Why should one learn Braille?

Ann Parsons <akp@...>

Hi all,

Matt, you have two spurious arguments here. Let me explain.

First, you assume that if one is fifty years old or older, you will be sitting around the house and doing nothing. There are two schools of thought on this issue. The one you are promoting says that if you go blind, all you can do is sit around in your house and read audio books and do nothing. After all, you are a poor, sad sack and you have nothing to look forward to in the say fifty years you have to live. This is self serving and leads to depression and to learned dependence.

The second school of thought is that even though you have lost your sight, it is still your task in life to be a part of it, to participate, to work or to volunteer or to love your family and to help them as much as you can, to laugh, to enjoy going out to plays and concerts and to continue your life, living it to the best of your ability. It has been proven that those who give up, who are told again and again they aren't needed, will and do die sooner! To be needed is to have a reason for living!

Now, if you espouse the second idea, you're gonna need at least uncontracted Braille to make your life easier. It's hard to learn, you say. So is French or Ham Radio or to play bridge or to be a lawyer or a doctor. Being a parent is hard. Being a grandparent is hard. sometimes living is hard. "I never promised you a rose garden." Anything worth having is hard to attain. So? Learning Braille is a skill which will help you and make your life easier. It could spell the difference between being a home body and being a part-time employee or a volunteer. I have four students who have spent most of a year learning Braille, Matt, two of them are in their sixties. Is it easy for them, no, but they persist. They continue because they see the benefits it can bring.

I repeat, unless you have a mental disability or neropathy in your fingers, you have no business not learning Braille.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@samobile.net
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@samobile.net
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Samuel Wilkins

Hello everyone, there are many things I can do with Braille that simply couldn't be done with audio. For example, in my local church, I have the words of the songs that will be sung on a particular Sunday put onto a memory stick, and I transfer the file to my BrailleSense. I can then read along while singing, just as everyone else is doing. I could not do that with audio. Also, I have now started taking minutes voluntarily for a committee, and if I just relied on speech, I would have major problems trying to concentrate both on what I am doing and on hearing what people are saying. If I want to take notes, I need to use Braille, as there are situations, such as when confidential information is being given, where I would simply not be allowed to record what is going on, especially if there are people who have specifically requested not to be recorded. In fact, I was requested not to record the committee meetings for this reason. I do appreciate, though, that there are people who have lost their sight later in life, so may not be up to learning Braille or have the sensitivity in their fingers to learn it.

On 03/03/2016 12:23, Matt wrote:
[...]

Regards,

Samuel Wilkins

Matt

Yes agree not to generalize! Which I was not but it might have come out
sounding like that! Here again this is a problem with emails and trying to
put your thoughts in an email and then someone thinks you are saying one
thing and you are trying to say something else and you not talking to them
on the phone or face to face one on one and then things just get all out of
hand . That is why I really don't like to use email for sure enough
communications I would rather talk to the person one on one. But this is
sort of traveling off course!

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

[...]

Now, if you espouse the second idea, you're going to need at least
[...]

Yes agree there is a place for brail not saying that at all. I just saying I
don't need it in my life at this time ! If I see where I have a need for it
that I just got to have it then I will learn it. But don't see that
happening no time soon for myself!

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

the world population Hi all, Now, unless you have a mental incapacity
[...]

rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hello,
About recording confidential information. Could you not take notes on any device? I'm glad you have a method, but just curious.

Sent from a BrailleNote

[...]

Øyvind Lode

I learned Braille later in life and I'm envious of those who read
Braille very quickly.
If you were a Braille user you most likely would discover that Braille
is not spelled brail.
I tried my best learning to read/write Braille and I'm a decent reader
and writer.
However, I'm painfully slow compared to someone that can really read Braille.
I started learning Braille when I was 29 and I accepted after a couple
of years that I will never become a quick reader but I still find it
very useful.

On 3 March 2016 at 13:54, Matt <matt.from.florida@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Maybe or maybe not ! if you are Abad speller you are a bad speller! But do now! Will I make the same mistake again more than likely!

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

[...]

I can do 40 words a minute, but, the skill is there, if I need it.

Sent from a BrailleNote

[...]

You should maintain your reading skill by reading as much as you can
in the future.
Braille is so much better than speech!
I'm envious of you <smile>

On 3 March 2016 at 14:35, Rajmund <brajmund2000@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

I use a BrailleSense for taking notes, with the voice turned off.

On 03/03/2016 12:54, Rajmund wrote:
[...]

HMM, I think you have to use both in a combination, really.

Sent from a BrailleNote

[...]

It depends on the beholder! I personally would rather have a human read book then trying to read a book by a bunch of dots!

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

[...]

Carlos

LOL my comment about generalizing was not directed at you Matt.

[...]

Hello everyone,
There is no need to defend Braille. No one is arguing whether Braille has
it's uses. Only that it is not necessary for every single blind person to
learn it. If you personally find Braille useful, then you find it useful.
Individual circumstances and needs will vary significantly.

[...]

I use speech, rather than humans, or braille, but just shows how many solutions are out there.

Sent from a BrailleNote

[...]

Again I have to agree. When I was much younger, I read books for
entertainment in Braille, but it is definitely more convenient to read books
in electronic or audio format.

[...]

Totally agree!

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com