Topics

inquiring minds want to know.

Ann Parsons

Morning all,

I was just going through my junk folder and I keep seeing these offers for asynchronous motors. Now, I know this is a totally weird, off the wall question, but what the heck is an asynchronous motor? Of course I'm deleting the spam, but since I'm getting more and more like my cat everyday, curious, what on earth is it? Is it a figment of the imagination, or are their really asynchronous motors? If the parts of the motor aren't syncked, wouldn't that prevent the motor from operating correctly? Just something innocuous to think about when the rest of the world is going to hell in a hand basket.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Monte Single

First, what is it loading?
Data?
Diamonds?
Dirt?
Or just plain drivel?
One thing is for sure, I don't need one!
But when I find out, I may really, really want one.

[...]

Evan Reese

Hi Ann,
Why not just Google "asynchronous motor"?
I did, and the first result is a Wikipedia article on induction motors, which are also called asynchronous motors:
"An induction motor or asynchronous motor
is an AC electric motor in which the electric current in the rotor needed to produce
torque is obtained by electromagnetic induction from the magnetic field of the stator
winding. An induction motor can therefore be made without electrical connections
to the rotor."
You can read more at:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_motor
Evan

[...]

Hi all,

Evan, thanks! I could and probably should have used google, but getting a human response was half the fun of researching this weird topic.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Karim Lakhani

I'm glad you brought this subject up.
I've never heard this word until your message.
sometimes google is not a friend when you have no knowledge of a word or
event.
thanks!

Evan, thanks! I could and probably should have used google, but
getting a human response was half the fun of researching this weird topic.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Steve Matzura

What an odd offer! It's an induction  motor, usually operating on three-phase electricity, which us mere mortals have absolutely nothing to do with nor any need for. They're used in high-capacity applications suchb as pumps and moving large objects like elevators.

On 4/4/2020 9:11 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Morning all,

I was just going through my junk folder and I keep seeing these offers for asynchronous motors.  Now, I know this is a totally weird, off the wall question, but what the heck is an asynchronous motor?   Of course I'm deleting the spam, but since I'm getting more and more like my cat everyday, curious, what on earth is it? Is it a figment of the imagination, or are their really asynchronous motors?   If the parts of the motor aren't syncked, wouldn't that prevent the motor from operating correctly?   Just something innocuous to think about when the rest of the world is going to hell in a hand basket.

Ann P.

Gene

If the description I saw in Wikipedia is correct, that they are induction motors, They are used in refrigerators and I wouldn’t be surprised if they are used in other common applications.

Sent: Saturday, April 04, 2020 1:04 PM

What an odd offer! It's an induction  motor, usually operating on
three-phase electricity, which us mere mortals have absolutely nothing
to do with nor any need for. They're used in high-capacity applications
suchb as pumps and moving large objects like elevators.

On 4/4/2020 9:11 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
> Morning all,
>
> I was just going through my junk folder and I keep seeing these offers
> for asynchronous motors.  Now, I know this is a totally weird, off the
> wall question, but what the heck is an asynchronous motor?   Of course
> I'm deleting the spam, but since I'm getting more and more like my cat
> everyday, curious, what on earth is it? Is it a figment of the
> imagination, or are their really asynchronous motors?   If the parts
> of the motor aren't syncked, wouldn't that prevent the motor from
> operating correctly?   Just something innocuous to think about when
> the rest of the world is going to hell in a hand basket.
>
> Ann P.

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Well, I knew I didn't want one, but I've been getting this spam for years, and finally had the time to inquire what l'deuce it was! As I said before, I'm getting more and more like Pal every day, more curious!

Ann P.

[...]

You write that you have been getting the message about the motor for years.
This makes you a truly unique individual as no one else seems to have heard
of such an item.
I hope this notoriety bodes well for you!