Welcome (back) iPhone SE?

Welcome (back) iPhone SE — but did Apple just cannibalize itself?

Don't judge an iPhone by its cover... Remember iPhone SE? It's that little
rectangle which you could actually operate one-handedly without spraining a
finger.
Apple
released it in 2016, then stopped selling it in 2018. Now, it's shockingly
resurrecting iPhone SE for 2020, starting at the (relatively) lower price of
$399.

list of 2 items
• Looks: Pretty much the same as the iPhone 8 — a 4.7-inch screen with a
frame around it and a home button with Touch ID. The real change lies on the
inside...
• Specs: Better camera equipped with 4K video and portrait mode. Also boasts
a more powerful processor with the new A13 Bionic chip (sounds legit). Apple

says
it put "the brains" of iPhone 11 Pro in the body of SE.
list end

What interested us most was the timing of this launch... Given the COVID-19
crisis, this might not seem like the best time to ship a new product. Apple
thinks it's a great time:

list of 2 items
• With the economy in shambles, it makes sense to introduce a lower-cost
phone. The new SE is $200 cheaper than the next "cheapest" iPhone (and many
Android
models). A low-cost, high-performance phone could thrive right now.
• With most Apple stores closed, people can't try before they buy. Buying
iPhones online becomes more attractive with a lower price and newer product

Apple's trying to drive excitement for online orders with this launch
(people get hyped on pre-orders).
list end
THE TAKEAWAY

Is Apple cannibalizing itself?... Cannibalization occurs when a new product
is so irresistible it steals sales from your other (often higher-priced)
products.
Tesla's Model 3 stole sales from its Model S. But Apple probably did a lot
of research on this risk and decided that:

• More Upgrades: iPhone users might be more likely to upgrade from their old
phones after the launch of SE, with that volume covering lost sales from
pricier
models.
• More Market Share: With this lower-priced option, Apple might convert some
Androiders —
Google
's Android still controls
70%
of the world's cell phones.
• But if fancy new iPhone users change to the lower-priced SE instead,
that's a problem for Apple.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Monte Single

Yes, the new se is appealing to lots of people.

My question
Is, how many of these phones will apple make?

[...]

Cristóbal

Uh... short answer. Enough of them.

Cristóbal

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

I sent my sister the information about it, because just a
couple of days ago, she said she needed to replace her 7. I
told her it had a Home Button, so she could still use
fingerprint, although facial ID has been no problem to me.
Still, if you don't have to change, why do it?

[...]

I think it will have some appeal, because if my sister can
get a phone for $399.99 that is brand new, I think she'll be
pretty happy. She has a tablet, when she wants it bigger.

[...]

Shelly Kane

I'm very excited for this lunch.  I have had mine for over 3 years and it has worked great.  In fact, I'm ordering mine tomorrow from Verizon.  I'm getting mine right away because I need more memory.  I was thinking of getting an eight until I heard on the news that this one is finally being launched.  These will go quickly.

Shelly

On 4/16/2020 4:43 PM, Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. wrote:
[...]

.

Shelly Kane

I couldn't agree more.

On 4/16/2020 6:14 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
[...]

I'm so excited for you, Shelly. I couldn't hold off, because I use my phone that my SE's battery was needing charging twice a day. What a difference with my 11, especially since I removed a lot of the apps refreshing in the background. I use my phone all day for one thing or another, so need good battery, one reason I never kept a flip phone long.

Tell us about it, when you get it.

[...]

Olusegun, after one of your posts about Apple stock being 292, I just checked, and it was $280 - people must not be buying SE's fast enough, you think?

[...]

Sis Carolyn, AAPL stock dropped again today? I thought it was TRENDING
UPWARDS! Oh well, may be when it hits $130 I could sneak in and grab
three--one for you, second for Colonel Monte, and the third tossed in the
air for anyone's catch!

With AAPL stores closed, the sE2020 may have to be purchased perhaps online
only for the moment. The stores of the major carriers in my village are
closed as well; a few of them tried to argue that they provide ESSENTIAL
SERVICES and should be allowed to stay open. Well, the politicians
governing here aren't buying that thought with a toothpick.

I still think though that Apple ventured into the wrong territory; rather
than seeking to do much too much, it should stick with what it does well and
let the market BLESS OR CURSE its position.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Monte Single

This Colonel is curious.
How much was a share
of apple before the current descent.

Colonel Monte writes:

"This Colonel is curious.
How much was a share
of apple before the current descent."

A TAD TOO LAZY to pull up the notes; I think it was $900 a hot shot and
several foot longs north of that price.

It just dropped 3.99% at 2:55 P.M. Eastern, now trading at $277.54!
Alphabet, Google's parent, trades at $1,271.87; please wire funds so we can
learn to read our alphabet!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Monte Single

Holy crap Batman,
That's like saying a slice of the apple is worth 30 per cent of what it was
a few weeks ago.
Oh well, at least I didn't lose anything on that one.

A TAD TOO LAZY to pull up the notes; I think it was $900 a hot shot and
several foot longs north of that price.

It just dropped 3.99% at 2:55 P.M. Eastern, now trading at $277.54!
Alphabet, Google's parent, trades at $1,271.87; please wire funds so we can
learn to read our alphabet!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Carolyn Arnold

Here too, but with all the people buying SE's, stock should
stabilize or start back up.

At first, I thought, oh, I wish I could have waited, but not
so sure now. I have teriffic battery life with my 11, and I
understand that the SE has good battery life, but not quite
as good as the 11, and battery longevity is one of my top
priorities.

One technical thing I really like and is another priority
now, and that is that the new phones will work on a wireless
charger. How nice it is to just lay my phone down on the
thing, rather than get out a cable and connect to phone and
power.

[...]

Apple went up to $330. I have a few I got for $204, sold
half at $250, did not think they'd go much higher. The
greater fool I, because it did!

[...]

Not $900, just $330.

A TAD TOO LAZY to pull up the notes; I think it was $900 a
hot shot and several foot longs north of that price.

It just dropped 3.99% at 2:55 P.M. Eastern, now trading at
$277.54!
Alphabet, Google's parent, trades at $1,271.87; please wire
funds so we can learn to read our alphabet!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Shelly Kane

Thank you Carolyn!  I just ordered mine yesterday from Verizon. It's supposed to be here in a week.  As soon as I can get it going, I will be sure and let you know how it is.  I can't wait because I only have 16 GB's of memory and now I made sure I had enough and I got 128 GB's.  I'm planning on keeping this another 3 to 4 years as long as it works well.  I have noticed that my battery drops quickly and my battery health is at 91%.  So that's not to bad.  I use my phone a lot.

Shelly