From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Loy
Sent: April 3, 2020 11:36 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Old Tech question

I use to have a little device before Smart Phones. I think it was called Parrot. You stored all your contacts and phone numbers it,   and when you wanted to call someone you just spoke the name of the contact and held the device up to a regular phone and the device made the tones to dial the number. I wonder if there  would be an app for a tablet that would do the same thing for those who do not have a smart phone?

Loy wrote:

"I use to have a little device before Smart Phones. I think it was called
Parrot. You stored all your contacts and phone numbers it, and when you
wanted to call someone you just spoke the name of the contact and held the
device up to a regular phone and the device made the tones to dial the
number. I wonder if there would be an app for a tablet that would do the
same thing for those who do not have a smart phone?"

Well sir, a tablet is a smart toy! Inso long as you have access to a WI-FI
or data access connection, your request was granted a thousand ages ago.

In the Android world, it's called GoogleAssistant; in iOS Land, it Ms. Siri.
(Oh, sorry, her name is "Siri" but I like sarcasm, so I gave her the title
of "Ms.")

Once properly setup, all you need do is say the "Wake up" word in each case,
then say, "Call Olusegun." In the case of GoogleAssistant, she would say,
"Calling Olusegun." THE NUMBER IS DIALED AND YOU WILL HEAR IT ring. Siri
probably acts the same way.

Oh, the individual being called IS NOT in your contacts? Not a problem,
just give the number you wish to call and either one of these ladies will
send your call through.

I don't know about Windows tablets, but in My Coveted Shiny Android World,
what you're seeking to accomplish is already here.

If you don't currently have an Android or iPhone, I'm not certain you want a
tablet. Why? There's the LEARNING CURVE to worry about; a tablet has a
flat screen with no tactile buttons and, not all tablets, unlike humans, are
created equal!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

If you have an iPhone or other i devices, you place your desired persons in contacts and then you can tell Siri to call whomever.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

Well, I have a tablet and an Echo and I did not know you could make phone calls. I thought they had to be connected to cellular Thanks .

All you have to do is link your phone number in the Alexa app and then you can make phone calls from your echo device.
Hope this helps,

Ashley Breger

On Apr 3, 2020, at 10:45 AM, Loy <loyrg2845@gmail.com> wrote:

Well, I have a tablet and an Echo and I did not know you could make phone calls. I thought they had to be connected to cellular Thanks .

Carolyn Arnold

I intend to use my Victor Reader Stream recorder to record
the access code using my house phone Sunday for church, so
that when I call, and it asks for that, I can hit play.
Also, I'll pause briefly, then put in pound sign, as I would
be instructed to do. That way, because if I'm not fast
enough, I won't be told incorrect code.

I remember those Parrots. A friend of mine had one. I had a
similar device made in Israel, and it would do that with
phone numbers. I have no idea whatever happened to the
thing, would have run it on Blind Ads, but it's long lost in
the shuffle and definitely too old now to try to sell to
anyone. I can't even remember what it was called.

I use to have a little device before Smart Phones. I think
it was called Parrot. You stored all your contacts and phone
numbers it, and when you wanted to call someone you just
spoke the name of the contact and held the device up to a
regular phone and the device made the tones to dial the
number. I wonder if there would be an app for a tablet that
would do the same thing for those who do not have a smart
phone?

Carolyn Arnold

Yes, but I couldn't get Siri to dial my access code. I don't
think she works, when I'm on the phone.

[...]

You cvan do that. Back, when I first got my iPhone, the Consumer Cellular guy told me I'd have better luck getting my contact to do it myself; that was before I put Wi-Fi on my phone. Now, I'm so used to doing it myself, that I rarely ask her, and, of course, once the call is placed, Siri can't dial any more numbers. If that could happen, it would be nice. I don't have problem punching 3 at the pharmacy or 9, then letters for last name at the community center, but with a lot, they'll say, before I'm through, that I have entered the wrong code.

Loy wrote:

[...]

They do have to be connected to cellular. However, if you
are connected to cellular and don't have Wi-Fi connected,
you might not has as good of a phone experience. But, why
would you have a tablet or Echo without Wi-Fi?