Topics

switching log in email address in facebook

Keith S

Hi, I asked this question earlier in the week and was told by one member that she could not remember exactly how to do this.

I did a help search from inside facebook and it said something about clicking on a 3 dot symbol and then selecting from a drop down menu that opens.

Is this  possible on a windows 10 compuger running jaws?

Seems like every application and/or program out there (at least the ones made by microsoft) have hotkey buttons and keystrokes you can use but Facebook apparrently has not caught on.

Ponse media downloader even has hotkeys a blind person can use, though I honestly don't use them, instead I simply use the tab key to navigate around.

But I digress,

I added an additional email address to my facebook account, but the original email I entered to make the account is still listed as the primary log in email.

these 3 dot thingie is supposed to open a menu to make the needed changes, but like I said, I have never come across 3 dots (due to being blind) to get this done.

Any help?

Thanks

Keith

George McCoy

Keith,

Those 3 dot symbols are usually labeled so that screen readers can tell you what they are.  For example, one of them having to do with individual posts is labeled story options.

What did your instructions say to do after clicking on the 3 dots?  Knowing that could help us figure out which item on the page to look for.

George

On 5/16/2020 12:30 PM, Keith S wrote:
[...]

The item you want is account settings.  To the sighted it appears as either 3 dots or 3 verticle lines.  Click to expand the menu.

Arrow down to settings and press enter to open it.

move by heading to the general settings heading.

Expand the contacts menu.

Down arrow until you come to emails.

Your current email is shown.

Keep arrowing down to the add email button.

Add the email you want to use as your new user ID.

You will receive two emails.  One will go to your current primary account telling you that a new email was added.

The other goes to the new email address asking you to confirm it.

Press the confirm button.

Reopen Facebook and navigate back to the emails dialog.

You will see both the old and new emails listed.  There will be a checkbox labeled primary or something similar.  Check it for the new email and you should be all set.

Hth,

[...]

After searching in the help section of facebook for "How do I change my log in email address?" I am directed to go to the following address and follow the directions.  If possible, could someone check this link out and explain to me exactly what I'm supposed to do?  I have been able to add a new email address to the facebook account I use, but the original email is still my log in address, not the one I wish to use...

facebook.com/changeemail

Thanks and sorry for the extra work

[...]

and what link is the "account settings" link under?  Is it at the bottom of the page near the help link?

[...]

I don't have JAWS, but you should be able to find it using the page search feature in JAWS.

On 5/17/2020 10:52 AM, Keith S wrote:
[...]

Okay, I think I have gotten pretty far in changing my facebook log in address, but I am stuck, yet again, in the process.

Here is what I have done so far and what I am hearing from jaws on the screens as they progress through the process.

Settings & Privacy link

settings/account/?settings_tracking=mbasic_footer_link%3Asettings_2_0&refid=31 link

email is listed and there is a link below it taht says edit.

I clicked on edit and the new window has my original email and next to it it says primary

below that line it says privacy and it says friends and below that it says edit (which I am assuming I can change to allow people who are not active friends to look me up using that email address in the search bar on facebook.

below that is the second email address which I want to make as my log in address and next to that is says confirmed, as you explained via the emails I got after I had added the email address to my facebook account.

the only option under that is remove for the secondary email which I want to make my log in email address.

not sure what else I am supposed to do. like I said, the help file said to do something with the 3 dots but there is no option to make the new email address my primary log in address for my facebook account.

[...]

I have a throw away FB account I use for experiments like this.  The information I read seemed to indicate that when a second email address is added, the primary designator for the first email addre3ss can be unchecked.  Give that a shot and get back to me.  When I get home from work this evening, I'll take a look at it with my experimental page and see what I can find out.

George

On 5/17/2020 5:34 PM, Keith S wrote:

[...]

Tried using the virtual cursor and nothing has changed.  Tried clicking on the word primary and the word  confirmed  and no change to the log in email address.

I also tried to send a contact messege to the accessibility facebook page on facebook and entered the info and hit the next button and nothing happens.

shrug.  not sure what to do now.

thanks for all the help you've put in this issue.

Will wait for your response

Thanks

Keith

[...]

Well, I'm stimied at this point, too, Keith.  My daughter is supposed to visit tomorrow and I'll see if she can help.  She's good with computers and can see.

George