locked and moreLearning to Budget

Dave

<Slight laugh>  I know this might be hard to believe, but I've taken a
number of Classes at the School of Hard Knocks.

It's a fantastic school, and speaking for myself, I tend to exit those
many classes, learning exactly what I should have learned years before.

My Mother attempted to teach me to budget what little money I had, but I
just didn't listen.

I get my first Pay Check, which was for an entire Month.  I never had
that much money all at one time, and I couldn't wait to spend it.  Went
right out and bought two brand New Guitars, leaving me about $150 for
the rest of the month.

Needless to say, that month was a Month I still remember to this day.
The next month, I didn't run out and buy a bunch of stuff. I put that
next paycheck in the Bank and spent it according to what I needed to
spend it on.  Housing, Food, Gas, and Utilities.   Then what was left
over, I could spend on myself.

As for having others ask who "Dresses you in the Morning-

Yes, I too have had this question, and I just tell them, I dress
myself.  Which then causes them to ask other questions, like, do I cook
for myself?  Who does my Shopping?

People are curious, and sometimes the bold ones will ask their questions.

At least they ask and I can inform them with the correct answers.

Do these questions bother me?  Frankly Yes they do, but at the same
time, these people have no idea what it is like to be blind. They just
think about what they would do if they were suddenly needing to live
without sight.

I had a Seeing Eye Dog for about 4 years, and people actually treated me
better when I had the Dog, but it would Piss me off when they gave the
Dog credit for everything I did!

Can't tell you how often I would have someone come up and tell me they
had watched a Show about Seeing Eye Dogs on the TV, and how wonderful
those Dogs are etc.

And <Slight laugh>  of course, now that I am married, my Wife gets the
Credit for every Breath I inhale, what clothes I wear, and even if my
Hair is combed.

I have an answer for this next question, but I am not going to share it
now.

Why is it that the General Public has such a Poor understanding about
the capabilities of someone blind?

Grumpy Dave

Rob Hudson

Dave <dlh007@centurylink.net> wrote:
Why is it that the General Public has such a Poor understanding about
the capabilities of someone blind?

You said it. Because they can't imagine how they, themselves, would cope. They have this mentality. If I can't figure it out, you can't either. This same mentality is what keeps us so unemployed, as well.

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

I would like to put in my two cents about sighted people misunderstanding those of us who are blind. I feel that it is primarily because they have either never been in the company of a blind person or never had the opportunity to interact with same. Most people are merely curious and I, for one enjoy being able to enlighten them concerning what we are capable of doing. When I first learned that I had RP and would probably go totally blind at some point, my first thoughts were that my life was going to end because I would have to give up everything I enjoyed. Well, that just did not happen and at the advanced age of 77 I am still independent and capable of many things.
I also believe that some visually impaired individuals go out expecting to be treated badly and so they are. Try going with a positive attitude and a friendly smile and most people will respond the same. I very seldom get treated badly and in fact, I have been treated surprisingly well, and find so many courteous and helpful sighted people. And this is more so when I am alone.
I don't for one minute think I am anything special, just that I truly like people. And I realize that each of us has our different issues and experiences. I am not trying to preach but just giving my own ideas.
Yes, I have had people who treated me as if I were mentally deficient or talked louder so perhaps I could "see" them. On the other hand I have had people who asked intelligent questions about my blindness and how I do different things.
Thanks for listening to my rambles this morning.
Marie

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

Grumpy Dave, please tell us the answer to your question.

Fortunately for me, I am more outgoing than my husband, so go a lot of places that he does not. He is not going to church now, however, and I still was asked that question. It does not happen as much though when I am on my own.

[...]

Oh yes, and it really bothers some that we do well, like we
don't have the right to do anything as well or better than
some with sight.

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@windstream.net> wrote:
Oh yes, and it really bothers some that we do well, like we
don't have the right to do anything as well or better than
some with sight.
It's a variation on this business thing where one should rise to the station of one's incompetence, or something like that. You see it all the time in other groups. One should stick to one's station in life and not try to rise above it. We and other "subnormal" (note the quotes) people are supposed to stay marginlized, out of the way, and not make waves. It's even been legalized in such places as India and south africa.

Monte Single

What is the one thing people fear most?
Going blind.

Why is it that the General Public has such a Poor understanding about
the capabilities of someone blind?

You said it. Because they can't imagine how they, themselves, would cope.
They have this mentality. If I can't figure it out, you can't either. This
same mentality is what keeps us so unemployed, as well.

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

One day, I was riding home from Mass with a couple that I knew. They were also giving an elder a ride to her apartment. As we were driving along, this lady turned to me and says, "Who cooks for you, dear."

I smiled and pointed to my rather overweight figure and said, "I do. I must be doing something right, I'm still here."

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ron Canazzi

Yeah I had a guide dog.  The people treated the dog better than they did me!

On 3/9/2020 10:49 AM, Dave wrote:
[...]

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Monte Single

A sighted frien of mine used to walk along the park on the riverbank here in the original toontown, Saskatoon.
He emjoyed the walks.Later on he got a pair of Colie dogs when he started living with a new partner and her 9 year old son.
Then when he walked through the park with his two lovely dogs, he was approached by all kinds of women; young, old, and in between.