unwanted voices

Joe Giovanelli

Hello List,

I'm trying to learn how to use a smart phone.

I can use Assistant to dial phone numbers, and that works. Only one thing. Talkback continues to talk while I am on the phone.

Is there a way to make that stop? I know that I can call using the Dialer, but would that be any different from what I am experiencing? I can't locate the Dialer.

I thank you for any ideas you folks have.

Joe Giovanelli, W2PVY

Ron Canazzi

Hi Joe,

I am using an iPhone.  There is a hotkey or hot touch for turning on/off speech. TalkBack is for Androids. Try using any such hotkey or hot touch for that screen reader and phone.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Norma A. Boge

Hi Joe,

Phones running Android have a proximity sensor, usually located in the top left corner of the screen. Any time you want to silence TalkBack, just wave your hand over that area and TB should stop. Putting the phone up to your ear should also activate the proximity sensor, although my Pixel 3A does stop after a few more words.

You will find a lot of help regarding Android on the ANATAD list, all levels of expertise and a friendly list. A great podcast drops about every week, as well. To subscribe, send a blank message to
anatad+unsubscribe@....

HTH
Norma
I am using an iPhone. There is a hotkey or hot touch for turning on/off speech. TalkBack is for Androids. Try using any such hotkey or hot touch for that screen reader and phone.

On 3/16/2020 11:41 AM, Joe Giovanelli wrote:
Hello List,

I'm trying to learn how to use a smart phone.

I can use Assistant to dial phone numbers, and that works. Only one thing. Talkback continues to talk while I am on the phone.

Is there a way to make that stop? I know that I can call using the Dialer, but would that be any different from what I am experiencing? I can't locate the Dialer.

I thank you for any ideas you folks have.

Joe Giovanelli, W2PVY

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Mr. Giovanelli, your question might be better addressed on an Android list.
Please permit me to ask a question, may be two since I'm Oliver Twist!!

What make/model is your phone?

Do you have the Proximity Sensor turned on?

Sorry, I have a third question: What version of Android is your toy
running?

Ok, I'll run a mile first, and then come back for the answers!! Hopefully,
I might be able to help you sort out a few things. Have lots of fun with
your new toy and welcome to Androidville if you are new to the land!!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Joe Giovanelli

Good morning, Alusegun,

My phone is a ZTE Blade Force.

I did not know there is a proximity senser.

I do not know version it is. I'll check it when I can. I can tell you that the instruction manual is dated 2017.

Joe G.

Mr. Giovanelli, your question might be better addressed on an Android list.
Please permit me to ask a question, may be two since I'm Oliver Twist!!

What make/model is your phone?

Do you have the Proximity Sensor turned on?

Sorry, I have a third question: What version of Android is your toy
running?

Ok, I'll run a mile first, and then come back for the answers!! Hopefully,
I might be able to help you sort out a few things. Have lots of fun with
your new toy and welcome to Androidville if you are new to the land!!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Joe Giovanelli

Good morning, Norma,

I didn't know there is a proximity senser. I just received another messagbe about that.

I'll subscribe to the Anitad list.

Thank you for writing.

Joe G.

I am using an iPhone. There is a hotkey or hot touch for turning on/off speech. TalkBack is for Androids. Try using any such hotkey or hot touch for that screen reader and phone.

On 3/16/2020 11:41 AM, Joe Giovanelli wrote:
Hello List,

I'm trying to learn how to use a smart phone.

I can use Assistant to dial phone numbers, and that works. Only one thing. Talkback continues to talk while I am on the phone.

Is there a way to make that stop? I know that I can call using the Dialer, but would that be any different from what I am experiencing? I can't locate the Dialer.

I thank you for any ideas you folks have.

Joe Giovanelli, W2PVY

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Joe Giovanelli

Hi, Norma,

Fortunately I have some help or I would not have gotten to where I am now.

There was NO proximity Sensor on my phone. Its instruction manual didn't show such a thing. With some searching, my friend found that this is an app, which he installed and set up according to instructions.

When I approach the screen, I no longer set off Talkback. As of now, though, I cannot seem to open Google Assistant so I can make a call. I have not done well with the phone's dial pad, although I did make a call using it. I'll need to try this again to see if that works.

It is possible that I'm having trouble because of basic unfamiliarity with this phone.

Joe G.

I am using an iPhone. There is a hotkey or hot touch for turning on/off speech. TalkBack is for Androids. Try using any such hotkey or hot touch for that screen reader and phone.

On 3/16/2020 11:41 AM, Joe Giovanelli wrote:
Hello List,

I'm trying to learn how to use a smart phone.

I can use Assistant to dial phone numbers, and that works. Only one thing. Talkback continues to talk while I am on the phone.

Is there a way to make that stop? I know that I can call using the Dialer, but would that be any different from what I am experiencing? I can't locate the Dialer.

I thank you for any ideas you folks have.

Joe Giovanelli, W2PVY

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Norma A. Boge

Hi Joe,

I'm glad you got the extemporaneous TalkBack speech silenced on your phone.
I apologize for assuming all phones running Anroid have proximity sensors.
My bad. <smile>

Hope to see you on the ANATAD list,