Using Zoom

Gene

I didn't know what system Accessible World uses now since Talking Communities disappeared.  I see its Zoom.  I installed it but I really don't want to spend half an hour or an hour looking through documentation and hoping things work tonight without the ability to test things first.  All I see when I run the Windows program are some buttons I can tab through, such as join meeting, sign in, and the version number.  There are no menus accessible with alt.  there is nothing on the screen I can see with screen review techniques.  Do I have to be connected to a meeting before the interface becomes available?

Gene

hi Jeanne,
In order to use Zoom you must sign in with your email address and password. The host of the meeting should send you an invite email with a link that you can just click on that will bring up the meeting and it will allow you to test your sound there.
Hope this helps,

Ashley Breger

On Mar 9, 2020, at 4:08 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

I didn't know what system Accessible World uses now since Talking Communities disappeared.  I see its Zoom.  I installed it but I really don't want to spend half an hour or an hour looking through documentation and hoping things work tonight without the ability to test things first.  All I see when I run the Windows program are some buttons I can tab through, such as join meeting, sign in, and the version number.  There are no menus accessible with alt.  there is nothing on the screen I can see with screen review techniques.  Do I have to be connected to a meeting before the interface becomes available?

I'll see what happens when I try the link later.  The room is evidently not available until shortly before the meeting and when I followed the link about half an hour ago, nothing happened except a message that the program is searching for the host.

I may set up an account to see what happens when I sign in.  I had the link to the meeting so I didn't do so but maybe that is the only way to get the interface to come up, other than following the link.

Sent: Monday, March 09, 2020 4:50 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Using Zoom

[...]

chris judge

Hey Gene. I use zoom all the time. You don’t need to set up an account, although doing so gives you a lot more flexibility. My advice would be:

  1. Go to: www.zoo.us
  2. Create an account.
  3. Download the zoom conferencing software.
  4. Run the client and sign in.

If you make certain settings changes before you join your first meeting you will not have to worry about them later. The reason you aren’t seeing anything when you press alt is because there are no traditional menus as such. When you switch to windows 10 you will experience this more and more. You should, however, be able to find the settings button, press space bar to expand it, go through the settings and decide how you want to client to behave. You can, for instance decide if you want to join meetings with video on or, as well as if you want your mic to be automatically muted or unmuted when you join a meeting. There are lots of other settings as well. I know you use NVDA, but freedomscientific did a webinar on using zoom. It assumes you are using jaws, but whatever screen reader you use doesn’t really effect the functionality of zoom.

Sent: Monday, March 09, 2020 4:50 PM

[...]

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Gene, Zoom is easy to use. When you get that screen, activate the join button. There you will find an edit box where you place the meeting ID. It's a long set of digits. Probably best to copy and paste. Then you will get a screen with some options on it like turn on video, turn off audio and the like. Activate the ones you want.

Once you log into your meeting, alt-a mutes you. Alt-u gives you the list of users on the call. It's simple to operate.

What meeting is this you want to attend? If you send me the meeting ID, I can log on and we can test it for you. I have my own room, and if I can figure out how to invite you, we could test it that way as well, though today is rather nuts schedule-wise. I have a doctor's appt. and then I've got to see a student this afn. I wouldn't be free till this evening, which is probably when your meeting is. <frowning> Sorry!

Mystic Access has a tutorial on Zoom, I believe it's about an hour long. Once you get accustomed to Zoom, you'll wonder what ever you did without it. <smiling>

Ann P.