Another Openbook 9 Update, 9.0.1696.403

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi All,

Below is the direct download link for this newest OB 9 update.  This update was released Monday March 7, 2016, at least that's what was told to me by Freedom Scientific tech support.  This update, OB9.0.1696.403, fixes something from the February update, OB9.0.1695.403.  I couldn't find what this update is supposed to fix from the prior version.

Take care.
Mike
The key to happiness, is having a crappy memory.

Gene

I would suggest sending a follow-up message to the lists you sent this message to.  I don't know the details but more than one person has reported that registering this new update has caused problems with their current JAWS registration.  I would suggest not upgrading Openbook without knowing what you might have to do to reregister JAWS.  And, given this problem, does the new upgrade do enough to justify the annoyance and inconvenience?  I don't know but until this problem is corrected, you may decide it doesn't.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2016 6:55 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Another Openbook 9 Update, 9.0.1696.403

Hi All,

Below is the direct download link for this newest OB 9 update.  This update was released Monday March 7, 2016, at least that's what was told to me by Freedom Scientific tech support.  This update, OB9.0.1696.403, fixes something from the February update, OB9.0.1695.403.  I couldn't find what this update is supposed to fix from the prior version.

Take care.
Mike

Robin Frost

Hi,
It was my understanding that this update was pushed out to correct just that very issue along with some others.
I hope that helps.
If I’m wrong I’m sure someone will post in short order (smile).
Robin

Sent: Wednesday, March 9, 2016 8:05 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Another Openbook 9 Update, 9.0.1696.403

I would suggest sending a follow-up message to the lists you sent this message to.  I don't know the details but more than one person has reported that registering this new update has caused problems with their current JAWS registration.  I would suggest not upgrading Openbook without knowing what you might have to do to reregister JAWS.  And, given this problem, does the new upgrade do enough to justify the annoyance and inconvenience?  I don't know but until this problem is corrected, you may decide it doesn't.

Gene

Hi All,

Below is the direct download link for this newest OB 9 update.  This update was released Monday March 7, 2016, at least that's what was told to me by Freedom Scientific tech support.  This update, OB9.0.1696.403, fixes something from the February update, OB9.0.1695.403.  I couldn't find what this update is supposed to fix from the prior version.

Take care.
Mike

Michael Boyd <michael_boyd.70359@...>

I installed this latest update, and now I get the error message “Unknown error. Please close Openbook and re-open to try again”. I have called FS on this twice, and still cannot get a fix for the problem. I have ran a repair on the program, and uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail. My previous version was working just fine, but now even it gives me the same error message. I have a stack of mail and other papers that need reading, and it is going to take me quite a while to scan through them when I do get OB to work.

Michael

Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2016 7:27 PM

Hi,
It was my understanding that this update was pushed out to correct just that very issue along with some others.
I hope that helps.
Robin

Gene

Hi All,

Below is the direct download link for this newest OB 9 update.  This update was released Monday March 7, 2016, at least that's what was told to me by Freedom Scientific tech support.  This update, OB9.0.1696.403, fixes something from the February update, OB9.0.1695.403.  I couldn't find what this update is supposed to fix from the prior version.

Take care.
Mike

Gerald Levy

Mike, if I were you, I would call FS and demand to speak directly to Eric Damery.  Releasing a broken update to fix another update that was also broken is totally unacceptable, and indicates lackadaisical carelessness on the part of FS’s tech support team that reports to Mr. Damery.

Gerald

Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 12:54 AM

I installed this latest update, and now I get the error message “Unknown error. Please close Openbook and re-open to try again”. I have called FS on this twice, and still cannot get a fix for the problem. I have ran a repair on the program, and uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail. My previous version was working just fine, but now even it gives me the same error message. I have a stack of mail and other papers that need reading, and it is going to take me quite a while to scan through them when I do get OB to work.

Michael

Hi,
I hope that helps.
Robin

Gene

Hi All,

Take care.
Mike

Gerald Levy

Yes, when I installed the previous update to Open Book, bversion 9.0.1695, it caused JAWS 16 to revert to the Professional version in 40 minute demo mode.  A few other Open Book users reported encountering the same problem. I had to re-authorize JAWS to restore it to the Home Use version in normal, full mode.

Gerald

Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2016 8:05 PM

Gene

Hi All,

Take care.
Mike

Gerald,

You know, mine did the same thing. When I upgraded to Jaws 17, I switched to the Home version, but had been using the Professional version before that. Now, I installed this update to Openbook, and when Jaws starts on my computer, it says that it is the professional version. Go figure! How in the heck does that happen? FS is starting to get pretty bad in their efforts to produce the good products that they used to, and the support fairly sucks too. I hope something happens to turn them back around, and all of this merging with other companies is not going to do it. They are going to grow too large to be worried about the satisfaction of the consumer, and only be worried about the almighty $$$!

Michael

Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 5:55 AM

Yes, when I installed the previous update to Open Book, bversion 9.0.1695, it caused JAWS 16 to revert to the Professional version in 40 minute demo mode.  A few other Open Book users reported encountering the same problem. I had to re-authorize JAWS to restore it to the Home Use version in normal, full mode.

Gerald

Gene

Hi All,

Take care.
Mike

Gerald Levy

When you pay $1000 for a software product like Open Book, you have to right to expect it to work correctly.  .  As Vice-Presiden of Software Development for Freedom Scientific, Eric Damery has a responsibility to see to it that all updates to FS programs like Open Book and JAWS work correctly and do not contain bugs before they are relaesed. Is he a hands-on manager, or is he now primarily a salesman whose job is to promote FS’s software products?  You have to wonder.

Gerald

Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 7:20 AM

Gerald,

You know, mine did the same thing. When I upgraded to Jaws 17, I switched to the Home version, but had been using the Professional version before that. Now, I installed this update to Openbook, and when Jaws starts on my computer, it says that it is the professional version. Go figure! How in the heck does that happen? FS is starting to get pretty bad in their efforts to produce the good products that they used to, and the support fairly sucks too. I hope something happens to turn them back around, and all of this merging with other companies is not going to do it. They are going to grow too large to be worried about the satisfaction of the consumer, and only be worried about the almighty $$$!

Michael

Gerald

Gene

Hi All,

Take care.
Mike

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Gerald & Michael,

Well, this new update would not install at all.  I must have tried 20 times, & this is no exageration!  Even FS tech support could  not get it to install on this computer.  I ended up having to repair Jaws 16 & Openbook to get my computer right again.  Neither update, OB9.0.1695.403 or, OB9.0.1696.403 would install.  So, I'm back to 9.0.1543 after around 5 hours of wasted time.  So much for an update that's supposed to fix an update!
Take care.
Mike

Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 4:36 AM

When you pay $1000 for a software product like Open Book, you have to right to expect it to work correctly.  .  As Vice-Presiden of Software Development for Freedom Scientific, Eric Damery has a responsibility to see to it that all updates to FS programs like Open Book and JAWS work correctly and do not contain bugs before they are relaesed. Is he a hands-on manager, or is he now primarily a salesman whose job is to promote FS’s software products?  You have to wonder.

Gerald

Gerald,

Michael

Gerald

Gene

Hi All,

Take care.
Mike

Gene

More negativity.  I really don't think it is fair to accuse FS, which generally has a good record, as you do.  I don't know how these updates are tested and that may be a problem.  but all sorts of reputable companies put out bad updates now and then. 

Frankly, speaking of what is unacceptable, I find such disparagement and assumption of bad motivation and carelessness to be unacceptable.  And, as I say off and on, I am not speaking as a moderator.  I am speaking as a member. 

Far more constructive than demanding to talk with this or that person at Freedom Scientific, is a question such as, have you tried running a restore point from before you ran the update?  And, although it won't help now, the point should be made that people should check to make sure System Restore is on now, before they do anything that changes there computer in future unless you already have a roll back system you like more.  Running a restore point might or might not solve the problem but it is important to have the ability to do so available and this is a sterling example of why.
Gene
----- original Message -----

Mike, if I were you, I would call FS and demand to speak directly to Eric Damery.  Releasing a broken update to fix another update that was also broken is totally unacceptable, and indicates lackadaisical carelessness on the part of FS’s tech support team that reports to Mr. Damery.

Gerald

Michael

Hi,
I hope that helps.
Robin

Gene

Hi All,

Take care.
Mike

Gerald Levy

I was able to install Open Book 9.0.1695 successfully, and it seems to work without any problems.  But as I have mentioned, this update somehow caused JAWS 16 to revert from the Home Use version in full mode to the Professional version in 40 minute demo mode.  To restore JAWS to normal, I simply launched the Update Authorization dialog on the Help menu and followed the prompts.  I did not have to repair or reinstall JAWS 16.

Gerald

Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 8:30 AM

Hi Gerald & Michael,

Well, this new update would not install at all.  I must have tried 20 times, & this is no exageration!  Even FS tech support could  not get it to install on this computer.  I ended up having to repair Jaws 16 & Openbook to get my computer right again.  Neither update, OB9.0.1695.403 or, OB9.0.1696.403 would install.  So, I'm back to 9.0.1543 after around 5 hours of wasted time.  So much for an update that's supposed to fix an update!
Take care.
Mike

Gerald

Gerald,

Michael

Gerald

Gene

Hi All,

Take care.
Mike

Gene

I'll alter my last comment.  Clearly FS should have tested this new update more carefully.  We don't have enough information to know if the problem would have been detected with more testing because we don't know what the update was and if it affects many machines or a very small number. 

I misunderstood the situation.  While anger is appropriate, calling FS and demanding, in a petulant manner, to speak with Eric Dammery, (spelling) in my opinion, won't accomplish anything but make you look foolish.  When first complaining about a problem, there are other approaches to try that are far more appropriate.  I'll let others discuss what they might be.  I am not familiar with the internal workings of the company. 

And, as I said, we have no information about the extent of the problem yet.  How one complains might be influenced by such knowledge. 

I'm sorry I was as critical of you as I was but this looked to me to be more unjustified negativity.  I still believe that it was far too negative based on the very small amount of information we have but there are grounds for concern. 

Gene 

Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 7:49 AM

More negativity.  I really don't think it is fair to accuse FS, which generally has a good record, as you do.  I don't know how these updates are tested and that may be a problem.  but all sorts of reputable companies put out bad updates now and then. 

Frankly, speaking of what is unacceptable, I find such disparagement and assumption of bad motivation and carelessness to be unacceptable.  And, as I say off and on, I am not speaking as a moderator.  I am speaking as a member. 

Far more constructive than demanding to talk with this or that person at Freedom Scientific, is a question such as, have you tried running a restore point from before you ran the update?  And, although it won't help now, the point should be made that people should check to make sure System Restore is on now, before they do anything that changes there computer in future unless you already have a roll back system you like more.  Running a restore point might or might not solve the problem but it is important to have the ability to do so available and this is a sterling example of why.
Gene

Gerald

Michael

Hi,
I hope that helps.
Robin

Gene

Hi All,

Take care.
Mike

Gene

We are getting enough reports now to indicate that the update may affect a good number of machines.  Jumping to conclusions based on one report is methodologically not justified and more information is needed such as what we are getting now.

this may well be my last comment in this thread.  In short, information is coming in that is beginning to indicate a more serious problem than might have been the case.  But jumping to a conclusion based on one or two reports is not justified.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 8:08 AM

I'll alter my last comment.  Clearly FS should have tested this new update more carefully.  We don't have enough information to know if the problem would have been detected with more testing because we don't know what the update was and if it affects many machines or a very small number. 

I misunderstood the situation.  While anger is appropriate, calling FS and demanding, in a petulant manner, to speak with Eric Dammery, (spelling) in my opinion, won't accomplish anything but make you look foolish.  When first complaining about a problem, there are other approaches to try that are far more appropriate.  I'll let others discuss what they might be.  I am not familiar with the internal workings of the company. 

And, as I said, we have no information about the extent of the problem yet.  How one complains might be influenced by such knowledge. 

I'm sorry I was as critical of you as I was but this looked to me to be more unjustified negativity.  I still believe that it was far too negative based on the very small amount of information we have but there are grounds for concern. 

Gene 

Gene

Gerald

Michael

Hi,
I hope that helps.
Robin

Gene

Hi All,

Take care.
Mike

Gerald Levy

I merely meant to point out that Eric Damery should be made aware of problems with software updates because he is the public “face” of Freedom Scientific’s software development team.  Of course, this can be accomplished politely and diplomatically without resorting to harsh words or nastiness.

Gerald

Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 9:08 AM

I'll alter my last comment.  Clearly FS should have tested this new update more carefully.  We don't have enough information to know if the problem would have been detected with more testing because we don't know what the update was and if it affects many machines or a very small number. 

I misunderstood the situation.  While anger is appropriate, calling FS and demanding, in a petulant manner, to speak with Eric Dammery, (spelling) in my opinion, won't accomplish anything but make you look foolish.  When first complaining about a problem, there are other approaches to try that are far more appropriate.  I'll let others discuss what they might be.  I am not familiar with the internal workings of the company. 

Gene 

Gene

Gerald

Michael

Hi,
I hope that helps.
Robin

Gene

Hi All,

Take care.
Mike

Lenron

Of course FS has been slipping for a while. After I seen all the
issues I decided not to install this update because I don't wish it to
break my copy of Jaws. I will just wait until this is sorted out.

On 3/10/16, Gerald Levy <bwaylimited@verizon.net> wrote:

I merely meant to point out that Eric Damery should be made aware of
problems with software updates because he is the public “face” of Freedom
Scientific’s software development team. Of course, this can be accomplished
politely and diplomatically without resorting to harsh words or nastiness.

Gerald

Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 9:08 AM
To: TechTalk@groups.io

I'll alter my last comment. Clearly FS should have tested this new update
more carefully. We don't have enough information to know if the problem
would have been detected with more testing because we don't know what the
update was and if it affects many machines or a very small number.

I misunderstood the situation. While anger is appropriate, calling FS and
demanding, in a petulant manner, to speak with Eric Dammery, (spelling) in
my opinion, won't accomplish anything but make you look foolish. When first
complaining about a problem, there are other approaches to try that are far
more appropriate. I'll let others discuss what they might be. I am not
familiar with the internal workings of the company.

And, as I said, we have no information about the extent of the problem yet.
How one complains might be influenced by such knowledge.

I'm sorry I was as critical of you as I was but this looked to me to be more
unjustified negativity. I still believe that it was far too negative based
on the very small amount of information we have but there are grounds for
concern.

Gene

More negativity. I really don't think it is fair to accuse FS, which
generally has a good record, as you do. I don't know how these updates are
tested and that may be a problem. but all sorts of reputable companies put
out bad updates now and then.

Frankly, speaking of what is unacceptable, I find such disparagement and
assumption of bad motivation and carelessness to be unacceptable. And, as I
say off and on, I am not speaking as a moderator. I am speaking as a
member.

Far more constructive than demanding to talk with this or that person at
Freedom Scientific, is a question such as, have you tried running a restore
point from before you ran the update? And, although it won't help now, the
point should be made that people should check to make sure System Restore is
on now, before they do anything that changes there computer in future unless
you already have a roll back system you like more. Running a restore point
might or might not solve the problem but it is important to have the ability
to do so available and this is a sterling example of why.
Gene

Mike, if I were you, I would call FS and demand to speak directly to Eric
Damery. Releasing a broken update to fix another update that was also
broken is totally unacceptable, and indicates lackadaisical carelessness on
the part of FS’s tech support team that reports to Mr. Damery.

Gerald

I installed this latest update, and now I get the error message “Unknown
error. Please close Openbook and re-open to try again”. I have called FS on
this twice, and still cannot get a fix for the problem. I have ran a repair
on the program, and uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail. My previous
version was working just fine, but now even it gives me the same error
message. I have a stack of mail and other papers that need reading, and it
is going to take me quite a while to scan through them when I do get OB to
work.

Michael
michael_boyd.70359@yahoo.com

Hi,
It was my understanding that this update was pushed out to correct just that
very issue along with some others.
I hope that helps.
Robin

I would suggest sending a follow-up message to the lists you sent this
message to. I don't know the details but more than one person has reported
that registering this new update has caused problems with their current JAWS
registration. I would suggest not upgrading Openbook without knowing what
you might have to do to reregister JAWS. And, given this problem, does the
new upgrade do enough to justify the annoyance and inconvenience? I don't
know but until this problem is corrected, you may decide it doesn't.

Gene

Hi All,

Below is the direct download link for this newest OB 9 update. This update
was released Monday March 7, 2016, at least that's what was told to me by
Freedom Scientific tech support. This update, OB9.0.1696.403, fixes
something from the February update, OB9.0.1695.403. I couldn't find what
this update is supposed to fix from the prior version.

http://files.freedomscientific.com/WebFiles/AutoUpdate/OB9.0.1696.403-ENU.exe

Take care.
Mike
--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832

Well, I tried to revert back to 9.0.1543, but I still get the same message when performing a scan or checking orientation. It says,

“Openbook has encountered an unknown problem, please close Openbook and restart it to try again”.

I have gotten this message since performing the first update, I have not tried installing the second update, but I did uninstall the first and reinstalled 9.0.1543, but now it will not work for me either.

Michael

Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 7:30 AM

Hi Gerald & Michael,

Take care.
Mike

Gerald

Gerald,

Michael

Gerald

Gene

Hi All,

Take care.
Mike

Gerald Levy

This may be a dumb question, but have you tried a System Restore or Rollback RX to restore your computer to the state it was in before you updated Open Book?

Gerald

Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 9:59 AM

Well, I tried to revert back to 9.0.1543, but I still get the same message when performing a scan or checking orientation. It says,

“Openbook has encountered an unknown problem, please close Openbook and restart it to try again”.

I have gotten this message since performing the first update, I have not tried installing the second update, but I did uninstall the first and reinstalled 9.0.1543, but now it will not work for me either.

Michael

Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 7:30 AM

Hi Gerald & Michael,

Take care.
Mike

Gerald

Gerald,

Michael

Gerald

Gene

Hi All,

Take care.
Mike

Carlos

I agree that more testing might be in order, but when you make comments about insuring that all updates do not contain bugs, clearly you have never been involved in any kind of software development.  Bugs will occur no matter how thorough the testing process.  And the more sophisticated the software, the more likely it is that there will be bugs.  Also, no testing process can ever completely take into account all the potential minor differences in individual systems and configurations which might contribute to the possibility of such problems.  I understand that it is frustrating when you pay $1000 for a piece of software and you then have to deal with these types of issues, but it is an unavoidable fact that there will always be bugs introduced during software development.  Software is written by humans and humans make mistakes.

Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 7:36 AM

Gerald

Gerald,

Michael

Gerald

Gene

Hi All,

Take care.
Mike

George B <gbmagoo@...>

i just updated for tow p c’s, and have no issues at all.
i downloade the latest update and then installed it on both p c’s and like i said i ran them both with no issues

On Mar 10, 2016, at 7:20 AM, Carlos <carlos1106@...> wrote:

I agree that more testing might be in order, but when you make comments about insuring that all updates do not contain bugs, clearly you have never been involved in any kind of software development.  Bugs will occur no matter how thorough the testing process.  And the more sophisticated the software, the more likely it is that there will be bugs.  Also, no testing process can ever completely take into account all the potential minor differences in individual systems and configurations which might contribute to the possibility of such problems.  I understand that it is frustrating when you pay $1000 for a piece of software and you then have to deal with these types of issues, but it is an unavoidable fact that there will always be bugs introduced during software development.  Software is written by humans and humans make mistakes.
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 7:36 AM

Gerald

Gerald,

Michael

Gerald

Gene

Hi All,

Take care.
Mike

Ann Parsons <akp@...>

Hi all,

Gene, although I agree that unproven negativity is unproductive, may I suggest that since OB has not been updated in years, not months or weeks, but years, the original programmers of the software may not still be working for FS. Their notes on their code may be good or not, but it is possible that since the code has been languishing for years, there may be some parts of it that need revamping in order to mesh with todays technology.

The current programming team may have thought the code was new enough that it would work without a complete overhaul.

I don't know, but it is clear from what has happened in the past severalyears, that OB is not and has not been in the forefront of FS' priorities. I don't know why they chose to update OB now, but I suspect the rationale was driven by corporate competition and therefore, the care and meticulousness needed for programming of any kind may not have been as thorough as it might have been.

This does often happen with companies that a software package is released with significant problems, I don't see that trashing FS will aid in the process. It is what it is. One must make decisions on which software to purchase to do a given task. Frankly, if I wanted OCR software to scanbooks and to do frequent scanning and so on, I'd choose Kurzie. That's all they do, OCR software. That's why they do it best.

It is unfortunate that folks who have purchased OB are the ones who are suffering because of this glitch.

FS has so many products that perhaps they are scattered too thinly to make anything really tip-top.

Ann P.

Original message:

More negativity. I really don't think it is fair to accuse FS, which generally has a good record, as you do. I don't know how these updates are tested and that may be a problem. but all sorts of reputable companies put out bad updates now and then.
Frankly, speaking of what is unacceptable, I find such disparagement and assumption of bad motivation and carelessness to be unacceptable. And, as I say off and on, I am not speaking as a moderator. I am speaking as a member.
Far more constructive than demanding to talk with this or that person at Freedom Scientific, is a question such as, have you tried running a restore point from before you ran the update? And, although it won't help now, the point should be made that people should check to make sure System Restore is on now, before they do anything that changes there computer in future unless you already have a roll back system you like more. Running a restore point might or might not solve the problem but it is important to have the ability to do so available and this is a sterling example of why.
Gene
----- original Message
--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@samobile.net
web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."