Topics

locked New Smart Flip Phone?

Lisa Belville

Hi, all.

My semi-techno-phobic dad is going to trade in his old flip phone soon.  He said he saw something on TV advertising a smart flip phone, he means a phone with the same body style as a  feature flip phone but with the capability of a modern iPhone or Android Smart phone.  I haven't heard anything about this.  Does anyone here have any info about this type of phone?  Brand, Wireless carrier, etc?

TIA

Lisa

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...

Mike B

Hi Lisa,

I heard about a phone like you're describing just the other day and I think they said that Samsung was the company  producing it.  From the way the guy was describing the way it works, it sounds like it'll be a really cool phone, but for $1300 it damn well otta be!  LOL  LOL  Check out the link below for a review.

Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 5:02 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] New Smart Flip Phone?

Hi, all.

My semi-techno-phobic dad is going to trade in his old flip phone soon.
He said he saw something on TV advertising a smart flip phone, he means
a phone with the same body style as a feature flip phone but with the
capability of a modern iPhone or Android Smart phone. I haven't heard
anything about this. Does anyone here have any info about this type of
phone? Brand, Wireless carrier, etc?

TIA

Lisa

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...

Gerald Levy

According to Consumer Reports, this Samsung smart flip phone employs a new touchscreen technology that allows it to be thin and flexible enough to be folded in half like a wallet.  But in tests, it proved to be very fragile, and CR did not recommend it, especially in view of its very high price tag.  And it would probably not be a good choice for a blind consumer because even unfolded the touchscreen is relatively small and has no tactile buttons.  This seems to be a growing trend in smart phones: eliminating all physical buttons, making it virtually impossible for a blind consumer to use the phone without some sighted help or a lot of hands-on training.

Gerald

Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 5:02 PM

Hi, all.

My semi-techno-phobic dad is going to trade in his old flip phone soon.
He said he saw something on TV advertising a smart flip phone, he means
a phone with the same body style as a feature flip phone but with the
capability of a modern iPhone or Android Smart phone. I haven't heard
anything about this. Does anyone here have any info about this type of
phone? Brand, Wireless carrier, etc?

TIA

Lisa

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...

jan howells <gale7978@...>

A While ago, I have heard about a combo smart phone with a keypad with buttons at the bottom, and a touch screen at the top with a small braille display at the bottom. Does anyone know whatever became of that, or did it bomb? LOL! I think that the had ten or 12 cells. So it could be used by the touch screen with the little braille display, or the buttons. I thought that it was going to be available in 2020. Has anyone heard? Thank you.

Jan

Lenron

It bombed I am sure like most of that sort of thing does. The price
was probably out of this world. Anyways on the subject of this
foldable phone this is just second gen tech, so I am sure it has some
growing to do. I feel like they will get it right though. I would
still try it because it's something different. Also phones with
buttons not a big deal to me these days. I miss the days of phones
with nice keyboards but it's not what most people care about so they
will not be made much anymore.

On 2/20/20, jan howells via Groups.Io <gale7978=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
A While ago, I have heard about a combo smart phone with a keypad
with buttons at the bottom, and a touch screen at the top with a
small braille display at the bottom. Does anyone know whatever
became of that, or did it bomb? LOL! I think that the had ten or
12 cells. So it could be used by the touch screen with the
little braille display, or the buttons. I thought that it was
going to be available in 2020. Has anyone heard? Thank you.

Jan

--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832

Gene

Your statement about buttons is inaccurate based on discussions I've seen on this topic before.  Most smart phones already had very few buttons, and, as for the elimination of the home button on the I-Phone, while I can't speak from personal experience, I've seen enough comments on lists like this that the button's elimination doesn't mean blind people can't use the phone.  Evidently, the screen simulates the presence of a button by vibrating.  I'm not saying I definitely understand the situation and I await other comments but how many people have you seen say they stopped using an I-Phone because of elimination of the home button?

You often state the worst case interpretation of situations.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 5:02 PM

Hi, all.

My semi-techno-phobic dad is going to trade in his old flip phone soon.
He said he saw something on TV advertising a smart flip phone, he means
a phone with the same body style as a feature flip phone but with the
capability of a modern iPhone or Android Smart phone. I haven't heard
anything about this. Does anyone here have any info about this type of
phone? Brand, Wireless carrier, etc?

TIA

Lisa

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...

Terry Olandese

Does anyone know anything about the blind shell phone?

Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 5:02 PM

Hi, all.

My semi-techno-phobic dad is going to trade in his old flip phone soon.
He said he saw something on TV advertising a smart flip phone, he means
a phone with the same body style as a feature flip phone but with the
capability of a modern iPhone or Android Smart phone. I haven't heard
anything about this. Does anyone here have any info about this type of
phone? Brand, Wireless carrier, etc?

TIA

Lisa

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...

Gene

It isn't clear to me what is being asked for.  Does the person want a smart phone that is a flip phone, that is, a full smart phone, or is he interested in a more capable flip phone which will do more of what a smart phone does and yet is a flip phone?

I don't particularly like this phone as a blind user because accessibility isn't well implemented.  But it is well enough implemented that I can do what I want with it and it appeared to be perhaps the best option for what I want, a flip phone that has features like a voice recorder, and other features such as a note taker, an earphone jack, and one thing I really like, an FM radio.

And for a sighted person, this phone gets pretty good reviews, if this one is anything to judge by.  I looked up one.  You may look up others to compare.  The phone is the Alcatel Go flip 3.

I am going to be doing a presentation on the Go Flip 3 in March, I think the 9th.  I'll show how to work around limitations in accessibility to allow features such as contacts to be used that would seem to many not usable.  Those not interested in the phone may benefit from listening as well, because the kinds of techniques and logic I use may be of important benefit in other situations of limited accessibility.

Gene

Monte Single

I’m sure it is smart and it flips.

But holy moly, 1300 u s dollars and then you have to pay x dollars a month to use it!!

Great for those with money to burn.

I purchased a second-hand I phone for 20 per cent of that price and it does way more than what I need from a smart  phone.There’s more than one reason to call it a wallet phone.

…and on that note,  I fold…

Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 5:02 PM

Hi, all.

My semi-techno-phobic dad is going to trade in his old flip phone soon.
He said he saw something on TV advertising a smart flip phone, he means
a phone with the same body style as a feature flip phone but with the
capability of a modern iPhone or Android Smart phone. I haven't heard
anything about this. Does anyone here have any info about this type of
phone? Brand, Wireless carrier, etc?

TIA

Lisa

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...

Gene

It appears, from two friends of mine who have one, that it does what it is supposed to do.  I'll wait to see what others on the list who use it have to say before commenting further, if I have anything to add.  But what do you want to use a phone for and do you want to spend perhaps $250 more than you can get an off-the-shelf phone for?  It depends in part on what you want a phone to do.

Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2020 8:45 AM

[...]

I suspect that many "blind" consumers who use smart phones that are completely devoid of tactile buttons are not really "blind" at all, but visually impaired and retain some funtional vision to navigate around a touchscreen.  Those who are totally blind and purport to use a touchscreen smart phone probably had a lot of sighted help. Which is why smart phones with tactile keypads like the BlindShell and Smart Vision have been introduced. So I'm looking forward to hearing about the experiences of a totally blind consumer using the new Samsung smart flip phone.

Gerald

Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 5:02 PM

Hi, all.

My semi-techno-phobic dad is going to trade in his old flip phone soon.
He said he saw something on TV advertising a smart flip phone, he means
a phone with the same body style as a feature flip phone but with the
capability of a modern iPhone or Android Smart phone. I haven't heard
anything about this. Does anyone here have any info about this type of
phone? Brand, Wireless carrier, etc?

TIA

Lisa

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...

Gene

I should add that there is a problem with my phone that those who want very much to use it as an alarm clock should know about.  There is a bug that, if you set the alarm, then change the setting, the alarm will often sound at both the old time and the new time for one day.  I don't think it will for more than one day.  Also, it appears that if you set the alarm, let it go off at that time, then change it to a new time, that it will go off at the old time and the new time the next day.  I haven't made a thorough study of how long this lasts, but it appears to me to happen for one day.

I put up with this problem because that problem isn't important to how I use the alarm and also, because the phone I have appears to be the best for what I want a phone to do at the price.  But this problem isn't discussed in the review I sent.

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

The one they are talking about recently is a regular smart phone with a touch screen, but it folds in half and flips shut. Pam.

My semi-techno-phobic dad is going to trade in his old flip phone soon.
He said he saw something on TV advertising a smart flip phone, he means
a phone with the same body style as a feature flip phone but with the
capability of a modern iPhone or Android Smart phone. I haven't heard
anything about this. Does anyone here have any info about this type of
phone? Brand, Wireless carrier, etc?

TIA

Lisa

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...

John Dowling

Hi everyone:
I am totally blind, and have been since birth.
Gerald, what your saying is just, bazar...
Of course blind people can use a phone without buttons.
After the introduction of the iPhone 10, apple implemented a way for VoiceOver users to go to the home screen, and app switcher.
I went from an iPhone 8 to an iPhone 11.
Don't forget about the 2016 macbook pro with its touch bar which apple also made accessible with VoiceOver.
I'm not an android user, but I'm sure companies like Samsung have made ways of making there phones accessible with services like TalkBack and that other screen reader samsung themselves developed.
if you can, I would suggest going to your local apple store and checking out the new phones. There really easy to use once you get the hang of sliding up to go home instead of pushing buttons.
then again, maybe since I'm so used to change, I really don't think about stuff like that lol.

John.

Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 5:02 PM

Hi, all.

My semi-techno-phobic dad is going to trade in his old flip phone soon.
He said he saw something on TV advertising a smart flip phone, he means
a phone with the same body style as a feature flip phone but with the
capability of a modern iPhone or Android Smart phone. I haven't heard
anything about this. Does anyone here have any info about this type of
phone? Brand, Wireless carrier, etc?

TIA

Lisa

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...

Lisa Belville

Thank you, Mike, this is probably it.  Dad is sighted, but not used to smart technology beyond his Windows 10 laptop and his smart TV, but I think he would be interested in at least checking this phone out.

Lisa

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...

Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 5:02 PM

Hi, all.

My semi-techno-phobic dad is going to trade in his old flip phone soon.
He said he saw something on TV advertising a smart flip phone, he means
a phone with the same body style as a feature flip phone but with the
capability of a modern iPhone or Android Smart phone. I haven't heard
anything about this. Does anyone here have any info about this type of
phone? Brand, Wireless carrier, etc?

TIA

Lisa

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...

Pamela Dominguez

But they are coming back with a revised version. Pam.

[...]

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

I have no experience with the foldable Samsun but I am totally blind and use the newest IPhone which only has buttons on the sides for volume and power. I have no problem using the phone with no home button and I did not have any assistance learning to use it except for some written instructions.
And I know quite a few totally blind users of this phone.
Marie

My semi-techno-phobic dad is going to trade in his old flip phone soon.
He said he saw something on TV advertising a smart flip phone, he means
a phone with the same body style as a feature flip phone but with the
capability of a modern iPhone or Android Smart phone. I haven't heard
anything about this. Does anyone here have any info about this type of
phone? Brand, Wireless carrier, etc?

TIA

Lisa

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...

Gerald, I was 18 months old when blindness set in due to measles. I don't
recall what anyone's face looks like; I can't blink or make any expressions
with my eyes; I can't MOVE MY EYES, look down, left or right as the
ophthalmologists at the eye clinic try to make me do when I present for
checkup. Colors are just that, I've never seen them, and so I don't make
sense of them. Yet, people talk about colors all the time.

Ok, silly child, why go through this charade? I have done so to refute your
argument that those of us who are blind using touchscreen toys do so with
sighted assistance and or help.

Sorry sir, this is NOT THE CASE with me! My touchscreen toy HAS NO PHYSICAL
BUTTONS of any kind and I use it unperturbed with NO SIGHTED ASSISTANCE AND
HELP! I took my Shiny Android Toy OUT OF THE BOX and got it going ALL ON MY
OWN sitting at my desk at work. And, yes, I'm THE ONLY EMPLOYEE here until
I fire myself!

For the records, I DO NOT CONSIDER MYSELF AN EXPERT in anything; I am
CONSTANTLY LEARNING and seeking for ways to learn. I start out by trying to
explore anything on my own; when I get stuck, I ask questions either here on
this list, or some other lists I roam on, but I don't go around looking for
sighted help until I have exhausted my channels within the blind community.

All that said, is there an area where I fall short? Sure! I'm not too good
at using my toy to scan and read printed materials; I suppose this has to do
with my spatial orientation; I'm working on it on my own presently.
However, if I don't hatch it down within the period I have allotted, I'll
seek sighted assistance for this purpose only.

Apologies for making this post rather long; I, like several others, had to
write to dispel the notion that blind users of touchscreen toys are heavily
reliant on folks with a pair of eyes! Of course, I belong to the school
which believes that if an individual is visually impaired and has sufficient
residual vision, this should be used always to the maximum extent possible.
Any such individual should NEVER PERMIT anyone to PULL SLEEPSHADES over his
or her face for any reason. I still have LIGHT PERCEPTION which is slowly
going away. I do enjoy being able to use it and I'll never participate in
any rehabilitative training skill or program that seeks to force me to wear
sleepshades.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Norma A. Boge

Ok. I’ve used only Android phones, got my first one in 2014. I’ve been totally blind for 30 years. I’ve never had a phone with a physical home button. Some of us need to quit making these mass generalizations about the capabilities of others. It’s just dumb to do it. Best, Norma

Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 5:02 PM

Hi, all.

My semi-techno-phobic dad is going to trade in his old flip phone soon.
He said he saw something on TV advertising a smart flip phone, he means
a phone with the same body style as a feature flip phone but with the
capability of a modern iPhone or Android Smart phone. I haven't heard
anything about this. Does anyone here have any info about this type of
phone? Brand, Wireless carrier, etc?

TIA

Lisa

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...

Carolyn Arnold

And, wow, you could get two iPhone 11's with AT&T contract for $21.57 for 30 months, which would equal that $1,300 dollars - getting two phones with higher trade value down the line.

https://gizmodo.com/24-hours-with-the-samsung-galaxy-z-flip-has-me-convince-1841791884

missktlab1217@... <mailto:missktlab1217@...>