gigs and I only have 4 gigs of  drop box space, thereabouts.

I need all the help I can get as to setting things up again so I can try to work with them seamlessly, as I did when I had just one internal 1tb drive.

Sometimes the simplest things best this old lady schoolmarm from Eastern nebraska.

Hey, but I grew up in Chicago, so I am not totally an old farm girl.  Thank you all so much.

I did remove a box or two from the drop box. and they disappeared from the listing on both drives.  They were people I wanted to delete.  One, alas, had died.

In any event, what brought this up is that the other day, a friend sent me a letter in drop box.  it was in the drop box on the SSD but it did not show up in the one on the 4TB drive.

Remember, I do push buttons, yes; but i'm something of a menace on a keyboard.

Penny

pengold@gmail.com

On 2/5/2020 4:31 PM, George McCoy wrote:
[...]

Hi Richard,

Yes, I have in the past moved the default Dropbox folder from its default location to a data drive using the, move Dropbox option, in Preferences.  But, to me it sounded like I was moving the whole folder with all sub-folders to the data drive.  In essence I thought I was changing the file path for all folders and sub-folders to the data drive, not just the storage folders.  We all could be talking about the same thing and I'm just reading / understanding differently.  Thanks much.

I know you can move the Dropbox from its default location and put it
elsewhere, but how do you keep it in its default location and only have the
storage located somewhere else?  This would be handy.  Thanks much.

Leave the dropbox program on the solid state drive but point it to the
4tb drive for storage. Let us know if you need instructions on how to
do it.

George

On 2/5/2020 6:13 AM, Penny Golden wrote:
> I have been updating my 2011 computer; i now have a 500GB SSD,
> solid state drive; and a 4 TB drive inside the computer.
>
> My drop box landed on the SSD. that is fine. But I tried to put it
> onto the 4TB drive.
>
> So I have an instance of it on the solid state drive, and also on the
> 4tb drive.
>
> The 4tb drive doesn't seem to be working; that is, the drop box
> program does not seem to be doing anything on the 4tb drive.
>
> May i safely get rid of that, and just continue to use the one on the
> solid state drive?
>
> Remember, I'm not a whizz, i'm just an old computer user.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Penny
>
> pengold2@...

George McCoy

Ok, Mike, here's how to do it under Windows 10.

Open the system tray. Press d until you come to the dropbox button and press enter, or click the dropbox program shortcut if you have one.

Up arrow three times to preferences and press enter.

Press right arrow six times to focus the sync tab.

press tab twice to the dropbox folder location group move button and click it.

You will be in the standard windows browse for folder dialog.

Choose the drive and folder under which you want the dropbox folder to be placed and click the select folder button.

If you go the system tray route and the dropbox button does not appear, you will need to show all icons in the notification area.

Press the windows key plus i to open settings.

Down arrow once and right arrow once to personalization and press enter.

Tab once to the list of options and down arrow to the taskbar option and press enter.

Tab 11 times to the select which icons appear on the taskbar link and press enter.

Tab once to the always show all icons in the notification area toggle button and click it.

Close settings.

The dropbox button will now appear in the notifications area or systray.

Hth,

George

Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 2:31 PM

Leave the dropbox program on the solid state drive but point it to the
4tb drive for storage. Let us know if you need instructions on how to
do it.

George

On 2/5/2020 6:13 AM, Penny Golden wrote:
> I have been updating my 2011 computer; i now have a 500GB SSD,
> solid state drive; and a 4 TB drive inside the computer.
>
> My drop box landed on the SSD. that is fine. But I tried to put it
> onto the 4TB drive.
>
> So I have an instance of it on the solid state drive, and also on the
> 4tb drive.
>
> The 4tb drive doesn't seem to be working; that is, the drop box
> program does not seem to be doing anything on the 4tb drive.
>
> May i safely get rid of that, and just continue to use the one on the
> solid state drive?
>
> Remember, I'm not a whizz, i'm just an old computer user.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Penny
>
> pengold2@...

George McCoy

Mike,

You are moving the dropbox data folder and all its subfolders.  I'm talking about the folder which is, by default, stored in c:\users\accountName.

George

On 2/5/2020 10:13 PM, Mike B wrote:

Hi Richard,

Yes, I have in the past moved the default Dropbox folder from its default location to a data drive using the, move Dropbox option, in Preferences.  But, to me it sounded like I was moving the whole folder with all sub-folders to the data drive.  In essence I thought I was changing the file path for all folders and sub-folders to the data drive, not just the storage folders.  We all could be talking about the same thing and I'm just reading / understanding differently.  Thanks much.

I know you can move the Dropbox from its default location and put it
elsewhere, but how do you keep it in its default location and only have the
storage located somewhere else?  This would be handy.  Thanks much.

Leave the dropbox program on the solid state drive but point it to the
4tb drive for storage. Let us know if you need instructions on how to
do it.

George

On 2/5/2020 6:13 AM, Penny Golden wrote:
> I have been updating my 2011 computer; i now have a 500GB SSD,
> solid state drive; and a 4 TB drive inside the computer.
>
> My drop box landed on the SSD. that is fine. But I tried to put it
> onto the 4TB drive.
>
> So I have an instance of it on the solid state drive, and also on the
> 4tb drive.
>
> The 4tb drive doesn't seem to be working; that is, the drop box
> program does not seem to be doing anything on the 4tb drive.
>
> May i safely get rid of that, and just continue to use the one on the
> solid state drive?
>
> Remember, I'm not a whizz, i'm just an old computer user.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Penny
>
> pengold2@...

Mike B

Hi George,

Okay, we're on the same page, I just took what you said differently than you meant it.

I know you can move the Dropbox from its default location and put it
elsewhere, but how do you keep it in its default location and only have the
storage located somewhere else?  This would be handy.  Thanks much.

Leave the dropbox program on the solid state drive but point it to the
4tb drive for storage. Let us know if you need instructions on how to
do it.

George

On 2/5/2020 6:13 AM, Penny Golden wrote:
> I have been updating my 2011 computer; i now have a 500GB SSD,
> solid state drive; and a 4 TB drive inside the computer.
>
> My drop box landed on the SSD. that is fine. But I tried to put it
> onto the 4TB drive.
>
> So I have an instance of it on the solid state drive, and also on the
> 4tb drive.
>
> The 4tb drive doesn't seem to be working; that is, the drop box
> program does not seem to be doing anything on the 4tb drive.
>
> May i safely get rid of that, and just continue to use the one on the
> solid state drive?
>
> Remember, I'm not a whizz, i'm just an old computer user.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Penny
>
> pengold2@...

George McCoy

Good deal, Mike.

I think you're right to move as much data that is going to be written, deleted, rewritten etc. off of that SSD as you possibly can.  Although they're getting better all the time, the state of the art SSDs wear out much quicker when sectors are often rewritten.

George

On 2/6/2020 12:23 PM, Mike B wrote:

Hi George,

Okay, we're on the same page, I just took what you said differently than you meant it.

I know you can move the Dropbox from its default location and put it
elsewhere, but how do you keep it in its default location and only have the
storage located somewhere else?  This would be handy.  Thanks much.

Leave the dropbox program on the solid state drive but point it to the
4tb drive for storage. Let us know if you need instructions on how to
do it.

George

On 2/5/2020 6:13 AM, Penny Golden wrote:
> I have been updating my 2011 computer; i now have a 500GB SSD,
> solid state drive; and a 4 TB drive inside the computer.
>
> My drop box landed on the SSD. that is fine. But I tried to put it
> onto the 4TB drive.
>
> So I have an instance of it on the solid state drive, and also on the
> 4tb drive.
>
> The 4tb drive doesn't seem to be working; that is, the drop box
> program does not seem to be doing anything on the 4tb drive.
>
> May i safely get rid of that, and just continue to use the one on the
> solid state drive?
>
> Remember, I'm not a whizz, i'm just an old computer user.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Penny
>
> pengold2@...

Mike B

Yes, and because of the many writes I do to the Documents folder I've considered moving all my User folders / sub-folders into my Documents folder and then moving the Documents folder to my data drive as well.

I know you can move the Dropbox from its default location and put it
elsewhere, but how do you keep it in its default location and only have the
storage located somewhere else?  This would be handy.  Thanks much.

Leave the dropbox program on the solid state drive but point it to the
4tb drive for storage. Let us know if you need instructions on how to
do it.

George

On 2/5/2020 6:13 AM, Penny Golden wrote:
> I have been updating my 2011 computer; i now have a 500GB SSD,
> solid state drive; and a 4 TB drive inside the computer.
>
> My drop box landed on the SSD. that is fine. But I tried to put it
> onto the 4TB drive.
>
> So I have an instance of it on the solid state drive, and also on the
> 4tb drive.
>
> The 4tb drive doesn't seem to be working; that is, the drop box
> program does not seem to be doing anything on the 4tb drive.
>
> May i safely get rid of that, and just continue to use the one on the
> solid state drive?
>
> Remember, I'm not a whizz, i'm just an old computer user.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Penny
>
> pengold2@...

Gene

Here is what I consider convincing evidence that worry about read/writes is greatly exaggerated.  Here is the relevant passage from an article by a reliable source.
You may hear people say that you have to be careful with SSDs because they have a limited number of reads and writes. In reality, consumer SSDs actually last a really, really long time under normal use. TechReport’s famous SSD endurance test showed us that a lot of those fears are over-blown, and even consumer SSDs managed to survive writing and reading well over 700TB of data. These drives usually come with a three to five year warranty, and manufacturers assume you’ll write 20GB-40GB per day in data. That means to get to that 700TB, you’d have to do 40GB every day for 17,500 days, or about 50 years. That doesn’t mean you should mistreat your drive, and it doesn’t mean SSDs won’t fail due to other issues, but if you’re worrying your SSD will die because you used it too much, don’t.

Yes, and because of the many writes I do to the Documents folder I've considered moving all my User folders / sub-folders into my Documents folder and then moving the Documents folder to my data drive as well.

I know you can move the Dropbox from its default location and put it
elsewhere, but how do you keep it in its default location and only have the
storage located somewhere else?  This would be handy.  Thanks much.

Leave the dropbox program on the solid state drive but point it to the
4tb drive for storage. Let us know if you need instructions on how to
do it.

George

On 2/5/2020 6:13 AM, Penny Golden wrote:
> I have been updating my 2011 computer; i now have a 500GB SSD,
> solid state drive; and a 4 TB drive inside the computer.
>
> My drop box landed on the SSD. that is fine. But I tried to put it
> onto the 4TB drive.
>
> So I have an instance of it on the solid state drive, and also on the
> 4tb drive.
>
> The 4tb drive doesn't seem to be working; that is, the drop box
> program does not seem to be doing anything on the 4tb drive.
>
> May i safely get rid of that, and just continue to use the one on the
> solid state drive?
>
> Remember, I'm not a whizz, i'm just an old computer user.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Penny
>
> pengold2@...

George McCoy

I did something similar, Mike.  I set up a folder on my data drive with the same name as my user folder on drive c: and moved all but .cache, AppData, desktop and Microsoft Edge backups to it.

If you are a one drive user, you'll have to go into the one drive settings and tell the program to use the one drive folder on your data drive.

That setup works very well for me and I preserve the directory structure as it was under c:\users.

George