Topics

How do I unzip files with Windows 10?

Peter Spitz

Does Windows 10 have a built-in file extractor or do I need to get
one? Either way, could someone post instructions on how I would unzip
files and what accessible software works best please?

Thanks!

Peter

Gene

It has one.  I don't know what it extracts, MP3 certainly.  I don't have Windows 10 but its very likely to be the same as in Windows 7 to extract files. 
Be on the file name.  Open the context menu. 
Down arrow to extract all and press enter.
A wizard will open with perhaps two dialogs before extraction.  If you have questions or problems using them, let us know.  Unless you change what will happen by default, files will be extracted to a folder, created in the folder you are in.  For example, if the name of the zip file is Sixties Music.zip a folder will be created in the folder where the zip folder is with that name and all the extracted files in it.
All you need do to have this happen is press the next button perhaps twice. 

7zip is a popular third party extraction program but if you don't need it, the Windows extractor works well.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 7:41 PM
To: main
Subject: [TechTalk] How do I unzip files with Windows 10?

one?  Either way, could someone post instructions on how I would unzip

Thanks!

Peter

Monte Single

In win10,

Select the file you want to unzip,
Pressthe context key,
Press the letter t,
Press enter,
Press enter a second time and the file will be extracted to a folder with the same name as the file being extracted.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Spitz
Sent: May-27-20 6:41 PM
To: main <main@techtalk.groups.io>

Does Windows 10 have a built-in file extractor or do I need to get one? Either way, could someone post instructions on how I would unzip files and what accessible software works best please?

Thanks!

Peter

Fanus

Hello Gene

I am sorry but you are wrong on this one. An earlier version of win10 could do what you suggest but it was taken out by a later win10 update. When I now press the application key I just get Winzip which is not free and another one that one also has to buy. I do not know if this is true for other users of windows 10 but it is like that on my pc.

Regards

Fanus

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 4:51 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] How do I unzip files with Windows 10?

It has one.  I don't know what it extracts, MP3 certainly.  I don't have Windows 10 but its very likely to be the same as in Windows 7 to extract files. 

A wizard will open with perhaps two dialogs before extraction.  If you have questions or problems using them, let us know.  Unless you change what will happen by default, files will be extracted to a folder, created in the folder you are in.  For example, if the name of the zip file is Sixties Music.zip a folder will be created in the folder where the zip folder is with that name and all the extracted files in it.

7zip is a popular third party extraction program but if you don't need it, the Windows extractor works well.

Gene

Thanks!

Peter

Smiling?

Just install 7Zip from Ninite.com where nothing else will be installed hidden or not, and 7Zip will allow you to unzip/decompress many different formats.

Unzipping/Decompressing Instructions after 7Zip is installed.

You would just highlight whichever file it is that you’re interested in unzipping/decompressing and then using your Applications key (or Shift+F10) hit the number 7 and this will open up the 7Zip menu options to unzip.

Just arrow to either

Extract Here or,

Extract to whichever folder name created by the name of the file you are extracting and press Enter.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Fanus
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 2:44

Hello Gene

I am sorry but you are wrong on this one. An earlier version of win10 could do what you suggest but it was taken out by a later win10 update. When I now press the application key I just get Winzip which is not free and another one that one also has to buy. I do not know if this is true for other users of windows 10 but it is like that on my pc.

Regards

Fanus

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene

Gene

Thanks!

Peter

chris judge

Not true for me, and I have the latest windows 10 update. I get the extract all option as I always did.

Sent: May 28, 2020 6:44 AM

Hello Gene

Regards

Fanus

Gene

Thanks!

Peter

chris judge

Will 7 zip extract rar files?

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Smiling?
Sent: May 28, 2020 7:09 AM

Just install 7Zip from Ninite.com where nothing else will be installed hidden or not, and 7Zip will allow you to unzip/decompress many different formats.

You would just highlight whichever file it is that you’re interested in unzipping/decompressing and then using your Applications key (or Shift+F10) hit the number 7 and this will open up the 7Zip menu options to unzip.

Just arrow to either

Extract Here or,

Extract to whichever folder name created by the name of the file you are extracting and press Enter.

Hello Gene

Regards

Fanus

Gene

Thanks!

Peter

Smiling?

Very much, yes.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of chris judge
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 3:12

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@...> On Behalf Of Smiling?

Just arrow to either

Extract Here or,

Hello Gene

Regards

Fanus

Gene

Thanks!

Peter

Gene

Which doesn't mean I am wrong.  All we know at this point is that that is what happened on your single computer.  I see no logical reason that Microsoft would have taken out the unarchive utility that has been in Windows going back as far as XP and given the number of people who used the Windows utility, lists like this would have had an avalanche of inquiries if it had disappeared.  If enough people confirm that it happened to them as well as you, then it may be that Microsoft removed it.  At this time, I have no reason to believe it was anything more than a fault in how the Windows Update ran on your specific machine.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 4:43 AM

Hello Gene

Regards

Fanus

Gene

Thanks!

Peter

chris judge

A while ago I had an issue where I was unable to find the extract all option. I found it strange as I couldn’t think of anything I had done to change things. I finally remembered that I had installed VLC media player to test things for a friend. I uninstalled VLC and the extract option was back again. Go figure.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: May 28, 2020 9:14 AM

Which doesn't mean I am wrong.  All we know at this point is that that is what happened on your single computer.  I see no logical reason that Microsoft would have taken out the unarchive utility that has been in Windows going back as far as XP and given the number of people who used the Windows utility, lists like this would have had an avalanche of inquiries if it had disappeared.  If enough people confirm that it happened to them as well as you, then it may be that Microsoft removed it.  At this time, I have no reason to believe it was anything more than a fault in how the Windows Update ran on your specific machine.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 4:43 AM

Hello Gene

Regards

Fanus

Gene

Thanks!

Peter

Gene

It does.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 5:12 AM

Just arrow to either

Extract Here or,

Hello Gene

Regards

Fanus

Gene

Thanks!

Peter

Monte Single

I think 7zip rocks.

It’s free.

It’s simple, I just  use the 7zip submenu in the context menu.

…and it unzips anything I toss in the hopper.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of chris judge
Sent: May-28-20 4:12 AM

Just arrow to either

Extract Here or,

Hello Gene

Regards

Fanus

Gene

Thanks!

Peter

Mike B

Hi Fanus,

If the Extract all option isn't in the context menu try pressing, Shift + F10, to open the extended context menu.  Here's an article on how to put the Extract all option into the context menu.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3233-extract-all-context-menu-add-remove-windows.html

Extract All, Context Menu How To Add or Remove in Windows
How to Add or Remove 'Extract All' Context Menu for ZIP Files in Windows
Published by Brink

How to Add or Remove 'Extract All' Context Menu for ZIP Files in Windows

Information:
When you right click or press and hold on a .zip file, the Extract All context menu will extract all contents in the .zip file into a new folder and opens
the new folder.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove the 'Extract All' context menu for .zip files for all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

You must be signed in to Windows as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.

EXAMPLE: "Extract All" context menu

Name:  ZIP_Extract_All_context_menu.jpgSize:  35.0 KB

Here's How:

1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add "Extract All" to Context Menu of .zip Files
NOTE:This is the default setting.
A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_Extract_All_context_menu.reg

download
3. To Remove "Extract All" from Context Menu of .zip Files
A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_Extract_All_context_menu.reg

download
4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click on Run, Yes
(UAC),
Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
Shawn

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
 *My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 2:43 AM

Hello Gene

Regards

Fanus

Gene

Thanks!

Peter

Mike B

Yes, it'll extract, .RAR, files, but you can extract, .RAR, and, Zip, files at the same time.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
 *My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 3:12 AM

Just arrow to either

Extract Here or,

Hello Gene

Regards

Fanus

Gene

Thanks!

Peter

Veronica Kirk

Yes it will.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of chris judge
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 5:12 AM

Just arrow to either

Extract Here or,

Hello Gene

Regards

Fanus

Gene

Thanks!

Peter

Nancy Hill

Monty, where did you get your winzip?  And you are sure it is a free version and not just a free trial?

Thanks,

Nancy

On 5/28/2020 8:33 AM, Monte Single wrote:

I think 7zip rocks.

It’s free.

Just arrow to either

Extract Here or,

Hello Gene

Regards

Fanus

Gene

Thanks!

Peter

Fanus

Hello Mike, Gene and others

Well, the strange thing. After I followed the instructions from the link which Mike gave I still did not have an “extract” item in the application menu. There were trials of express zip and win7 zip. I decided to remove those two and now the “extract” item does appear, so I suppose one of the trial versions of the above mentioned programs blocked the “extract” item. So, very sorry, Gene that I said you were wrong.

Regards

Fanus

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Nancy Hill
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2020 4:02 AM

Monty, where did you get your winzip?  And you are sure it is a free version and not just a free trial?

Thanks,

Nancy

I think 7zip rocks.

It’s free.

Just arrow to either

Extract Here or,

Hello Gene

Regards

Fanus

Gene

Thanks!

Peter

Gene

That's alright.  I'm glad you got the functionality back.  I suspect uninstalling whatever program did it, and I've never seen 7zip do this, a reverted a registry setting.  I've seen lots of uninstallers leave registry changes unreverted, or some of them. so I'm glad this uninstallation changed what is needed.

Gene

Sent: Friday, May 29, 2020 8:21 AM

Hello Mike, Gene and others

Well, the strange thing. After I followed the instructions from the link which Mike gave I still did not have an “extract” item in the application menu. There were trials of express zip and win7 zip. I decided to remove those two and now the “extract” item does appear, so I suppose one of the trial versions of the above mentioned programs blocked the “extract” item. So, very sorry, Gene that I said you were wrong.

Regards

Fanus

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Nancy Hill
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2020 4:02 AM

Thanks,

Nancy

I think 7zip rocks.

It’s free.

Just arrow to either

Extract Here or,

Hello Gene

Regards

Fanus

Gene

Thanks!

Peter

Pamela Dominguez

Yes.  That’s actually why I got it.  Before, I was just using the windows unzip utility, but then I got a rar file I had to unzip.  Pam.

Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 6:12 AM

Just arrow to either

Extract Here or,

Hello Gene

Regards

Fanus

Gene

Thanks!

Peter

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Angelo Sonnesso

7 zip will extract just about anything, including .iso images.

73 N2DYN Angelo

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Pamela Dominguez
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2020 5:19 PM

Yes.  That’s actually why I got it.  Before, I was just using the windows unzip utility, but then I got a rar file I had to unzip.  Pam.

Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 6:12 AM

Just arrow to either

Extract Here or,

Hello Gene

Regards

Fanus

Gene

Thanks!

Peter

Virus-free. www.avg.com