From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jujube
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2020 12:39 PM
To: techtalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Low-Cost Braille Displays

Hey everyone, What do you think of low-cost braille displays like the Braille Me and the Orbit Reader? Any other new and inexpensive braille displays worth mentioning?

1. Do the dots show up properly? Are they noisy?
2. How easy is it to edit documents? Like how well do the cursor buttons work?
3. Any other thoughts?

Josh Kennedy

The braille me has greatly improved since March of 2019. The dots issues are mostly gone and the braille me is very nice to read on and to use for note taking. I just wish it emulated other displays over USB and bluetooth so an NVDA addon would not be needed and it worked with jaws. A firmware update could easily fix the occasional dot not popping up by sending 3 or 4 more electric pulses to all 120 dots to ensure they are up or down when needed every 50 milliseconds.

Josh

Jujube

Thanks Josh. Since the braille me only has 6 dots, how does the cursor work, and do you find it user-friendly?

On Feb 12, 2020 3:53 AM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:
The braille me has greatly improved since March of 2019. The dots issues are mostly gone and the braille me is very nice to read on and to use for note taking. I just wish it emulated other displays over USB and bluetooth so an NVDA addon would not be needed and it worked with jaws. A firmware update could easily fix the occasional dot not popping up by sending 3 or 4 more electric pulses to all 120 dots to ensure they are up or down when needed every 50 milliseconds.

Josh

Josh Kennedy

On the braille me, the cursor works by blinking the unused dots in the cell. For example, if the cursor is on the letter b, dots 1-2, then dots 1-2 stay raised up while dots 3-4-5-6 are blinking. Or you can turn off the blinking, clear the display temporarily and show only the cursor, when you are done looking at the cursor, press backspace plus space together to get out of that mode. And yes I find the braille me to be very very user friendly.

DJosh

Michael Mote

Hi Josh. Thanks for posting your thoughts about the braille displays that you have used. I have found it to be informative. Have you been able to make your Braille Me work with JAWS yet?

On the braille me, the cursor works by blinking the unused dots in the cell. For example, if the cursor is on the letter b, dots 1-2, then dots 1-2 stay raised up while dots 3-4-5-6 are blinking. Or you can turn off the blinking, clear the display temporarily and show only the cursor, when you are done looking at the cursor, press backspace plus space together to get out of that mode. And yes I find the braille me to be very very user friendly.

DJosh

Josh Kennedy

No I have not been able to make the braille me work with jaws yet. I have written to www.atguys.com from who I bought my braille me and suggested it. And I also suggested it on the braille me email list. I am just waiting for a firmware update that will allow the braille me to work with jaws and also provide some other needed fixes. Other than that and the occasional dot not popping up requiring a light shake or a light tap, I really really love the braille me display that I own. I also like my two orbit reader displays.

Josh

is the orbit still a good display?

I know it got off to a shaky start

On 2/14/2020 6:29 AM, Josh Kennedy wrote:
No I have not been able to make the braille me work with jaws yet. I have written to www.atguys.com from who I bought my braille me and suggested it. And I also suggested it on the braille me email list. I am just waiting for a firmware update that will allow the braille me to work with jaws and also provide some other needed fixes. Other than that and the occasional dot not popping up requiring a light shake or a light tap, I really really love the braille me display that I own. I also like my two orbit reader displays.

Josh

Josh Kennedy

Oh yes the orbit is still an excellent display! I own two orbit readers and I own one braille me display so far. I like all my displays. But I find if I read on the braille me for a long time and then switch to the orbit for reading, the dots on the orbit feel a bit softer or faded even though in reality they are not. This is because my hands get used to the more sharp or poky dots on the braille me and then the orbit feels different for awhile until I get used to its more rounded dots once again. But in reality both have great signage-quality braille on them!

Josh

Victor

Hi Josh:

If you were forced to choose, which braille display would you choose? Which braille display do you prefer overall? Just curious.

Happy Saturday,

Victor

On Feb 15, 2020, at 6:34 AM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

Oh yes the orbit is still an excellent display! I own two orbit readers and I own one braille me display so far. I like all my displays. But I find if I read on the braille me for a long time and then switch to the orbit for reading, the dots on the orbit feel a bit softer or faded even though in reality they are not. This is because my hands get used to the more sharp or poky dots on the braille me and then the orbit feels different for awhile until I get used to its more rounded dots once again. But in reality both have great signage-quality braille on them!

Josh

Josh Kennedy

Well if I were forced to choose as of right now I would choose the orbit reader20. That is because it has jaws support and it does not depend on an addon to make it work with NVDA. But I really really wish they will fix the small bugs and issues I have with the braille me, with firmware fixes or updates because when and if they do that, the braille me will then be my preferred display! But as of now I prefer the orbit because its firmware and screen reader support are more developed overall.