Looking for a Good USB External Sound Card

Dave

Hello,

I am looking for a Friend, who is also Visualy Impaired, who is
Converting a Huge Vinal and CD library of Music to MP3.

He is looking to buy an External Sound Card that has the ability to let
him connect his House Stereo System to the Sound Card, because he
intends to use his High quality turn Table instead of some Cheap turn Table.

So the Card will need to have a  couple of RCA jacks for Left and Right
IN coming signal.

Anyone know of a High Quality External Sound Card that would work for my
friend?

Thanks ahead of time for any reply,

Grumpy Dave

Gene

It won't need RCA jacks, though I suspect many high quality cards will have them.  You can get adapters that will plug into the stereo preamp lineout jacs and will have a 1/8 female jack on the other end so you can plug a patch cord in that has that size jack.

I don't have specific recommendations for exterhal sound cards but there are a lot and it won't be hard to find one.

Does the person already know what recording program he wants to use?

I am looking for a Friend, who is also Visualy Impaired, who is
Converting a Huge Vinal and CD library of Music to MP3.

He is looking to buy an External Sound Card that has the ability to let
him connect his House Stereo System to the Sound Card, because he
intends to use his High quality turn Table instead of some Cheap turn Table.

So the Card will need to have a  couple of RCA jacks for Left and Right
IN coming signal.

Anyone know of a High Quality External Sound Card that would work for my
friend?

Thanks ahead of time for any reply,

Grumpy Dave

Dave

Hi Gene,

Currently he uses Gold Wave.

He is most concerned about the Sound Quality of the recording, so he is wanting a good quality Sound Card.

Sorry, that is about all he told me this morning when I spoke with him.

Grumpy Dave

Gene

If he already uses Goldwave and is profficient, he may want to continue doing so.

He is most concerned about the Sound Quality of the recording, so he is
wanting a good quality Sound Card.

Sorry, that is about all he told me this morning when I spoke with him.

Grumpy Dave

goshawk on horseback

I personally like the aphex in 2
it has xlr, rather than RCA inputs, but adapters or leads for that can very easily be found.
not only does it have hardware level controls, but it also has a rather nice set of optical compressors built in.
http://www.aphex.com/products/in2

hope this helps.

Simon

I am looking for a Friend, who is also Visualy Impaired, who is
Converting a Huge Vinal and CD library of Music to MP3.

He is looking to buy an External Sound Card that has the ability to let
him connect his House Stereo System to the Sound Card, because he
intends to use his High quality turn Table instead of some Cheap turn Table.

So the Card will need to have a couple of RCA jacks for Left and Right
IN coming signal.

Anyone know of a High Quality External Sound Card that would work for my
friend?

Thanks ahead of time for any reply,

Grumpy Dave

Gene

It sounds as though you are discussing an audiohile or professional soundcard.  I don't know what the least expensive sound cards are that have line-in inputs.  When I was looking for one years ago, I didn't find any below about seventy U.S. dollars at the store where I was looking.  But that needs discussion and I'm not saying there aren't much cheaper ones.  Whatever the case, you don't need to spend a lot of money to get very good results.  I would be much more concerned about the quality of the tone arm of the turntable, is it a low mass tone arm, and the quality of the cartridge than on spending a lot of money on a sound card.  There may be a price below which it isn't wise to go but I really doubt there is a need to spend more than a maximum of about seventy dollars, if that.

I am looking for a Friend, who is also Visualy Impaired, who is
Converting a Huge Vinal and CD library of Music to MP3.

He is looking to buy an External Sound Card that has the ability to let
him connect his House Stereo System to the Sound Card, because he
intends to use his High quality turn Table instead of some Cheap turn Table.

So the Card will need to have a couple of RCA jacks for Left and Right
IN coming signal.

Anyone know of a High Quality External Sound Card that would work for my
friend?

Thanks ahead of time for any reply,

Grumpy Dave

goshawk on horseback

it very much depends on how much of a price/budget freak one is.
certainly for me, price is one of the least important factors.

Simon

[...]

Hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll pass them on.

Gene, my friend is not the best when it comes to Computers, or
Electronic in General.  However, he does have a set of Good Ears and he
is worried about the Sound Quality of the Recording of his Vinyl and CD's.

He thinks if he gets a Cheap Card, it won't sound very good etc.

On the other hand, the up Scale Cards have too many features, Buttons,
Sliders and all kinds of Jack Inputs etc.

Plus for most Cards they come with Drivers, and some times a Software
based Interface where various adjustments can be made to the Sound.

Unfortunately, my friend is 3000 miles away, and he lives alone, and has
very few friends that are able to come to his apartment to help him.
And they probably would know little about these Cards or how to install
the software.

He asked me to look for a Card, and so am doing that.

He has a nice, old time Stereo that comes from an era when they made
great sounding Stereo Systems, and the Turn Tables were of very High
Quality.

All of his Vinyl, and he has 2 or 3 thousand Vinyl Albums he wants to
convert to MP3.

But, Thanks again for the Suggestions.  I'll pass them on and he will
decide what he wants to do.

Grumpy Dave

Sharon Hooley

Sabrent has tiny USB sound cards.  You might want to order more than one.  There are no drivers to install.

But you need a sound card with a line-in jack.  It sounds as though the one you are discussing doesn't have that feature.  My experience with two USB sound cards is that you need to install the software, or at least the driver from the software CD in order to be able to record using the sound card at all or to any extent.  You can listen through a USB sound card without installing the driver and since the one you are discussing is so small and has nothing to install, you may well be able to do nothing but listen with it.

Sent: Friday, May 08, 2020 7:49 AM

Sabrent has tiny USB sound cards.  You might want to order more than one.  There are no drivers to install.

lynn white

This sounds like a great sound card. But if I read the web page correctly, it looks like it’s only available in Australia. If I’m wrong, I’ll gladly rejoice.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave" <dlh007@centurylink.net>
I am looking for a Friend, who is also Visualy Impaired, who is
Converting a Huge Vinal and CD library of Music to MP3.

He is looking to buy an External Sound Card that has the ability to let
him connect his House Stereo System to the Sound Card, because he
intends to use his High quality turn Table instead of some Cheap turn Table.

So the Card will need to have a couple of RCA jacks for Left and Right
IN coming signal.

Anyone know of a High Quality External Sound Card that would work for my
friend?

Thanks ahead of time for any reply,

Grumpy Dave

Norma A. Boge

Hi Dave,

My go-to for info on all things audio is
https://www.soundandvision.com/

The magazine is available from the NLS so if you're friend isn't reading it, he should be. I'm sure he would find the content interesting and informative.

Just as an aside, I am wondering why someone who sounds like a person who's finicky about sound would record his vinyl in mp3. But I guess it depends on what he wants to do with the files.

HTH
Norma

[...]

I had the same thought when he said MP3, but I chose to remain quiet, since I felt he was already over his head just trying to get the equipment to do such a conversion.

What File Type would you suggest?

I know of a couple of others, but if they are supported by Gold Wave, then my friend could choose one of them instead of MP3.

Grumpy Dave

Gene

Flac is a popular lossless format.  But the person should compare formats such as Flac and MP3 to decide which he wants.  I use MP3 because it is relatively small, even at 320KBPS, which I use for quality music recording from good sources.  I can tell the difference on good equipment between MP3 and wave, which is lossless, but I don't mind the loss.

The ear doesn't remember how lossless files sound and the MP3 files do sound good.  So, while I can remind myself by a comparison, the loss isn't significant enough to bother me.  Every now and then, I keep something in a lossless format where for some reason, I care about the loss, but that is very rare.

Also, a lot of reccords aren't as good as you might think from the aura they have now.  Records all lose high end as the arm gets close to the end of the record.  While classical music and jazz tended to to include higher frequencies, rock often cut off at lower frequencies.

I think the person should be encouraged to compare and see what he wants.  I don't believe in prescribing to anyone what they should use.  Pointing out the differences and benefits is a good idea but really, in the end, the person should make up his/her mind if the person cares enough about sound that this is something they are concerned about.

I had the same thought when he said MP3, but I chose to remain quiet,
since I felt he was already over his head just trying to get the
equipment to do such a conversion.

What File Type would you suggest?

I know of a couple of others, but if they are supported by Gold Wave,
then my friend could choose one of them instead of MP3.

Grumpy Dave

goshawk on horseback

one does have to look for it a bit, but I am in the UK, and found it relatively easily.

Simon

I am looking for a Friend, who is also Visualy Impaired, who is
Converting a Huge Vinal and CD library of Music to MP3.

He is looking to buy an External Sound Card that has the ability to let
him connect his House Stereo System to the Sound Card, because he
intends to use his High quality turn Table instead of some Cheap turn Table.

So the Card will need to have a couple of RCA jacks for Left and Right
IN coming signal.

Anyone know of a High Quality External Sound Card that would work for my
friend?

Thanks ahead of time for any reply,

Grumpy Dave

goshawk on horseback

is this publication in audio format, or text only?

Simon

[...]

I also like flack, but unfortunately mp3 is more universal.
in other words, more devices/apps can play it.

Simon

I had the same thought when he said MP3, but I chose to remain quiet,
since I felt he was already over his head just trying to get the
equipment to do such a conversion.

What File Type would you suggest?

I know of a couple of others, but if they are supported by Gold Wave,
then my friend could choose one of them instead of MP3.

Grumpy Dave

Norma A. Boge

Hi Simon,

It is an audio magazine. Available for downloading from NLS BARD. Or you could subscribe and receive it via NLS cartridge.

HTH
Norma

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

If he is in the UK, he can't subscribe to it if it's a part of NLS. Pam.

[...]

https://www.avg.com

Norma A. Boge

Pam, I don't keep track of where everybody is. I give the best info I can to answer a question. And just because someone lives outside the U.S. doesn't mean they aren't eligible for NLS services. I am sure Simon knows whether or not he is eligible. He asked if the mag was audio or text, and I answered. Next?