so 32 or 64

Penny Golden

I have a win 7 computer.  How do i figure out if it is 64 or 32.

I used to know which it was.  but it has left me. I am not terribly technically savvy, as you probably have noticed.

Best, Penny

thanks for help on this.

I tried looking, but I don't know what it is I'm a-looking for.

Richard <thegothot@...>

Hi Penny,
The easiest way is to open the "run" dialogue with Windows key R, and then
type the following and press enter:
C:
notice that there is a colon after the letter C.
When this opens, you will be on the C drive of your computer, then look for
program files (x86).
If this folder is there, you have a 64-bit system, if not, it is 32-bit.

HTH,
Rick

I have a win 7 computer. How do i figure out if it is 64 or 32.

I used to know which it was. but it has left me. I am not terribly
technically savvy, as you probably have noticed.

Best, Penny

thanks for help on this.

I tried looking, but I don't know what it is I'm a-looking for.

Monte Single

Look at the list of folders on the c drive. If 1 of them is

"program files x86" then you have a 64 bit system.

I have a win 7 computer. How do i figure out if it is 64 or 32.

I used to know which it was. but it has left me. I am not terribly technically savvy, as you probably have noticed.

Best, Penny

thanks for help on this.

I tried looking, but I don't know what it is I'm a-looking for.

Penny Golden

Programs 86 or whatever you said, there it is.

That equals the 64 bit system?

I'm writing this down. In fact, I'll change some of my desktop settings to  the name of the thing with a64 after it.

I thank you so much; as I want to use the anyburn program, and just didn't know which to engage.

Thanks so much.

Penny

On 2/17/2020 2:21 PM, Monte Single wrote:
Look at the list of folders on the c drive. If 1 of them is

"program files x86" then you have a 64 bit system.

I have a win 7 computer. How do i figure out if it is 64 or 32.

I used to know which it was. but it has left me. I am not terribly technically savvy, as you probably have noticed.

Best, Penny

thanks for help on this.

I tried looking, but I don't know what it is I'm a-looking for.

Penny Golden

Well, you geniuses have both said the same thing. and I can't thank you enough.

I'm going to get this in writing. Best, Penny

On 2/17/2020 2:14 PM, Richard wrote:
Hi Penny,
The easiest way is to open the "run" dialogue with Windows key R, and then
type the following and press enter:
C:
notice that there is a colon after the letter C.
When this opens, you will be on the C drive of your computer, then look for
program files (x86).
If this folder is there, you have a 64-bit system, if not, it is 32-bit.

HTH,
Rick
I have a win 7 computer. How do i figure out if it is 64 or 32.

I used to know which it was. but it has left me. I am not terribly
technically savvy, as you probably have noticed.

Best, Penny

thanks for help on this.

I tried looking, but I don't know what it is I'm a-looking for.

.

Gene

You can run 32 bit programs on a 64 bit machine but you can't run 64 bit programs on 32 bit machines.  I'm not sure what you mean about which to access and why you would want to change the names of some items on the desktop.  The user doesn't have to do anything.  32 bit programs will run without additional actions.

Sent: Monday, February 17, 2020 2:31 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] so 32 or 64

Well, you geniuses have both said the same thing. and I can't thank you
enough.

I'm going to get this in writing. Best, Penny

On 2/17/2020 2:14 PM, Richard wrote:
> Hi Penny,
> The easiest way is to open the "run" dialogue with Windows key R, and then
> type the following and press enter:
> C:
> notice that there is a colon after the letter C.
> When this opens, you will be on the C drive of your computer, then look for
> program files (x86).
> If this folder is there, you have a 64-bit system, if not, it is 32-bit.
>
> HTH,
> Rick

Penny Golden

Hi.  I am glad for any input. i had no idea you could run a 32 program on a 64 machine; but then, you knew I wasn't a techie from the get-go.

Sent: Monday, February 17, 2020 2:31 PM

Well, you geniuses have both said the same thing. and I can't thank you
enough.

I'm going to get this in writing. Best, Penny

On 2/17/2020 2:14 PM, Richard wrote:
> Hi Penny,
> The easiest way is to open the "run" dialogue with Windows key R, and then
> type the following and press enter:
> C:
> notice that there is a colon after the letter C.
> When this opens, you will be on the C drive of your computer, then look for
> program files (x86).
> If this folder is there, you have a 64-bit system, if not, it is 32-bit.
>
> HTH,
> Rick

Gene

To be colloquial as you are, Yep, I knew you weren't no geek varment.

The reason for the Programs X86 folder is because if a 32 bit program is in that folder, a 64 bit version of Windows knows to run an emulator so 32 bit operations are translated into 64 bit operations and relayed to Windows in usable form.  So the program isn't actually running in 64 bit Windows per say, but operations in the program are made accessible to 64 bit Windows.

Gene.

Sent: Monday, February 17, 2020 2:31 PM

Well, you geniuses have both said the same thing. and I can't thank you
enough.

I'm going to get this in writing. Best, Penny

On 2/17/2020 2:14 PM, Richard wrote:
> Hi Penny,
> The easiest way is to open the "run" dialogue with Windows key R, and then
> type the following and press enter:
> C:
> notice that there is a colon after the letter C.
> When this opens, you will be on the C drive of your computer, then look for
> program files (x86).
> If this folder is there, you have a 64-bit system, if not, it is 32-bit.
>
> HTH,
> Rick

Howard Traxler

But which of those "program Files" folders contains the 64 bit programs?

Sent: Monday, February 17, 2020 2:31 PM

Well, you geniuses have both said the same thing. and I can't thank you
enough.

I'm going to get this in writing. Best, Penny

On 2/17/2020 2:14 PM, Richard wrote:
> Hi Penny,
> The easiest way is to open the "run" dialogue with Windows key R, and then
> type the following and press enter:
> C:
> notice that there is a colon after the letter C.
> When this opens, you will be on the C drive of your computer, then look for
> program files (x86).
> If this folder is there, you have a 64-bit system, if not, it is 32-bit.
>
> HTH,
> Rick

Howard Traxler

Sorry, I think this answers my last question.  Thanks.

Sent: Monday, February 17, 2020 2:31 PM

Well, you geniuses have both said the same thing. and I can't thank you
enough.

I'm going to get this in writing. Best, Penny

On 2/17/2020 2:14 PM, Richard wrote:
> Hi Penny,
> The easiest way is to open the "run" dialogue with Windows key R, and then
> type the following and press enter:
> C:
> notice that there is a colon after the letter C.
> When this opens, you will be on the C drive of your computer, then look for
> program files (x86).
> If this folder is there, you have a 64-bit system, if not, it is 32-bit.
>
> HTH,
> Rick

Gene

The folder just called Programs is where 64 bit programs are installed by Windows, at least by default.

Sent: Monday, February 17, 2020 2:31 PM