Pontes Media Downloader keyboard shortcuts

Steven Johnson <saxmonger@...>

I have tried to read the Pontes Media Downloader shortcuts list that comes up when I Hit ctrl-K, but JAWS and NVDA only allow me to read the keyboard shortcuts themselves when I scroll down, not the action that will occur with each one.  JAWS says that this information is in a table, but none of the table navigation hotkeys seem to give any further information other than the actual keyboard shortcut.  When I hit insert-B, JAWS will read the keystroke followed by the action, but I would like to quickly navigate to a keystroke and find out what it does without reading the whole list.  Any tips?

Kimsan

Try virtualizing the screen and copy and pasting the info to another document.

That program has shortcut keys?

Never new that!

Best regards,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steven Johnson
Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2020 3:55 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Pontes Media Downloader keyboard shortcuts

I have tried to read the Pontes Media Downloader shortcuts list that comes up when I Hit ctrl-K, but JAWS and NVDA only allow me to read the keyboard shortcuts themselves when I scroll down, not the action that will occur with each one.  JAWS says that this information is in a table, but none of the table navigation hotkeys seem to give any further information other than the actual keyboard shortcut.  When I hit insert-B, JAWS will read the keystroke followed by the action, but I would like to quickly navigate to a keystroke and find out what it does without reading the whole list.  Any tips?

Steven Johnson <saxmonger@...>

Pontes actually has some really nice keyboard shortcuts.  You can see a list of them with ctrl-K, but JAWS and NVDA only read the shortcut keys, not the actions.  Virtualizing only shows the words “keyboard shortcuts” at the top of the Window, with blankness below.  The menus tell the shortcut for most functions though.  I will type them up and share them.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kimsan via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2020 8:57 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Pontes Media Downloader keyboard shortcuts

Never new that!

Best regards,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steven Johnson

Gene

Just one more example of poor accessibility implementation in version 3.x.  This interface needs to be moved through with the JAWS Touch Cursor or with NVDA object navigation.  Do you want to know how to do this with one screen-reader or both? 

If you don't know how to move in these ways, and you are a demanding user who uses apps not just applications, you need to know how to move in these ways with one or both screen-readers.

I can tell you how to move in this interface with NVDA but I almost never use JAWS and haven't used the Touch cursor.  It isn't even available in my old version of JAWS I keep around just in case it works better here and there.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2020 10:57 PM

Never new that!

Best regards,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

Gene

As I said in another message which you will probably see, I assume you can see the entire interface with the JAWS Touch Cursor and I know you can using object navigation in NVDA.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2020 11:50 PM

Pontes actually has some really nice keyboard shortcuts.  You can see a list of them with ctrl-K, but JAWS and NVDA only read the shortcut keys, not the actions.  Virtualizing only shows the words “keyboard shortcuts” at the top of the Window, with blankness below.  The menus tell the shortcut for most functions though.  I will type them up and share them.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kimsan via groups.io

Never new that!

Best regards,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

Gene

When I say poor implementation, its not because the interface is inaccessible.  it's because this is an application, not an app and there is no good reason to have this interface, which a lot of blind people won't know how to work with when another straightforward interface could have been used.  Apps don't have menus and the touch cursor or object navigation is commonly used.  In applications, there is no need and this is another example of Pontes Media Downloader being significantly less accessible in 3.x than in 2.x.

You can easily see the list of shortcuts in version 2.x in the help section and the information is easily accessible just by looking down the page.

Gene

Sent: Monday, May 11, 2020 12:00 AM

Just one more example of poor accessibility implementation in version 3.x.  This interface needs to be moved through with the JAWS Touch Cursor or with NVDA object navigation.  Do you want to know how to do this with one screen-reader or both? 

If you don't know how to move in these ways, and you are a demanding user who uses apps not just applications, you need to know how to move in these ways with one or both screen-readers.

I can tell you how to move in this interface with NVDA but I almost never use JAWS and haven't used the Touch cursor.  It isn't even available in my old version of JAWS I keep around just in case it works better here and there.

Gene
Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2020 10:57 PM

Never new that!

Best regards,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I copied these out of the menu structure.  I believe I got all of them.
keyboard shortcuts control + K
Download URL Control + D
URL field Control + L
source format control + F
conversion formats control + M
downloads table control + T
status bar control + S
for downloads
open control + enter
show download log control + G
delete completed downloads control+ backspace
delete all items control+ shift + backspace
Stop all running downloads Control + Z

Engine shortcuts
update engine Control + U
supported services control + P
Youtube DL webpage control + y
Options
Program options Control + O
select media folder control + shift + E

On 5/10/2020 11:57 PM, Kimsan via groups.io wrote:

Never new that!

Best regards,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Gene

I haven't compared your list with the control k list.  From the little I looked at the control k list last night, it appears you got all or almost all of the same commands from the menus that are in the control k list. 

But there is another accessibility proboem.  To see the status line, you must use object navigation and, presumably, the Touch cursor in JAWS will work as well.  I don't consider such necessities to be proper accessibility in an application and this is an application, not an app. 

Also, a good question to determine with sighted help is whether sighted people see only messages like downloading file or whether they have access to the information we have access to in previous versions.  The status line in 2.x and presumably lower, showed us the speed of the download, the amount downloaded, and I think one or two other things I'm not sure of now. 

People may want to contact the developers about these accessibility regressions.

Gene

Sent: Monday, May 11, 2020 3:03 AM

Hi Group,

I copied these out of the menu structure.  I believe I got all of them.
keyboard shortcuts control + K
Download URL Control + D
URL field Control + L
source format control + F
conversion formats control + M
downloads table control + T
status bar control + S
for downloads
open control + enter
show download log control + G
delete completed downloads control+ backspace
delete all items control+ shift + backspace
Stop all running downloads Control + Z

Engine shortcuts
update engine Control + U
supported services control + P
Youtube DL webpage control + y
Options
Program options Control + O
select media folder control + shift + E

On 5/10/2020 11:57 PM, Kimsan via groups.io wrote:

Never new that!

Best regards,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Kimsan

Well I’ll be dam.

I just would paste the link into the edit field, then tab to the button.

Lol, I’m still in disbelief for a better lack of term that it has keystrokes.

lol

Best regards,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2020 9:50 PM

Never new that!

Best regards,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

Kerryn Gunness <k_gunness@...>

did not even no pontse has keystrokes, waw
i just tab and press buttons

Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 10:56 PM

Well I’ll be dam.

I just would paste the link into the edit field, then tab to the button.

Lol, I’m still in disbelief for a better lack of term that it has keystrokes.

lol

Best regards,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2020 9:50 PM

Never new that!

Best regards,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...