Using Braille displays on the job?

Sharon Hooley

Hi,

I'm wondering, does anyone use a Braille display, largely or exclusively, for work at home or in office? Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

www.CochlearAmericas.com

Susie Stageberg <sstageberg2@...>

Sharon,

I'm retired, but when I worked at the Iowa Library for the Blind, I used a
Braille display when I was in our circulation software looking up people's
accounts so I could help them get the books they wanted. I had an 80-cell
display, as I needed to see the whole line of someone's data. Often I had
the patron on the phone in my ears, so I used Braille on the computer. I
couldn't have done my job as efficiently without the Braille. Now that I'm
home, I bought myself a 40-cell display; I find that on the Internet it is
often helpful to have the Braille, and it helps with filling out forms and
checking boxes and such.

HTH.

Susie

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm wondering, does anyone use a Braille display, largely or exclusively,
for work at home or in office? Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

www.CochlearAmericas.com

Pamela Dominguez

When I was on the job, it was in the early 1990s, and I used a keybraille, which was a 40 cell braille display that functioned with dos. When I took the computer home after that, I was used to the braille display and liked to have it. When I learned windows in the beginning of 2000, I had to get used to not having one. In about 2012, I bought an Alva BC640. I have a different computer now, and I don't remember all that stuff about using the Alva propperly, and how to hook it up correctly to this newer computer. When I do, the computer sound comes through the speaker on the braille display. There was a way to not have it do that, but I forgot a lot of how to set it up correctly and use it. Pam. Pam.

I'm wondering, does anyone use a Braille display, largely or exclusively,
for work at home or in office? Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

www.CochlearAmericas.com

https://www.avg.com

jan howells <gale7978@...>

I used a braille display when I worked for ATANDT. I read from the display to the person that could hear on the phone. Then I typed back to the hearing impaired person on the other end, whatever the person said in response. I was a Communication Assistant on the telephone helping hearing impaired and speech impaired persons with phone calls.

Jan

Steven Johnson <saxmonger@...>

I do. I am one of the 2 quality assurance people for a medical
transcription company. I proofread medical reports, and I would have a
rough time without a braille display because I have to physically read every
word that is transcribed to assure that no misspellings of regular English
or medical terms occur. I use a BrailleNote Apex. It does a pretty nice
job as a braille terminal.

I'm wondering, does anyone use a Braille display, largely or exclusively,
for work at home or in office? Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

www.CochlearAmericas.com

Victor

I use the focus 40 blue braille display where I work at a radio station. It enables me to read information while on the air. It works very well for my purposes.

HTH,

Victor