Topics

6 dot entry for word?

Penny Golden

Dear ones,

This is a letter I got the other day.  Jill's friend wants to do 6 dot entry, I think, but using the PC?

Maybe someone can make more send of this than I did.

I remember 6 dot entry using a qwerty keyboard, but it was at least 30 years ago.

Here is Jill's letter to me.

--

  The braille notetaker, though, I think, has it's own program or translation algorithm. It's not using Word or the like. So, this person  wants to type braille into a Word or Google document with six-key entry input. Translation isn't necessary since the person using it knows braille. I think it's a doable thing, but I don't think there's enough of a market that someone ever considered cultivating it.

I don't think this person has either a braille notetaker or a braille translation program. I think they want a keyboard (physical or simulated) that designates a particular key per braille cell dot. It would have to be chorded so that you can hit multiple keys input and all the keys would act as a chord to form the correct braille character, sort of like a musical keyboard chord.

Funny enough, I used to have one. Pretty touchy---like, it would work when it wanted to, but it was 1986---it's beyond the age of no return. Problem is I only used it with my braille transcription program. Back in those days, it was lighter than carrying around a keyboard. I never even tried it with a regular print program like Word. I like six-key entry, so I never really considered using glyphs or ascii font. It's like Duxbury. Too much of a learning curve for me. I want to see dots on the screen---not symbols.

I also have the Visual Brailler or VB braille ios app. I like it, but it's so flat without give that it would absolutely ruin my braille skills to use it on a regular basis.

Once I bought a graphics embosser, I had to learn about the visual font graphics. All that had to be done with ascii, you know, braille sim font. It actually works out to be real braille in the long run, but typing it is a bear. Six key entry is so much easier.

Speaking of easy. I'm taking a course in UEB mathematics---I absolutely love it! It's 100% logical. No gray matter. WYSIWYG What you see is what you get. No code switches because there's just one code! I didn't think I'd ever ask, why are we still using Nemeth, but I'm beginning to understand why the rest of the world ditched it.

--

Of course, what she wants is in the top of the letter.  Thanks for any ideas. I'll send them on to her, if that's all right.

Penny

Sam Taylor

Hi Penny,

PerkyDuck from Duxbury Systems is free and supports 6 key entry. Could this work?

https://www.duxburysystems.com/perky.asp

On 14/05/2020 10:18 pm, Penny Golden wrote:
[...]

I am 2 steps removed from the person who wants the info. but I'm passing everything along that is sent to me. thank you so much.

Penny

On 5/14/2020 7:33 AM, Sam Taylor wrote:

[...]

Susie Stageberg

I know you can do six-key entry in Duxbury or Braille 2000 or PerkyDuck using certain qwerty keyboards; it used to be that the cheaper, no-frills keyboards worked better for this than the fancy-schmantzy ones. Some refreshable Braille displays allow six-key entry throughout Windows. Braille notetakers usually have a word processor as part of their software; sometimes it's a version of Word, sometimes not.
  To my knowledge, there is no way to just sit down at a PC keyboard and do six-key entry in a Word document. You have to type the "regular" way. In order for Braille to work, there has to be software present that knows what Braille is, which Word does not.

Susie

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

On May 14, 2020 7:33 AM, Sam Taylor <sjt1982@...> wrote:

[...]

Josh Kennedy

hi
Why not buy the orbit writer from www.orbitresearch.com for $99. This will give you six-dot entry into any application you want on the computer. If your computer does not have bluetooth, just get a bluetooth to USB adapter for 3 or $5 on amazon?