From: "Aidan" <aidan.smarttalk@...>
to: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Talking clock radio
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 10:42:31 +0200

There is one such radio. They are from Cobalt in England. I can't believe that no one on this list know about it. It's called a talking multi function radio. I have one as well. Visit www.cobolt.co.uk

On 21 Mar 2016, at 05:10, Matt <matt.from.florida@...> wrote:

Check out this link as well . It really sounds nice!

https://blindtechnology.wordpress.com/2010/10/08/vision-free-hd-radio-pricey
-but-worth-it/

Matt.from.florida@...

Also the Amazon Echo is a clock , alarm clock, timer and FM radio and much
more. I use my every day almost.

Matt.from.florida@...

I know, but that's talking clocks.  That is not a clock radio. Pam.

I would really like to find a decent electric talking clock radio with
battery backup. When I google it, I get radio controlled clocks, voice
controlled clocks, remote controlled clocks, projection clocks, but I really
don't see a good basic talking clock radio that is still being offered for
sale. I would love to hear from anybody who has one that they like and can
let me know where they are being sold.

Thanks much,

TerriLynne

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Ah, Eeyore, I knew that it was an older message, but I thought perhaps it might still be available as it is a product that is in demand.

If it is not available any longer, that's too bad.

As it happens I was going through my mail folders and in particular, the info folder. I had saved the msg and thought it might be helpful. If it isn't, well, it isn't. No need to be grumpy about it, Eeyore. I promise not to "bounce" you any more today! (See A.A. Milne's House at Pooh Corner; where Eeyore fell in the river)

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Oh ye of little faith! Try this web site that is copyrighted in 2020.

https://www.cobolt.co.uk/products/index/portable-talking-multi-function-radio

Checkmate!!

Ann P.

[...]

Mich Verrier

I jus whent to that websight and found the radio in question but it says it
is out of stock. From Mich.

[...]

Again, why do you persist in posting web sites without first doing your research?  If you had bothered to check this web site, you would have noticed that the Cobolt radio is listed as"temporarily out of stock".  This means that you can't buy it now.  And it is an FM only radio.  And it is more expensive than the Sangean.  Which means, that for all intents and purposes, it is inferior, even if it were available, which it isn't. Double checkmate.

Gerald

On 5/13/2020 10:56 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
[...]

Monte Single

I thought about getting a talking clock radio.
Then I aagot a 1st gen google home mini.
I can set alarms verbally, ask unlimited questions, and listen to all kinds of radio stations.
It cost less than 20 u s dollars on sale at bestbuy just after Christmas.

Also the Amazon Echo is a clock , alarm clock, timer and FM radio and
much more. I use my every day almost.

Matt.from.florida@...

I know, but that's talking clocks. That is not a clock radio. Pam.

I would really like to find a decent electric talking clock radio with
battery backup. When I google it, I get radio controlled clocks, voice
controlled clocks, remote controlled clocks, projection clocks, but I
really
don't see a good basic talking clock radio that is still being offered
for
sale. I would love to hear from anybody who has one that they like and
can
let me know where they are being sold.

Thanks much,

TerriLynne

Gene

I don't use a clock radio because I have an alarm that is loud enough on my cellular feature phone and smart phones have such alarms as well.

another reason is that traditionally, clock radios have had significantly inferior sound and I considered it to be a bad use of money when I could get a radio with much better sound for the same price or perhaps less, I never priced talking clock radios.  Is what used to be true still true, that clock radios have worse sound?

Do you ever bother to check your messages before you send them? The forwarded message is from four years ago, and the information about theCobolt radio is probably outdated, if it is even still available in the first place.  The Sangean PR-D17 is now the new standard for a talking AM/FM clock radio, and Amazon is still selling it for $85, and you won't have to wait months for delivery like you would if you ordered it from overseas, if you could even order it from Cobolt in the first place:

https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-PR-D17-Portable-Specially-Designed/dp/B07T7CP63M

Gerald

On 5/13/2020 8:53 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Somebody was asking about a talking clock radio.  Here you go.
>
> Ann P.

Gerald Levy

But your Alcatel flip phone does not have an accessible built-in radio.  Apparently, this person wants a talking clock radio, not just a talking alarm clock. And the Sangean PR-D17 has excellent sound through its twin 2.5 inch speakers, because it is built more like a boombox that happens to also have an accessible talking alarm clock  rather than being designed like a traditional clock radio.  Just check the reviews for it and its essentially identical non-talking sibling, the PR-D5. For the money, you will not find a better sounding AM/FM radio anywhere.

Gerald

On 5/13/2020 11:38 AM, Gene wrote:
I don't use a clock radio because I have an alarm that is loud enough on my cellular feature phone and smart phones have such alarms as well.

another reason is that traditionally, clock radios have had significantly inferior sound and I considered it to be a bad use of money when I could get a radio with much better sound for the same price or perhaps less, I never priced talking clock radios.  Is what used to be true still true, that clock radios have worse sound?

Do you ever bother to check your messages before you send them? The forwarded message is from four years ago, and the information about theCobolt radio is probably outdated, if it is even still available in the first place.  The Sangean PR-D17 is now the new standard for a talking AM/FM clock radio, and Amazon is still selling it for $85, and you won't have to wait months for delivery like you would if you ordered it from overseas, if you could even order it from Cobolt in the first place:

https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-PR-D17-Portable-Specially-Designed/dp/B07T7CP63M

Gerald

On 5/13/2020 8:53 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Somebody was asking about a talking clock radio.  Here you go.
>
> Ann P.

Gene

I'm not specifically addressing this person.  I'm saying in general why I don't use clock radios.

Actually, my phone does have an accessible FM radio as increasing numbers of Android smart phones do now.  You can't use it as a clock radio but its there.

Do you ever bother to check your messages before you send them? The forwarded message is from four years ago, and the information about theCobolt radio is probably outdated, if it is even still available in the first place.  The Sangean PR-D17 is now the new standard for a talking AM/FM clock radio, and Amazon is still selling it for $85, and you won't have to wait months for delivery like you would if you ordered it from overseas, if you could even order it from Cobolt in the first place:

https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-PR-D17-Portable-Specially-Designed/dp/B07T7CP63M

Gerald

On 5/13/2020 8:53 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Somebody was asking about a talking clock radio.  Here you go.
>
> Ann P.

Gene

That's good that manufacturers are making good sounding clock radios now.

Colonel Monte wrote:

"I thought about getting a talking clock radio.
Then I aagot a 1st gen google home mini.
I can set alarms verbally, ask unlimited questions, and listen to all kinds
of radio stations.
It cost less than 20 u s dollars on sale at bestbuy just after Christmas."

You are FIVE tekkie! Just how did you skip past "too"?

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

It says temporarily out of stock. It's probably due to the Pandemic.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

How expensive is the Sangean. The Cobalt one, when it is in stock, is $83.00.

Ann P.

[...]

Generalissimo Denverdandio didst write,
" You are FIVE tekkie! Just how did you skip past "too"?"

Uhhhmmm?
I don't know :five tekkie".
Guess I missed that movialso.

"I thought about getting a talking clock radio.
Then I aagot a 1st gen google home mini.
I can set alarms verbally, ask unlimited questions, and listen to all kinds
of radio stations.
It cost less than 20 u s dollars on sale at bestbuy just after Christmas."

You are FIVE tekkie! Just how did you skip past "too"?

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Mich Verrier

The sangion is around 100 and a bit at least in canadion funds since our
doller sucks right now compaird to the usd lol. From Mich.

[...]

At the moment, it takes about 1.4 Canadian for 1 u s dollar.
So if the radiois 89;99 dollars, that will be 126 Canadian.

[...]

Is that so?  Then explain to me why it was listed as "temporarily out of stock" last year when I checked this site when there was a discussion on another list about talking radios.  So here's a homework assignment for you.  Check this web site periodically, and when the Cobolt radio is back in stock, let us know.

Gerald

On 5/13/2020 4:39 PM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

It says temporarily out of stock.  It's probably due to the Pandemic.

Ann P.

Gerald Levy

As I mentioned previously, the Sangean PR-D17 is currently selling on Amazon for $85, and offers far superior sound quality and reception to the Cobolt radio.

Gerald

On 5/13/2020 4:43 PM, Ann Parsons wrote:
[...]

The prices are comparable. The Cobalt one sells for 68.10 pounds which comes out to be $83.37. Now, I don't know why they're temporarily out of stock but I will check to see, if I remember.

I have no opinion about the quality of either radio because I have no experience with them at all. I found exactly what I wanted on Amazon some years ago. I found a plain, old, analog radio. It has two knobs and that's it! I use it in my kitchen. It is exactly what I wanted, no fuss, no muss, just a radio.

Ann P.