From: Howard Traxler
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 11:26 AM
To: TechTalk
Subject: [TechTalk] NLS cartrage

Hi all,
I'm trying to format an NLS cartrage on my Win10 computer. It offers
four different types of format. I'm wondering which one I should choose?

Thanks.
Howard

Richard <thegothot@...>

To identify the file format of any drive,open the properties with Alt Enter,
then use your screen-reader's review cursor to locate the type of file
system.
If you are using Jaws, this would be the Jaws cursor.

HTH,
Rick

I'm trying to format an NLS cartrage on my Win10 computer. It offers
four different types of format. I'm wondering which one I should choose?

Thanks.
Howard

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

You want fat32.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Howard Traxler

Well, I guess formatting the cartrage is a quick way to get rid of all the stuff on it.  And there are certain folders that windows won't delete; "System Volume Information" for example.  I don't know what that's even for anyway.  Just something to waste space.

Howard

On 2/13/2020 11:42 AM, Pamela Dominguez wrote:
Tell me why you should have to format an NLS cartridge.  But if you really do, it should be phat 32.  Pam.

-----Original Message----- From: Howard Traxler
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 11:26 AM
To: TechTalk

Hi all,
I'm trying to format an NLS cartrage on my Win10 computer.  It offers
four different types of format.  I'm wondering which one I should choose?

Thanks.
Howard

James Bentley

Hi,

OK, I'm just guessing here. Maybe Pamela is thinking that you want to format a NLS cartridge owned by the NLS library. And, that should not be done because it isn't your personal property.

However, blank NLS cartridges are available for legal purchase. And, like all USB drives, they can become corrupt and need to be formatted.

Cheers,

James B

Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 11:26 AM
To: TechTalk

Hi all,
I'm trying to format an NLS cartrage on my Win10 computer. It offers
four different types of format. I'm wondering which one I should choose?

Thanks.
Howard

Howard Traxler

Absolutely correct.  I have a half dozen that I purchased from someone on one of these lists.  And windows always leaves the folder I mentioned.  So, I'd like to make a clean cartrage before I stick boox on it.

Howard

Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 11:26 AM
To: TechTalk

Hi all,
I'm trying to format an NLS cartrage on my Win10 computer. It offers
four different types of format. I'm wondering which one I should choose?

Thanks.
Howard

Richard <thegothot@...>

Hi Howard,
Every drive has system volume information, usually hidden,
for identification by the operating system.
The size of that folder is usually not enough to worry about.

HTH,
Rick

Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 11:26 AM
To: TechTalk

Hi all,
I'm trying to format an NLS cartrage on my Win10 computer. It offers
four different types of format. I'm wondering which one I should choose?

Thanks.
Howard

Gene

System volume information is used by system restore.  You may have to tell Windows not to monitor that drive to keep that file from being placed on the drive.  If no one tells you how, I can look up information but someone may tell you.
If you want to find out how much room it is taking up, open the properties for the drive and compare the amount of free space with the amount of used space when nothing else is on the drive.  System Volume information can't be looked at for size using drive properties.

It may be, as Richard says, that you are going through work to free up space that isn't enough to matter.

Absolutely correct. I have a half dozen that I purchased from someone
on one of these lists. And windows always leaves the folder I
mentioned. So, I'd like to make a clean cartrage before I stick boox on it.

Howard

On 2/13/2020 4:23 PM, James Bentley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OK, I'm just guessing here.  Maybe Pamela is thinking that you want to
> format a NLS cartridge owned by the NLS library.  And, that should not be
> done because it isn't your personal property.
>
> However, blank NLS cartridges are available for legal purchase.  And, like
> all USB drives, they can become corrupt and need to be formatted.
>
> Cheers,
>
> James B

Richard <thegothot@...>

If you look at the system volume information properties, it will probably
report zero bytes.

HTH,
Rick

Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 11:26 AM
To: TechTalk

Hi all,
I'm trying to format an NLS cartrage on my Win10 computer. It offers
four different types of format. I'm wondering which one I should choose?

Thanks.
Howard

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

System Volume Information tells the computer how much of the cartridge has been used and is worth having if you try to put too much stuff on the cartridge.

You could do worse than to google filedir and download a copy. You might find it useful. I just tried that, and I couldn't find it, but I do have a dropbox link for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rwdh9hdyctj50rk/dirsetup.exe?dl=1

HTH,
Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gene

It does.  And you can't open the folder because you get an access denied message.

Absolutely correct. I have a half dozen that I purchased from someone
on one of these lists. And windows always leaves the folder I
mentioned. So, I'd like to make a clean cartrage before I stick boox on it.

Howard

On 2/13/2020 4:23 PM, James Bentley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OK, I'm just guessing here.  Maybe Pamela is thinking that you want to
> format a NLS cartridge owned by the NLS library.  And, that should not be
> done because it isn't your personal property.
>
> However, blank NLS cartridges are available for legal purchase.  And, like
> all USB drives, they can become corrupt and need to be formatted.
>
> Cheers,
>
> James B

Gene

That isn't what System Volume information  is or does.  As I said, it is used by System Restore.  It is what System Restore uses.  It does some other things I didn't know about such as keeping information if you run the file indexing service.  See this article:

Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 8:15 PM

Hi all,

System Volume Information tells the computer how much of the cartridge
has been used and is worth having if you try to put too much stuff on
the cartridge.

You could do worse than to google filedir and download a copy.  You
might find it useful.  I just tried that, and I couldn't find it, but I
do have a dropbox link for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rwdh9hdyctj50rk/dirsetup.exe?dl=1

HTH,
Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL:  akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Pamela Dominguez

No; I was thinking that he wanted to format a brand new cartridge he just bought, actually. Pam.

Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 11:26 AM
To: TechTalk

Hi all,
I'm trying to format an NLS cartrage on my Win10 computer. It offers
four different types of format. I'm wondering which one I should choose?

Thanks.
Howard

Pamela Dominguez

Okay sure, that makes sense. I have never bought them used from somebody. Mine were all brand new. Pam.

Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2020 11:26 AM
To: TechTalk

Hi all,
I'm trying to format an NLS cartrage on my Win10 computer. It offers
four different types of format. I'm wondering which one I should choose?

Thanks.
Howard

Smiling?

FAT32, but if this is truly a NLS cartridge flash drive, you will not at all need to format it simply due to the fact that it's smaller than anything larger than 32GB which will be already formatted as FAT32.

If you are wanting to format this drive just to wipe it clean then as already mentioned, FAT32.

I'm trying to format an NLS cartrage on my Win10 computer. It offers four different types of format. I'm wondering which one I should choose?

Thanks.
Howard

Howard Traxler

How dare they deny me access to anything on my computer--which I bought with my dollars and which resides in my home among all my other belongings?

On 2/13/2020 9:59 PM, Gene wrote:
It does.  And you can't open the folder because you get an access denied message.

Absolutely correct. I have a half dozen that I purchased from someone
on one of these lists. And windows always leaves the folder I
mentioned. So, I'd like to make a clean cartrage before I stick boox on it.

Howard

On 2/13/2020 4:23 PM, James Bentley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OK, I'm just guessing here.  Maybe Pamela is thinking that you want to
> format a NLS cartridge owned by the NLS library.  And, that should not be
> done because it isn't your personal property.
>
> However, blank NLS cartridges are available for legal purchase.  And, like
> all USB drives, they can become corrupt and need to be formatted.
>
> Cheers,
>
> James B

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

All this hoo-ha over a file that takes up kilobytes! Good grief, isn't like too short? Just delete any books. Filedir makes this easy.

Ann P.