Topics

paper-based braille for work and home

Josh Kennedy

Hi,

For those who use braille… What do you use or have used in the past to write braille on paper? I have a slate and stylus and perkins brailler but how many of you use braille embossers or braille printers at work with Duxbury? Or are embossers mostly used by sighted transcribers for embossing textbooks and things? I got an embosser on loan for a bit to try out at home and when the corona-virus stuff is over I will send it back because I discovered by using it that a production embosser that prints books and magazines and stuff is not for me and that my slate and perkins manual brailler are more useful. However I will be upgrading to an electric light-touch perkins brailler soon so I can write braille faster and more comfortably because I am used to the light-touch of braille display and computer keys. I had a braille blazer embosser 20 or so yeara ago in school but did not use it much. I used it more as a speech synthesizer rather than an embosser. I used my braille lite with its 18-cell braille display a lot more, along with the perkins brailler.

Josh

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Victor

Hi Josh:

Years ago, I used the Juliet braille embosser. I used it because I worked at a radio station and I thought I would need it to read my music logs and things like that. But once I got a refreshable braille display, I no longer needed a braille embosser. In my opinion, it’s better in the long run to just get a braille display as braille paper takes up a lot of room and you will accumulate a lot of it quickly if you use braille a lot. But that’s just my opinion.

HTH,

Victor

On Apr 19, 2020, at 8:07 AM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

Hi,

For those who use braille… What do you use or have used in the past to write braille on paper? I have a slate and stylus and perkins brailler but how many of you use braille embossers or braille printers at work with Duxbury? Or are embossers mostly used by sighted transcribers for embossing textbooks and things? I got an embosser on loan for a bit to try out at home and when the corona-virus stuff is over I will send it back because I discovered by using it that a production embosser that prints books and magazines and stuff is not for me and that my slate and perkins manual brailler are more useful. However I will be upgrading to an electric light-touch perkins brailler soon so I can write braille faster and more comfortably because I am used to the light-touch of braille display and computer keys. I had a braille blazer embosser 20 or so yeara ago in school but did not use it much. I used it more as a speech synthesizer rather than an embosser. I used my braille lite with its 18-cell braille display a lot more, along with the perkins brailler.

Josh

Sent from Mail for Windows 10