Jaws, NVDA & Google Chrome

Walter Ramage

Hi All.  I am finding that increasingly web sites won't support I.E. and although many still do, it is happening more often that they are instructing me to get a more up-to-date browser and I think the time for doing so has arrived.

I am at this point using Jaws 17 on this computer and I'm not at this point able to upgrade to a higher version but that means I can't use Google Chrome, at least not to it's fullest potential.

I'm just trying to think of the options I have.

One option is to use Firefox or Brave but will I get full function whilst I use Jaws 17 with these two browsers and if I would, which versions of either of these two is the optimal for using with Jaws 17?

Another option is to use NVDA but would I get full function of Google Chrome if I did use NVDA.  If I could stick with Jaws that would please me the most as I am familiar with that screen reader.

Whether I go for Firefox, Brave or even Google Chrome or even use NVDA I will have a learning curve and I wonder which would be the least troublesome.

Opinions and observations are welcome please.  Walter.

Browsing is browsing with any browser that supports the Virtual PC Cursor, as JAWS calls it, or browse mode, as NVDA calls it.  If you want to change settings, the interfaces of the browsers are different from Internet Explorer, but just for browsing, you will use all the same commands you have been using if you use JAWS of whatever version and if you use NVDA, all or just about all the browsing commands will be identical.  I don’t know if your version of JAWS works with Firefox.  Firefox went through internal changes ;perhaps a year ago and I don’t know if your version of JAWS is compatible with it.  If it isn’t, when you open Firefox, you will get a message that you need to upgrade JAWS, whatever it says, that’s what it amounts to.  But you needn’t worry about using NVDA with whatever browser you want, for just browsing, there will be very little to learn.  You may want to learn screen-reader commands such as read current line, read title bar, that command is the same in JAWS and NVDA, and perhaps a small number of others, such as controling the speaking speed and such commands but if you want to use JAWS in general and NVDA for browsing, if you don’t want to learn more about NVDA, you don’t have to.

But you may want to.  At some point, you will switch to Windows 10.  You may want to learn NVDA so you can switch whenever you want without learning what you need to know about Windows 10 and the screen-reader at the same time.  That is, of course, if you don’t want to continue using JAWS at that time, and you will have to upgrade JAWS then.
Gene,

[...]

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

I'm finding that NVDA works better in Chrome. It's not that different, though I'd like to find a list of keystrokes for Chrome if anybody knows where I can find one?

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gene

I haven’t looked but I would expect a Google search for Google Chrome hot keys or short cut keys, I don’t know which might provide better results, would bring up pages with such information.

I was just looking at Chrome to see if a lot of shortcut keys are shown in the menus and submenus.  They are, but that’s not the main reason I’m writing.  I opened the history submenu and I found something I hadn’t known about before.  In the past, I just used control h to open history.  But I found out that when the submenu is opened, you can down arrow through a list of the nine most recently opened pages.  The control h history is a web page interface, as most things are in Chrome.  The list is much more convenient and faster to get to.

Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2020 6:22 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Jaws, NVDA & Google Chrome

Hi all,

I'm finding that NVDA works better in Chrome.  It's not that different,
though I'd like to find a list of keystrokes for Chrome if anybody
knows where I can find one?

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL:  akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ann Parsons

Hi Gene,

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Walter Ramage

Hi  Thanks, that is helpful.  My internet useage is basic; browsing, file downloading and on line banking etc.  Walter.