windows 10 update issue

Keith S

Hi, I had my wife's cousin help me with upgrading my laptop with windows 8.1 to the free windows 10 upgrade.  The screen of the laptop is cracked, so he had to hook up the laptop to a digital tv using and H D M I cable.

The update to windows 10 apparrently downloaded and he installed it.

The computer was rebooted and now he does not know if the upgrade took to the laptop due to the H D M I drivers not being installed on the laptop.

Any way I can figure out if the windows 10 update installed correctly, or do I need to go out and have the laptop's screen replaced?

Thanks

Keith

Blaster

If you don't need a screen, that is to say you use a screen reader,
than no you don't have to replace it to run windows 10. At this point
does the laptop boot up?
To be clear, could you provide the list with more information?

Do you need a laptop screen to use a computeror do you use a screen reader?
Which reader do you use and do you need to reinstall it?

More info would be helpful,
Blaster

On 12/4/17, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, I had my wife's cousin help me with upgrading my laptop with windows 8.1
to the free windows 10 upgrade. The screen of the laptop is cracked, so he
had to hook up the laptop to a digital tv using and H D M I cable.

The update to windows 10 apparrently downloaded and he installed it.

The computer was rebooted and now he does not know if the upgrade took to
the laptop due to the H D M I drivers not being installed on the laptop.

Any way I can figure out if the windows 10 update installed correctly, or do
I need to go out and have the laptop's screen replaced?

Thanks

Keith

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

I am assuming that you use a screen reader since you had not already replaced the screen on the laptop.
Try pressing the ctrl key +Windows key+Enter at the same time. If Win 10 is installed, narrator will be activated and you can continue with the setup.
HTH
Marie

Hi, I had my wife's cousin help me with upgrading my laptop with windows 8.1 to the free windows 10 upgrade.  The screen of the laptop is cracked, so he had to hook up the laptop to a digital tv using and H D M I cable.

The update to windows 10 apparrently downloaded and he installed it.

The computer was rebooted and now he does not know if the upgrade took to the laptop due to the H D M I drivers not being installed on the laptop.

Any way I can figure out if the windows 10 update installed correctly, or do I need to go out and have the laptop's screen replaced?

Thanks

Keith

Michael Boyd <mike122061@...>

If you use a screen reader, or your cousin can see, then you can check to see which version of Windows is installed by opening the run dialogue by pressing the Windows key plus the letter R at the same     time, when the edit box appears, type in winver and press enter. The version of the current Windows installation will be shown there. If it says Windows version 1709……., then you have one of the latest versions of Windows 10 installed. If you did not know, when you started the install of Windows 10, in whatever method you chose, you can press the key combination Control + Windows + Enter to start Narrator and have speech during the installation.

Michael

Hi, I had my wife's cousin help me with upgrading my laptop with windows 8.1 to the free windows 10 upgrade.  The screen of the laptop is cracked, so he had to hook up the laptop to a digital tv using and H D M I cable.

The update to windows 10 apparrently downloaded and he installed it.

The computer was rebooted and now he does not know if the upgrade took to the laptop due to the H D M I drivers not being installed on the laptop.

Any way I can figure out if the windows 10 update installed correctly, or do I need to go out and have the laptop's screen replaced?

Thanks

Keith

Keith S

I have no clue.  The computer rebooted after the install, and the screen is not visually useable and I do not know what else to do.  I have my copy of jaws 18 on cd, and my user code, but I am at a loss to what to do now.

Keith

On 12/4/17, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@...> wrote:
> Hi, I had my wife's cousin help me with upgrading my laptop with windows 8.1
> to the free windows 10 upgrade.  The screen of the laptop is cracked, so he
> had to hook up the laptop to a digital tv using and H D M I cable.
>
> The update to windows 10 apparrently downloaded and he installed it.
>
> The computer was rebooted and now he does not know if the upgrade took to
> the laptop due to the H D M I drivers not being installed on the laptop.
>
> Any way I can figure out if the windows 10 update installed correctly, or do
> I need to go out and have the laptop's screen replaced?
>
> Thanks
>
> Keith

Blaster

Well, After you first started the installation you were in the windows
7 OS with JAWS speech right? Then it should have asked to reboot and
I think that's where you are now, right?
If so, you need to let the laptop run, for me it took more than 30
minutes and then it rebooted by itself and began to install some more
things. When it finally went quiet it was about another 10 minutes.
Some other users on list had reported it had installed faster than
that, but that was my experience.

So using my info above, where do you think you are in the installation?

Blaster

On 12/4/17, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@gmail.com> wrote:
I have no clue. The computer rebooted after the install, and the screen is
not visually useable and I do not know what else to do. I have my copy of
jaws 18 on cd, and my user code, but I am at a loss to what to do now.

Keith
If you don't need a screen, that is to say you use a screen reader,
than no you don't have to replace it to run windows 10. At this point
does the laptop boot up?
To be clear, could you provide the list with more information?

Do you need a laptop screen to use a computeror do you use a screen
reader?
Which reader do you use and do you need to reinstall it?

More info would be helpful,
Blaster

On 12/4/17, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I had my wife's cousin help me with upgrading my laptop with windows
8.1
> to the free windows 10 upgrade. The screen of the laptop is cracked, so
he
> had to hook up the laptop to a digital tv using and H D M I cable.
>
> The update to windows 10 apparrently downloaded and he installed it.
>
> The computer was rebooted and now he does not know if the upgrade took
> the laptop due to the H D M I drivers not being installed on the
laptop.

> Any way I can figure out if the windows 10 update installed correctly,
or do
> I need to go out and have the laptop's screen replaced?
>
> Thanks
>
> Keith

Keith S

I was in the windows 8.1 OS with Window eyes.  Then we started the update without window eyes being on (due to me trying to do the update without sighted assistance and the 8.1 OS being so damn slow and not responding to my inputs.

Then I had to leave because it took 3 hours to download the windows 10 update to a 7% completion.

The next day my wife went tothe ER with signs of a stroke, and I have been with her for the past 4 days and now I am home, but when her cousin told me that the H D M I drivers were not installed with the windows 10 update,  and the window eyes screen reader having been uninstalled due to not being supported by windows 10, he is at a loss.  The computer is over at his house, so I can not tinker with it.

Keith

Well, After you first started the installation you were in the windows
7 OS with JAWS speech right?  Then it should have asked to reboot and
I think that's where you are now, right?
If so, you need to let the laptop run, for me it took more than 30
minutes and then it rebooted by itself and began to install some more
things.  When it finally went quiet it was about another 10 minutes.
Some other users on list had reported it had installed faster than
that, but that was my experience.

So using my info above, where do you think you are in the installation?

Blaster

On 12/4/17, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@...> wrote:
> I have no clue.  The computer rebooted after the install, and the screen is
> not visually useable and I do not know what else to do.  I have my copy of
> jaws 18 on cd, and my user code, but I am at a loss to what to do now.
>
> Keith

Blaster

Well the first thing I would do when you get to the pc is turn it on
and listen to hear if it sounds like it's working or if it sounds like
it's at rest. You can press the windows key + the Ctrl key + the
enter key to start the built in Microsoft Narrator screen reader.

Try that first and report back with your findings.

Sorry to hear about your wife, I hope she's feeling better,
Blaster

On 12/4/17, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@gmail.com> wrote:
I was in the windows 8.1 OS with Window eyes. Then we started the update
without window eyes being on (due to me trying to do the update without
sighted assistance and the 8.1 OS being so damn slow and not responding to
my inputs.

Then I had to leave because it took 3 hours to download the windows 10
update to a 7% completion.

The next day my wife went tothe ER with signs of a stroke, and I have been
with her for the past 4 days and now I am home, but when her cousin told me
that the H D M I drivers were not installed with the windows 10 update, and
the window eyes screen reader having been uninstalled due to not being
supported by windows 10, he is at a loss. The computer is over at his
house, so I can not tinker with it.

Keith
Well, After you first started the installation you were in the windows
7 OS with JAWS speech right? Then it should have asked to reboot and
I think that's where you are now, right?
If so, you need to let the laptop run, for me it took more than 30
minutes and then it rebooted by itself and began to install some more
things. When it finally went quiet it was about another 10 minutes.
Some other users on list had reported it had installed faster than
that, but that was my experience.

So using my info above, where do you think you are in the installation?

Blaster

On 12/4/17, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have no clue. The computer rebooted after the install, and the screen
is
> not visually useable and I do not know what else to do. I have my copy
of
> jaws 18 on cd, and my user code, but I am at a loss to what to do now.
>
> Keith

Gene

Tell him to issue the run Narrator command.  Someone gave it yesterday.

Well, After you first started the installation you were in the windows
7 OS with JAWS speech right?  Then it should have asked to reboot and
I think that's where you are now, right?
If so, you need to let the laptop run, for me it took more than 30
minutes and then it rebooted by itself and began to install some more
things.  When it finally went quiet it was about another 10 minutes.
Some other users on list had reported it had installed faster than
that, but that was my experience.

So using my info above, where do you think you are in the installation?

Blaster

On 12/4/17, Keith S <ks.steinbach03@...> wrote:
> I have no clue.  The computer rebooted after the install, and the screen is
> not visually useable and I do not know what else to do.  I have my copy of
> jaws 18 on cd, and my user code, but I am at a loss to what to do now.
>
> Keith

Michael Boyd <mike122061@...>

Well, we don’t know the entire story apparently. If you had installed Windows 10 onto your computer as an upgrade, in other words, if you had left everything on the computer and just done a back up of your personal data in case something did go wrong, then Jaws and all of your other programs and probably most of your personal files would have remained unsczathed. Then you could have started Jaws at boot up or it could have started automatically. Whatever the case, you could have had Narrator to speak to you during the installation if you were upgrading to the Creators update. Without knowing exactly what took place, it is hard to give good advice or to answer any questions. If you still need to install Jaws onto the computer, you should still be able to start Narrator to help you get the installation started. Once the Jaws installation wizard starts talking, it will tell you everything that you need to do to complete the installation.

Michael