HP preinstalled software question

Keith S

Anyone using  an HP computer running  windows 10 and Jaws:

Is it imparative that I keep these preinstalled HP proprietary software programs installed, or can I remove them from my HP laptop?

I am trying to figure out what is slowing my system down so much taht it takes over 5 minutes for a firefox webpage to load on my computer.

Also, I tought computers were supposed to allow multi-tasking, but if I have more than 2 things open, my system almost stalls, like a jet fighter getting caught in another jet's airflow.

Thanks

Keith

Gene

Preinstalled software wouldn't cause this problem. If it did, the
company would be bankrupt unless it did something about it. If this
is a new computer, I would suggest exchanging it for a different
brand. This behavior isn't remotely normal or expected.

Gene

On 3/28/20, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@gmail.com> wrote:
Anyone using an HP computer running windows 10 and Jaws:

Is it imparative that I keep these preinstalled HP proprietary software
programs installed, or can I remove them from my HP laptop?

I am trying to figure out what is slowing my system down so much taht it
takes over 5 minutes for a firefox webpage to load on my computer.

Also, I tought computers were supposed to allow multi-tasking, but if I have
more than 2 things open, my system almost stalls, like a jet fighter getting
caught in another jet's airflow.

Thanks

Keith

Rob Hudson

Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:
Preinstalled software wouldn't cause this problem. If it did, the
company would be bankrupt unless it did something about it.
To add to this, it certainly isn't helping you, either. Go ahead and remove it.
There are all kinds of packages preinstalled on these things that you don't really need, like McAfee and background maintenance services, and photo packages. If at all possible I suggest doing a fresh, clean install of w10 from a Microsoft provided iso. Wipe everything and start clean. That's what I did with my new Dell a couple of weeks ago.

Gene

But if this is a new machine, why bother? Will installing a clean
version of Windows void the warranty and the return policy? If a new
machine has something obviously wrong with it, I wouldn't try to
repair or correct the problem. You wouldn't do so with products in
general. Why not just return it for something else? Manufactured
computers shouldn't have any such problems. The description, taking
five minutes to load a web page is completely outside of any expected
bahavior.

Gene

On 3/28/20, Rob Hudson <rob_hudson_3182@gmx.com> wrote:
Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:
Preinstalled software wouldn't cause this problem. If it did, the
company would be bankrupt unless it did something about it.
To add to this, it certainly isn't helping you, either. Go ahead and remove
it.
There are all kinds of packages preinstalled on these things that you don't
really need, like McAfee and background maintenance services, and photo
packages. If at all possible I suggest doing a fresh, clean install of w10
from a Microsoft provided iso. Wipe everything and start clean. That's what
I did with my new Dell a couple of weeks ago.

Monte Single

Are there hp items active that you do not want?
If so;
1. open the run dialog with win key plus r,
2. type "msconfig"
3. select the start-up tab and enter.
4. you can use your arrows to move up and down through the list,
5. use the space bar to check or uncheck the items in the list.
Warning; be careful what you unselect. As some of the things in the list of programs are necessary to run your pc.

[...]

the computer is over 2 years old.

Keith

On 3/28/20, Rob Hudson <rob_hudson_3182@...> wrote:
> Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
>> Preinstalled software wouldn't cause this problem.  If it did, the
>> company would be bankrupt unless it did something about it.
>
> To add to this, it certainly isn't helping you, either.  Go ahead and remove
> it.
> There are all kinds of packages preinstalled on these things that you don't
> really need, like McAfee and background maintenance services, and photo
> packages. If at all possible I suggest doing a fresh, clean install of w10
> from a Microsoft provided iso. Wipe everything and start clean. That's what
> I did with my new Dell a couple of weeks ago.

Gene

I'm not at all clear about the sequence of events. Did you just get
this computer? If not, have you had it since it was new and did these
problems just begin? At this point, no one can address the question
of what might be causing these problems properly because we know
nothing about if you had the machine and it worked properly and these
problems just started or the previous history of the machine, such as
if you got it refurbished or from an owner.

Gene

On 3/29/20, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@gmail.com> wrote:
the computer is over 2 years old.

Keith
But if this is a new machine, why bother? Will installing a clean
version of Windows void the warranty and the return policy? If a new
machine has something obviously wrong with it, I wouldn't try to
repair or correct the problem. You wouldn't do so with products in
general. Why not just return it for something else? Manufactured
computers shouldn't have any such problems. The description, taking
five minutes to load a web page is completely outside of any expected
bahavior.

Gene

On 3/28/20, Rob Hudson <rob_hudson_3182@gmx.com> wrote:
> Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Preinstalled software wouldn't cause this problem. If it did, the
>> company would be bankrupt unless it did something about it.
>
> To add to this, it certainly isn't helping you, either. Go ahead and
remove
> it.
> There are all kinds of packages preinstalled on these things that you
don't
> really need, like McAfee and background maintenance services, and photo
> packages. If at all possible I suggest doing a fresh, clean install of
w10
> from a Microsoft provided iso. Wipe everything and start clean. That's
what
> I did with my new Dell a couple of weeks ago.

Keith S

I received the computer some 2 years ago for christmas.  I installed jaws as window eyes was purchased by jaws.

the computer  first had windows 7 or 8 on it, not sure which one.  Microsoft was offering the free upgrade to windows 10 due to them announcing that windows xp would no longer be supported.

My wife's cousin, wwho is a jack of all trades (including fixing his own computer when his wife and children install programs that cause issues on his system) upgraded the computer foor me to windows 10.

The computer is extremely slow, if I  select to open notepad, the CPU starts working overtime, the internal fan is audible, and the system slows to a crawl.

The computer has 8 gigs of ram on board from the factory, and due to the fact that I am moving from windows  xp and window eyes to windows 10 and jaws, I am dealing with a double learning curve.   I assumed that the jaws and windows  10 just did this (slow systems down so much that I can go to the bathroom or make myself a pot of coffee while I wait for a program to open.

Not to mention that when trying  to load a webpage on firefox, I can literally be waiting for 5 minutes before the page actually loads.

The computer came direct  from a warehouse my wife's company has for "gift point" purchases and had not been tampered with or what not since they recieved it from HP.

Shrug.

I know I just need to purchase tutorials for windows 10 and jaws and just suck it up, but the money is not there and has not been due to we being one of the lower 20% in the income pbracket here in the USA.

Keith

On 3/29/20, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@...> wrote:
> the computer is over 2 years old.
>
> Keith

Gene

That is essential information to address your question. Evidently,
either the computer can't run Windows 10, which I consider very
unlikely, a two year old computer should be able to do so if it is a
standard computer, or something resulting from the upgrade is causing
this problem. You may need to go through the restore procedure that
results in a completely clean copy of Windows 10 being on your
computer. Others can discuss how to do it, but it can be done using
your current installation of Windows 10. Whether that is the first
thing to try, those with more technical information can discuss.

Gene

On 3/29/20, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@gmail.com> wrote:
I received the computer some 2 years ago for christmas. I installed jaws as
window eyes was purchased by jaws.

the computer first had windows 7 or 8 on it, not sure which one. Microsoft
was offering the free upgrade to windows 10 due to them announcing that
windows xp would no longer be supported.

My wife's cousin, wwho is a jack of all trades (including fixing his own
computer when his wife and children install programs that cause issues on
his system) upgraded the computer foor me to windows 10.

The computer is extremely slow, if I select to open notepad, the CPU starts
working overtime, the internal fan is audible, and the system slows to a
crawl.

The computer has 8 gigs of ram on board from the factory, and due to the
fact that I am moving from windows xp and window eyes to windows 10 and
jaws, I am dealing with a double learning curve. I assumed that the jaws
and windows 10 just did this (slow systems down so much that I can go to
the bathroom or make myself a pot of coffee while I wait for a program to
open.

Not to mention that when trying to load a webpage on firefox, I can
literally be waiting for 5 minutes before the page actually loads.

The computer came direct from a warehouse my wife's company has for "gift
point" purchases and had not been tampered with or what not since they
recieved it from HP.

Shrug.

I know I just need to purchase tutorials for windows 10 and jaws and just
suck it up, but the money is not there and has not been due to we being one
of the lower 20% in the income pbracket here in the USA.

Keith
I'm not at all clear about the sequence of events. Did you just get
this computer? If not, have you had it since it was new and did these
problems just begin? At this point, no one can address the question
of what might be causing these problems properly because we know
nothing about if you had the machine and it worked properly and these
problems just started or the previous history of the machine, such as
if you got it refurbished or from an owner.

Gene

On 3/29/20, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@gmail.com> wrote:
> the computer is over 2 years old.
>
> Keith

This is very important and I didn't realize it until after I sent my
last message. You say he upgraded the computer. What do you mean?
Did he upgrade your previous system or did he remove what was there
and install a completely new Windows 10? I have been assuming that
upgrade means running an upgrade of your previous system, but I don't
know that. We need to know what was done. My previous answer is only
relevant if an upgrade, not a clean installation was done.

Gene

On 3/29/20, Gene via Groups.Io <gsasner=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
> [...]

point" purchases and had not been tampered with or what not since they
recieved it from HP.

Shrug.

I know I just need to purchase tutorials for windows 10 and jaws and just
suck it up, but the money is not there and has not been due to we being
one
of the lower 20% in the income pbracket here in the USA.

Keith
I'm not at all clear about the sequence of events. Did you just get
this computer? If not, have you had it since it was new and did these
problems just begin? At this point, no one can address the question
of what might be causing these problems properly because we know
nothing about if you had the machine and it worked properly and these
problems just started or the previous history of the machine, such as
if you got it refurbished or from an owner.

A 2 year old computer with 8 gig of ram can run win 10 with jaws, no problem.

There are obviously things happening in the background that are hogging the pc resources.

Get your brother in law to have a look.

Your problem is software, not hardware.

I'm not at all clear about the sequence of events.  Did you just get
this computer?  If not, have you had it since it was new and did these
problems just begin?  At this point, no one can address the question
of what might be causing these problems properly because we know
nothing about if you had the machine and it worked properly and these
problems just started or the previous history of the machine, such as
if you got it refurbished or from an owner.

Gene

On 3/29/20, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@...> wrote:
> the computer is over 2 years old.
>
> Keith

Brian Zolo

Hey there, Keith, Brian Zolo here in Gahanna, Ohio, feel free to call me B Z, grin!  I’ll be glad to assist you if you’d like as I own an hp zbook z17 and I run it on windows 7 but use windows ten at work and certainly would be glad to assist you to see if we can get this thing running much faster for you.  My e-mail address is brianzolo@... and there certainly have been some good suggestions made on the list.  We’ll be happy to walk you through working with msconfig, etc.  Let me know if I can be of further assistance, hey windows ten can be challenging but it’s worth the time and trouble to learn, grin!  Have a great day!  BZ!

I'm not at all clear about the sequence of events.  Did you just get
this computer?  If not, have you had it since it was new and did these
problems just begin?  At this point, no one can address the question
of what might be causing these problems properly because we know
nothing about if you had the machine and it worked properly and these
problems just started or the previous history of the machine, such as
if you got it refurbished or from an owner.

Gene

On 3/29/20, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@...> wrote:
> the computer is over 2 years old.
>
> Keith

Keith S

    Thanks.  Have added you to my address book.   Have sent a info request to my wife's cousin and am awaiting his response.  Will be in touch hopefully shortly.

Thanks

Keith

Hey there, Keith, Brian Zolo here in Gahanna, Ohio, feel free to call me B Z, grin!  I’ll be glad to assist you if you’d like as I own an hp zbook z17 and I run it on windows 7 but use windows ten at work and certainly would be glad to assist you to see if we can get this thing running much faster for you.  My e-mail address is brianzolo@... and there certainly have been some good suggestions made on the list.  We’ll be happy to walk you through working with msconfig, etc.  Let me know if I can be of further assistance, hey windows ten can be challenging but it’s worth the time and trouble to learn, grin!  Have a great day!  BZ!

I'm not at all clear about the sequence of events.  Did you just get
this computer?  If not, have you had it since it was new and did these
problems just begin?  At this point, no one can address the question
of what might be causing these problems properly because we know
nothing about if you had the machine and it worked properly and these
problems just started or the previous history of the machine, such as
if you got it refurbished or from an owner.

Gene

On 3/29/20, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@...> wrote:
> the computer is over 2 years old.
>
> Keith

Brian Zolo

You’re most welcome, Keith!  Let me know what you hear back from your wife’s cousin and I’m ready to assist you any way we can.  During the day, you can reach me at work at 614-692-7124.  After 4 P.M. you can reach me on my cell phone at 614-271-1695.  My e-mail address at work is brian.c.zolo.civ@....  Look forward to hearing from you soon, have a great day and a great week1  BZ!