Do any of the book players record in stereo?

Steven Johnson <saxmonger@...>

The subject sums it up.  I don’t think that the Victor 2nd Generation records in stereo with 2 internal mics, but do any of the other ones?  Thanks for your help.

Evan Reese

Yes, the Book Sense records in stereo.
Make sure it’s set to stereo in the Recording Settings menu. Also, make sure it’s set to Line In and Not Microphone. Then plug a stereo patchcord into it and you’ll get stereo recording.
For best fidelity, you probably want to set it to wav instead of mp3. I’m pretty sure it only records at 128kbps and I don’t think there’s any way to change that.
There are several sampling rates you can choose from though, so you’ll want to check to be sure it’s on 44kHz.
Evan

Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 5:40 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Do any of the book players record in stereo?

The subject sums it up.  I don’t think that the Victor 2nd Generation records in stereo with 2 internal mics, but do any of the other ones?  Thanks for your help.

Evan Reese

If you’re talking about microphone only recording, then the Book Sense does not record in stereo. It has only one internal mike.
Evan

Hi Evan.  You told me exactly what I wanted to know.  My Uncle has a bunch of old classic soul records that he won’t allow to leave his home, so I thought about killing 2 birds with 1 stone and finding a book player that records in stereo so I could read, as well as plug a turntable preamp into his old Pioneer record player and capture a few of these great old records.  Thanks.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Evan Reese
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 3:08 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Do any of the book players record in stereo?

If you’re talking about microphone only recording, then the Book Sense does not record in stereo. It has only one internal mike.

Evan

john s

I thought i heard that the bookports record in stereo.

At 06:13 PM 3/14/2020, Steven Johnson, wrote:
Hi Evan.  You told me exactly what I wanted to know.  My Uncle has a bunch of old classic soul records that he won’t allow to leave his home, so I thought about killing 2 birds with 1 stone and finding a book player that records in stereo so I could read, as well as plug a turntable preamp into his old Pioneer record player and capture a few of these great old records.  Thanks.

Evan

John

Evan Reese

You’re welcome Steven.
You can monitor the recording by plugging headphones into the headphone jack on the Book Sense.
You may have to play around with the output level a bit before you really get started. I don’t know whether the Microphone Sensitivity setting also works with line in recordings or not. You will get some serious audio compression if the level is too high.
Fortunately, you should be able to hear whether that is happening pretty quickly if you listen to it while it’s recording and find a good output level.
Evan

Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 6:13 PM

Evan

Victor

Does the iPhone record in stereo? Do any smart phones or tablets record in stereo?

Victor

On Mar 14, 2020, at 3:54 PM, Evan Reese <mentat1@...> wrote:

You’re welcome Steven.
You can monitor the recording by plugging headphones into the headphone jack on the Book Sense.
You may have to play around with the output level a bit before you really get started. I don’t know whether the Microphone Sensitivity setting also works with line in recordings or not. You will get some serious audio compression if the level is too high.
Fortunately, you should be able to hear whether that is happening pretty quickly if you listen to it while it’s recording and find a good output level.
Evan

Evan

You can buy stereo microphones that plug into the Lightning port for the iPhone, but the iPhone records in mono from its microphone.  My wife’s Samsung A70 records in stereo from its mics though.  She records videos of my gigs with it, and they sound really nice.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Victor
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 4:01 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

Does the iPhone record in stereo? Do any smart phones or tablets record in stereo?

Victor

You’re welcome Steven.

Evan

Evan

Victor

That’s what I thought. I think the iPhone records the screen in stereo, but I didn’t think it recorded from the external microphone in the stereo.

Thanks,

Victor

On Mar 14, 2020, at 4:09 PM, Steven Johnson <saxmonger@...> wrote:

You can buy stereo microphones that plug into the Lightning port for the iPhone, but the iPhone records in mono from its microphone.  My wife’s Samsung A70 records in stereo from its mics though.  She records videos of my gigs with it, and they sound really nice.

Victor

You’re welcome Steven.

Evan

Evan

Gene

How much does the player cost?  Would it make more sense to purchase a digital recorder and a less expensive book player for reading? 

Or, perhaps do you have a laptop already?  Getting a USB external sound card with a line-in jack would be much cheaper than anything else. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 5:13 PM

Evan

Pamela Dominguez

Yes, they do.  At least the bookport desktop does, I’m pretty sure I remember seeing it in the recording settings.  Pam. 

Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 6:25 PM

I thought i heard that the bookports record in stereo.

At 06:13 PM 3/14/2020, Steven Johnson, wrote:

Evan

John

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

I will do some checking to make sure but I believe someone on the VIPhone list said there is an app and I think it is called Dolby on, which records in stereo.
Marie

Victor

You’re welcome Steven.
Evan

Evan

Victor

Hi Marie:

That would be great.

Thanks,

Victor

On Mar 14, 2020, at 8:40 PM, Marie <magpie.mn@...> wrote:

I will do some checking to make sure but I believe someone on the VIPhone list said there is an app and I think it is called Dolby on, which records in stereo.
Marie

Victor

You’re welcome Steven.
Evan

Evan

Norma A. Boge

The Book Port Plus records in

PCM 44.1kHz Stereo
MP3 256kbps Stereo
MP3 128kbps Stereo

HTH,

Norma

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steven Johnson
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 4:41 PM

Vicky Vaughan

Hi there List, My iPhone 5S came with stereo headphones that also act as a microphone.  However, I don’t know if they actually would make

a recording be in stereo. 

Do you know?

I bought an adapter for them so they will work with my iPhone 8.

Thanks very much!

Sincerely, Vicky V

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steven Johnson
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 7:10 PM

Victor

You’re welcome Steven.

Evan

Evan

Virus-free. www.avg.com

John Dowling <1008jmd@...>

depends on what headphones you got.
The senhizer smart ambios records in stereo, but there pretty expensive.
HTH,
John.

On Mar 15, 2020, at 2:07 PM, Vicky Vaughan <vrvaughan63@...> wrote:

Hi there List, My iPhone 5S came with stereo headphones that also act as a microphone.  However, I don’t know if they actually would make 
a recording be in stereo.  

Do you know?

I bought an adapter for them so they will work with my iPhone 8.

Thanks very much!

Sincerely, Vicky V

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steven Johnson
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 7:10 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Do any of the book players record in stereo?

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Victor
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 4:01 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

Victor

You’re welcome Steven.
Evan

Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 6:13 PM

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Evan Reese
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 3:08 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Evan

Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 5:40 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Do any of the book players record in stereo?

The subject sums it up.  I don’t think that the Victor 2nd Generation records in stereo with 2 internal mics, but do any of the other ones?  Thanks for your help.

Virus-free. www.avg.com