Saving the URL from an Internet Radio Station as a .pls or .m3u playlist file

Steven Johnson <saxmonger@...>

I am messing around with the Blaze ET, trying to load a few of my favorite streaming radio stations.  I know that I need to take the URL of a stream and make a .pls or .m3u playlist file out of it.  My difficulty is finding the right URL that will make a stream start playing when pasted into the address bar of my browser.  I can make the stream play within my browser, but the URL that shows up on my address bar when the stream is playing never seems to work when I save it as a favorite, or copy it to clipboard and then try to open it by pasting it on to my address bar.  Anyone ever monkeyed around with this and had success?

Ron Canazzi

Hi Steven,

I have done this in the past with mixed results.  If the player is a JAVA based player, lots of luck.  The only way to get a streaming address when the player is a Java player is to use a program like IP Sniffer and pick from several IP addresses that show up under the program. I know sighted people who have had good results doing this, but the program is largely inaccessible with JAWS and NVDA.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

You may find streams you can use by using the Bill Sparks radio page.  I’ll look it up and send it in a later message.

Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2020 1:36 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Saving the URL from an Internet Radio Station as a .pls or .m3u playlist file

[...]

Majid Hussain

hi there,
what is the url of the site in question?
would you mind posting?
i could do some sniffing round to see if i am able to get you the url?
using chrome's developer tools is how I get the direct link to the stream.
i've got nuthing to doo so shoot me that url
lockdown sucks

On 11/04/2020, Steven Johnson <saxmonger@comcast.net> wrote:
I am messing around with the Blaze ET, trying to load a few of my favorite
streaming radio stations. I know that I need to take the URL of a stream
and make a .pls or .m3u playlist file out of it. My difficulty is finding
the right URL that will make a stream start playing when pasted into the
address bar of my browser. I can make the stream play within my browser,
but the URL that shows up on my address bar when the stream is playing
never
seems to work when I save it as a favorite, or copy it to clipboard and
then
try to open it by pasting it on to my address bar. Anyone ever monkeyed
around with this and had success?

--
kind regards,
Majid Hussain

Gene

Here is the page:

If you want to search for a station, use your sscreen-reader’s find command to look for the word search.  Be at the top of the page when you use the find command.  it’s a link.  Follow it and you will be on a search page.
There is an edit field, use the letter e to move to it and search for a station.
When the results page comes up, use your screen-reader’s find function again and from the top of the page, look for the word results.
Then start looking down.

If the result you want has a play in media player link, that’s the one you want to follow.  You may find two links, something like play in browser and play in media player.  If you follow the media player link, the stream will play in your default player.  You can book mark it in the player itself or you can probably copy the link itself to the clipboard.  If you want to know how, I’ll explain it in another message.

Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2020 4:08 PM

You may find streams you can use by using the Bill Sparks radio page.  I’ll look it up and send it in a later message.

Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2020 1:36 PM

[...]

Thank you Gene.  This web site has a lot of my stations in .pls format when you save target on the Media Player links.  I appreciate it.

Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2020 4:08 PM

You may find streams you can use by using the Bill Sparks radio page.  I’ll look it up and send it in a later message.

Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2020 1:36 PM

[...]

-

I went to the url given and chose a station. The listenlive url was downloaded as a file.
If you use a text editor; inside that file an url of the actual link is given. Here is the url of the example:

http://cms.stream.publicradio.org/cms.mp3

When given to a media player the stream starts.

On Sat, 11 Apr 2020, Gene wrote:

Here is the page:
https://billsparks.net/

[...]

XR

-

I went to the url given and chose an example stream. The listen live is the url of interest.
Download that file, using a text editor the actual active url is given, in the example:

http://cms.stream.publicradio.org/cms.mp3

When fed to a media player the stream started. There are more examples of a stream in addition to pls and mu3; as the above illustrates.

I have used this method several times to find the active stream url for web stations.

On Sat, 11 Apr 2020, Gene wrote:

Here is the page:
https://billsparks.net/

[...]

Your method works sometimes, but if the station used an embedded player such as a Java applet, you won't find the address very easily.