locked Life experiences as a blind person

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

Sorry about this message, thought I was on the chat list.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Loy via Groups.Io" <loyrg2845=gmail.com@groups.io>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, March 8, 2020 7:06 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Life experiences as a blind person

I changed the subject line.I
have been legally blind in one eye and totally blind in the other due to a dynamite cap blast when I was 3. I never had seen another blind person until I was grown. When my mother took me to register in public school, 1951. they told her I could not attend, I would have to go to a blind school.My mother left there crying, but not sure what she did but I was admitted to the public school.At home I was expected to do just like my older brothers. I had great teachers in the grammar school. In high school I had great teachers as well. I wasn't given much extra attention except when the teacher put something on the board. They would give me a print copy. I could read normal size print when I would hold very close.I was given large print books but most were not the same as the other students, so I left them at home as references. They were too big for me to lug around at the high school. After high school I went to a vocational class at the Georgia Academy for the blind to study Horticulture. I went into a business of my own growing and selling plants. After 9 years I went to work with the Coca-cola company for 13 years until I lost all vision.After a couple of years I regained some vision after surgery. Then I took up computers and repaired and built computers . Now at 75 I have again lost all vision and having to learn computer totally with screen reader, after using ZT with screen reader. After reading many of the experiences talked about here I am thankful I did not have the bad experiences they had.