From: Mike B.
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2016 6:55 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Another Openbook 9 Update, 9.0.1696.403

Hi All,

Below is the direct download link for this newest OB 9 update.  This update was released Monday March 7, 2016, at least that's what was told to me by Freedom Scientific tech support.  This update, OB9.0.1696.403, fixes something from the February update, OB9.0.1695.403.  I couldn't find what this update is supposed to fix from the prior version.

Take care.
Mike
The key to happiness, is having a crappy memory.

Robin Frost

Hi,
It was my understanding that this update was pushed out to correct just that very issue along with some others.
I hope that helps.
If I’m wrong I’m sure someone will post in short order (smile).
Robin

I would suggest sending a follow-up message to the lists you sent this message to.  I don't know the details but more than one person has reported that registering this new update has caused problems with their current JAWS registration.  I would suggest not upgrading Openbook without knowing what you might have to do to reregister JAWS.  And, given this problem, does the new upgrade do enough to justify the annoyance and inconvenience?  I don't know but until this problem is corrected, you may decide it doesn't.

Below is the direct download link for this newest OB 9 update.  This update was released Monday March 7, 2016, at least that's what was told to me by Freedom Scientific tech support.  This update, OB9.0.1696.403, fixes something from the February update, OB9.0.1695.403.  I couldn't find what this update is supposed to fix from the prior version.

Take care.
Mike
The key to happiness, is having a crappy memory.

Michael Boyd <michael_boyd.70359@...>

I installed this latest update, and now I get the error message “Unknown error. Please close Openbook and re-open to try again”. I have called FS on this twice, and still cannot get a fix for the problem. I have ran a repair on the program, and uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail. My previous version was working just fine, but now even it gives me the same error message. I have a stack of mail and other papers that need reading, and it is going to take me quite a while to scan through them when I do get OB to work.

Michael

[...]

Gerald Levy

Mike, if I were you, I would call FS and demand to speak directly to Eric Damery.  Releasing a broken update to fix another update that was also broken is totally unacceptable, and indicates lackadaisical carelessness on the part of FS’s tech support team that reports to Mr. Damery.

Gerald

Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 12:54 AM

[...]

Yes, when I installed the previous update to Open Book, bversion 9.0.1695, it caused JAWS 16 to revert to the Professional version in 40 minute demo mode.  A few other Open Book users reported encountering the same problem. I had to re-authorize JAWS to restore it to the Home Use version in normal, full mode.

Gerald

[...]

Gerald,

You know, mine did the same thing. When I upgraded to Jaws 17, I switched to the Home version, but had been using the Professional version before that. Now, I installed this update to Openbook, and when Jaws starts on my computer, it says that it is the professional version. Go figure! How in the heck does that happen? FS is starting to get pretty bad in their efforts to produce the good products that they used to, and the support fairly sucks too. I hope something happens to turn them back around, and all of this merging with other companies is not going to do it. They are going to grow too large to be worried about the satisfaction of the consumer, and only be worried about the almighty $$$!

Michael

Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 5:55 AM

[...]

When you pay $1000 for a software product like Open Book, you have to right to expect it to work correctly.  .  As Vice-Presiden of Software Development for Freedom Scientific, Eric Damery has a responsibility to see to it that all updates to FS programs like Open Book and JAWS work correctly and do not contain bugs before they are relaesed. Is he a hands-on manager, or is he now primarily a salesman whose job is to promote FS’s software products?  You have to wonder.

Gerald

Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 7:20 AM

Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 5:55 AM

[...]

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Gerald & Michael,

Well, this new update would not install at all.  I must have tried 20 times, & this is no exageration!  Even FS tech support could  not get it to install on this computer.  I ended up having to repair Jaws 16 & Openbook to get my computer right again.  Neither update, OB9.0.1695.403 or, OB9.0.1696.403 would install.  So, I'm back to 9.0.1543 after around 5 hours of wasted time.  So much for an update that's supposed to fix an update!

Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 7:20 AM

Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 5:55 AM