Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 8:20 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] malware bytes tray application

Hi all,

Whenever windows 10 comes up after I either reboot or when I initially
boot-up in the morning I have a window on my taskbar that says malware
bytes tray application. Is there a way to get rid of that? I've had the
paid version of malware bytes for a long time but this has only started
happening with the later versions.

Thanks.

Troy

Troy Burnham

I'm running the paid program so it sounds like there's nothing I can do. Oh well I'm used to it now, I was just wondering if there was a way to get rid of it.

Troy

On 2/13/2020 8:29 AM, Gene wrote:
Are you using the free or paid version?  I don't know if you can or should get rid of it if you are using the paid version, using real time protection.  If you are using the free version, set it not to run at bootup, then exit the program.  I haven't used the program for quite some time and I haven't worked with settings for even longer but someone can tell you how.  You don't have real time protection with the free program so it doesn't matter if it runs when you aren't doing a scan.

Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 8:20 AM

Hi all,

Whenever windows 10 comes up after I either reboot or when I initially
boot-up in the morning I have a window on my taskbar that says malware
bytes tray application. Is there a way to get rid of that? I've had the
paid version of malware bytes for a long time but this has only started
happening with the later versions.

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

I'm not sure but you may have to let it be there.

Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 10:06 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] malware bytes tray application

Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 8:20 AM

Hi all,

Whenever windows 10 comes up after I either reboot or when I initially
boot-up in the morning I have a window on my taskbar that says malware
bytes tray application. Is there a way to get rid of that? I've had the
paid version of malware bytes for a long time but this has only started
happening with the later versions.

Thanks.

Troy

Mike B.

I had been back & forth with MWb for a long time about this window that appears.  The trouble was that only people using screen reading programs were seeing / hearing this message and sighted people didn't even know it was there.  I had a screen share with a MWB higher level person to show them / let them hear what happens and so they could actually hear what's being reported by screen reading programs.  Well this was back around version, 3.4, or so.  Anyways they did eliminate this screen in Windows 7, but never could eliminate it in Windows 10.  I quit running MWB many months ago because everytime they did an update they would screw up all the prior improvements for blind users.  I got so tired of all the hassle and having to go through all the chains of command again & again before anyone would take the problems the blind users are having Now with, MWB version, 4..., is out and when I tried it I could only take about 30 minutes of the user interface before I totally removed that major pain in the A** completely!  I could have used the Jaws touch cursor and other navigation keystrokes, but I then could by no means tell people the program is accessible for the screen reader users that don't know these keystrokes.

I'm not sure but you may have to let it be there.

Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 10:06 PM

Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 8:20 AM

Hi all,

Whenever windows 10 comes up after I either reboot or when I initially
boot-up in the morning I have a window on my taskbar that says malware
bytes tray application. Is there a way to get rid of that? I've had the
paid version of malware bytes for a long time but this has only started
happening with the later versions.

Thanks.

Troy

heather albright

Do you know of a key stroke to get rid of this? I have jaws and nvda, mainly a jaws user. I only have the free version as my copy  expired. Thanks, Heather

Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 10:06 PM

Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 8:20 AM

Hi all,

Whenever windows 10 comes up after I either reboot or when I initially
boot-up in the morning I have a window on my taskbar that says malware
bytes tray application. Is there a way to get rid of that? I've had the
paid version of malware bytes for a long time but this has only started
happening with the later versions.

Thanks.

Troy

Holly

Heather:

I have the free version also, and kept getting this message all the time too.  Very annoying.

I found that after you run a scan, with the free version, you can go into the system tray, enter on Malware Bites and arrow down to the ‘quit Malware Bites’ option and enter on it.  This will remove it from the system tray temporarily and the announcement will not come up again until you run another scan.

You will have to go through these steps after every time you run a scan manually.

I only run a scan about once a week, so not a big deal to go into the system tray and do this.

I don’t think it would work with the paid version, as it is always running with real time protection.

heather albright

Ah that is what I do for now. Is it different with the paid version? I find jaws works better at dismissing this window too! I am running windows 10 1909. Cheers  Heather

I have the free version also, and kept getting this message all the time too.  Very annoying.

I found that after you run a scan, with the free version, you can go into the system tray, enter on Malware Bites and arrow down to the ‘quit Malware Bites’ option and enter on it.  This will remove it from the system tray temporarily and the announcement will not come up again until you run another scan.

You will have to go through these steps after every time you run a scan manually.

I only run a scan about once a week, so not a big deal to go into the system tray and do this.

I don’t think it would work with the paid version, as it is always running with real time protection.

heather albright

Was just thinking, wonder if you can go in to the windows notifications area and silence this from happening. Or if there is an object level you can change so jaws or nvda will not keep announcing it. I do not have the paid version to see though! Heather

I have the free version also, and kept getting this message all the time too.  Very annoying.

I found that after you run a scan, with the free version, you can go into the system tray, enter on Malware Bites and arrow down to the ‘quit Malware Bites’ option and enter on it.  This will remove it from the system tray temporarily and the announcement will not come up again until you run another scan.

You will have to go through these steps after every time you run a scan manually.

I only run a scan about once a week, so not a big deal to go into the system tray and do this.

I don’t think it would work with the paid version, as it is always running with real time protection.

Holly

Heather:

I am running Windows 10 and JAWS 2020.

You can not  use this system with the paid version, as it is always running in the background and that is what you want it to do, so it can detect threats in real time.

It does work for the free version though because you scan manually.

Mike B.

Hi Holly,

From my understanding, according to MWB tech support, MWB stays running in the background if you press, Insert + F10, press enter on the MWB message here and then Alt + F4.  It supposedly only will stop MWB from showing the system tray but doesn't stop the program from running in the background.  I don't have this latest MWB installed, so I can't say this is true for version 4 like it was in version 3 latest.

You can not  use this system with the paid version, as it is always running in the background and that is what you want it to do, so it can detect threats in real time.

It does work for the free version though because you scan manually.

Holly

Hi Mike:

    I don’t have the paid version, but glad you found the fix for those who have inquired about this annoying message with the paid version.

I think it was Troy who was looking for the solution.

Thanks.

so what do you use instead?

Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 10:06 PM

Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 8:20 AM

Hi all,

Whenever windows 10 comes up after I either reboot or when I initially
boot-up in the morning I have a window on my taskbar that says malware
bytes tray application. Is there a way to get rid of that? I've had the
paid version of malware bytes for a long time but this has only started
happening with the later versions.

Thanks.

Troy

Mike B.

I only run Microsoft Security Essentials on our Win7 system and Windows Defender on our Win10 systems.  Being very careful about what links you click on and using the computer carefully can go a long ways in helping to keep dreaded malware, trojans and viruses away.  I'm sure everyone knows this, but we all screw-up once in awhile.

Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 10:06 PM