replace laptop with an iPad?


Josh Kennedy
 

Hi

These days in 2020, with iPad OS, is it possible to replace your laptop with an iPad and use an iPad as your main computing device? Or is a windows laptop still necessary? With mouse support in the latest iPad OS I would think replacing a laptop with an iPad is becoming easier all the time. So have any of you got rid of desktops and laptops running windows and just use your iPhone or iPad as your main computing device?

 

Josh

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


Victor
 

Hi Josh:

I don’t own an iPad Pro, but I plan to get one soon and use it as my laptop replacement. I currently own an iPad mini 2 and I have used an iPad Pro before. In my opinion, there is no reason why the iPad cannot replace the traditional laptop. With the right apps, the iPad can perform all common computer tasks and most heavy duty tasks. Even the most advanced ones.

If you would like to know more, look up a website called the tech juggernaut. On that website, there is information about using the iPad as an alternative to the traditional laptop. Plus, there are many YouTube videos about this.

HTH,

Victor


On May 29, 2020, at 2:38 PM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:



Hi

These days in 2020, with iPad OS, is it possible to replace your laptop with an iPad and use an iPad as your main computing device? Or is a windows laptop still necessary? With mouse support in the latest iPad OS I would think replacing a laptop with an iPad is becoming easier all the time. So have any of you got rid of desktops and laptops running windows and just use your iPhone or iPad as your main computing device?

 

Josh

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...>
 

I have a different view on this topic. For some sighted users an iPad may, under certain conditions, be a good replacement for a Windows laptop, particularly if you use it with a keyboard. You can use Office as well as the iWork suite, browse the Web, check your email and have a system that's portable, very fast and extremely secure. However, while VoiceOver is great using it on a touch screen its performance with a keyboard is just barely adequate compared to using a Windows screen reader, particularly JAWS. Its Web navigation capabilities using a keyboard are very poor, speech sometimes reads incorrectly while navigating a document I'm trying to edit and there just aren't enough keyboard commands to provide certain types of information that I can easily access with JAWS. If an iPad with a keyboard and VoiceOver offered me the same level of accessibility as I am used to with JAWS or NVDA I'd definitely consider using an iPad as a secondary computer. As an example, there are so many options to configure how JAWS works with Microsoft Word which just are not going to be available with VoiceOver on an iPad. However, this is just not available at this time. In addition, I also use Leasey, a third party tool that runs alongside of JAWS to provide even more productivity and VoiceOver just doesn't offer such an option. If you want to invest in an iPad feel free to do so. I think it's a great tablet with very nice touch screen accessibility and adequate accessibility if you want to type a quick email. However, don't throw away that laptop because, if you're even somewhat accustomed to using Windows, I think you will find the iPad to be frustrating and very disappointing.


David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org
On 5/30/2020 4:38 AM, Victor wrote:

Hi Josh:

I don’t own an iPad Pro, but I plan to get one soon and use it as my laptop replacement. I currently own an iPad mini 2 and I have used an iPad Pro before. In my opinion, there is no reason why the iPad cannot replace the traditional laptop. With the right apps, the iPad can perform all common computer tasks and most heavy duty tasks. Even the most advanced ones.

If you would like to know more, look up a website called the tech juggernaut. On that website, there is information about using the iPad as an alternative to the traditional laptop. Plus, there are many YouTube videos about this.

HTH,

Victor


On May 29, 2020, at 2:38 PM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:



Hi

These days in 2020, with iPad OS, is it possible to replace your laptop with an iPad and use an iPad as your main computing device? Or is a windows laptop still necessary? With mouse support in the latest iPad OS I would think replacing a laptop with an iPad is becoming easier all the time. So have any of you got rid of desktops and laptops running windows and just use your iPhone or iPad as your main computing device?

 

Josh

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


Gene
 

I'm not discussing this from personal experience but I was curious.  I'd seen it stated years ago that the IPad is far more a consumption device, for streaming for example, than for serious demanding work.  But since this was years ago, I wanted to see if things had changed.
 
I found this article, which takes the production side, but almost all of the eight or ten comments following were strongly opposed to this article's premise and said that the IPad is not suitable for serious production.  I'm not taking a side but those considering the question may find the page interesting along with whatever else they may want to consider.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2020 3:57 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] replace laptop with an iPad?

I have a different view on this topic. For some sighted users an iPad may, under certain conditions, be a good replacement for a Windows laptop, particularly if you use it with a keyboard. You can use Office as well as the iWork suite, browse the Web, check your email and have a system that's portable, very fast and extremely secure. However, while VoiceOver is great using it on a touch screen its performance with a keyboard is just barely adequate compared to using a Windows screen reader, particularly JAWS. Its Web navigation capabilities using a keyboard are very poor, speech sometimes reads incorrectly while navigating a document I'm trying to edit and there just aren't enough keyboard commands to provide certain types of information that I can easily access with JAWS. If an iPad with a keyboard and VoiceOver offered me the same level of accessibility as I am used to with JAWS or NVDA I'd definitely consider using an iPad as a secondary computer. As an example, there are so many options to configure how JAWS works with Microsoft Word which just are not going to be available with VoiceOver on an iPad. However, this is just not available at this time. In addition, I also use Leasey, a third party tool that runs alongside of JAWS to provide even more productivity and VoiceOver just doesn't offer such an option. If you want to invest in an iPad feel free to do so. I think it's a great tablet with very nice touch screen accessibility and adequate accessibility if you want to type a quick email. However, don't throw away that laptop because, if you're even somewhat accustomed to using Windows, I think you will find the iPad to be frustrating and very disappointing.


David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org
On 5/30/2020 4:38 AM, Victor wrote:
Hi Josh:

I don’t own an iPad Pro, but I plan to get one soon and use it as my laptop replacement. I currently own an iPad mini 2 and I have used an iPad Pro before. In my opinion, there is no reason why the iPad cannot replace the traditional laptop. With the right apps, the iPad can perform all common computer tasks and most heavy duty tasks. Even the most advanced ones.

If you would like to know more, look up a website called the tech juggernaut. On that website, there is information about using the iPad as an alternative to the traditional laptop. Plus, there are many YouTube videos about this.

HTH,

Victor


On May 29, 2020, at 2:38 PM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:



Hi

These days in 2020, with iPad OS, is it possible to replace your laptop with an iPad and use an iPad as your main computing device? Or is a windows laptop still necessary? With mouse support in the latest iPad OS I would think replacing a laptop with an iPad is becoming easier all the time. So have any of you got rid of desktops and laptops running windows and just use your iPhone or iPad as your main computing device?

 

Josh

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


Carolyn Arnold
 

I do think that in the future, tablets will replace most computers.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Victor
Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2020 4:39 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] replace laptop with an iPad?

Hi Josh:

I don’t own an iPad Pro, but I plan to get one soon and use it as my laptop replacement. I currently own an iPad mini 2 and I have used an iPad Pro before. In my opinion, there is no reason why the iPad cannot replace the traditional laptop. With the right apps, the iPad can perform all common computer tasks and most heavy duty tasks. Even the most advanced ones.

If you would like to know more, look up a website called the tech juggernaut. On that website, there is information about using the iPad as an alternative to the traditional laptop. Plus, there are many YouTube videos about this.

HTH,

Victor



On May 29, 2020, at 2:38 PM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:





Hi

These days in 2020, with iPad OS, is it possible to replace your laptop with an iPad and use an iPad as your main computing device? Or is a windows laptop still necessary? With mouse support in the latest iPad OS I would think replacing a laptop with an iPad is becoming easier all the time. So have any of you got rid of desktops and laptops running windows and just use your iPhone or iPad as your main computing device?



Josh





Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10


Carolyn Arnold
 

I can see your point, David. At one time, I very much wanted to get an Android phone and bought a tablet at a reasonable price. This tablet had a keyboard with good-sized keys on it, but it seemed too clumsy. I never got as good typing on it as I am on my iPhone touch screen, won't buy keyboard for iPhone, because of my tablet experience. I could just about do more with the touch screen, and certainly didn't know what I was doing. I finally sold it, found out about the Hadley videos, and bought an iPhone. I'd had one before, but, with it, I didn't half know what to do with the thing.

Still, I think that the time will eventually come, that for most people, tablets will be the way to go, sort of like smart phones now. I remember saying in the late 90's that I thought eventually, people would just have cell phones that they could carry with them all the time. Sure enough, we're just about there, not quite, but getting close.

Oh, I wonder, with a keyboard for iPhone, can you put numbers in, when you call somewhere, and they ask for, say a prescription number, which changes frequently?> I keep getting told, before I get a number in that I haven't given the right number - but, then, if they'd let me get it all in, it would be right. I realize that is an automation issue, just trying to work on solution.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Goldfield
Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2020 4:57 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] replace laptop with an iPad?

I have a different view on this topic. For some sighted users an iPad may, under certain conditions, be a good replacement for a Windows laptop, particularly if you use it with a keyboard. You can use Office as well as the iWork suite, browse the Web, check your email and have a system that's portable, very fast and extremely secure. However, while VoiceOver is great using it on a touch screen its performance with a keyboard is just barely adequate compared to using a Windows screen reader, particularly JAWS. Its Web navigation capabilities using a keyboard are very poor, speech sometimes reads incorrectly while navigating a document I'm trying to edit and there just aren't enough keyboard commands to provide certain types of information that I can easily access with JAWS. If an iPad with a keyboard and VoiceOver offered me the same level of accessibility as I am used to with JAWS or NVDA I'd definitely consider using an iPad as a secondary computer. As an example, there are so many options to configure how JAWS works with Microsoft Word which just are not going to be available with VoiceOver on an iPad. However, this is just not available at this time. In addition, I also use Leasey, a third party tool that runs alongside of JAWS to provide even more productivity and VoiceOver just doesn't offer such an option. If you want to invest in an iPad feel free to do so. I think it's a great tablet with very nice touch screen accessibility and adequate accessibility if you want to type a quick email. However, don't throw away that laptop because, if you're even somewhat accustomed to using Windows, I think you will find the iPad to be frustrating and very disappointing.




David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org <http://WWW.DavidGoldfield.org> On 5/30/2020 4:38 AM, Victor wrote:


Hi Josh:

I don’t own an iPad Pro, but I plan to get one soon and use it as my laptop replacement. I currently own an iPad mini 2 and I have used an iPad Pro before. In my opinion, there is no reason why the iPad cannot replace the traditional laptop. With the right apps, the iPad can perform all common computer tasks and most heavy duty tasks. Even the most advanced ones.

If you would like to know more, look up a website called the tech juggernaut. On that website, there is information about using the iPad as an alternative to the traditional laptop. Plus, there are many YouTube videos about this.

HTH,

Victor



On May 29, 2020, at 2:38 PM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> <mailto:joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:





Hi

These days in 2020, with iPad OS, is it possible to replace your laptop with an iPad and use an iPad as your main computing device? Or is a windows laptop still necessary? With mouse support in the latest iPad OS I would think replacing a laptop with an iPad is becoming easier all the time. So have any of you got rid of desktops and laptops running windows and just use your iPhone or iPad as your main computing device?



Josh





Sent from Mail <https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgo.microsoft.com%2Ffwlink%2F%3FLinkId%3D550986&data=02%7C01%7C%7C38da2c640eee4f4cdf1d08d80474e832%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637264247434612222&sdata=sg3tvAwU3gQ1%2Fb8n0kCbg%2FhEdUHKwhRLrr90eU7HhNU%3D&reserved=0> for Windows 10


Marie <magpie.mn@...>
 

I have an IPad and use it a lot. But, and this is only my opinion, it will probably never replace my Windows laptop. The IOS is too restrictive on how you accomplish every day tasks for my usage. Of course, I have used a PC for so many many mor years than the I devices. I do know there are lots of people who feel they can do everything they want on the iPad but it is not for me.
There are so many different ways to do things on the PC and sadly, the Anddroid is a bit more like the PC but I have tried several different devices using the Android platform and find the accessibility too difficult and was too frustrating for an old gal like me.
Marie
 
 

From: Gene
Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2020 2:37 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] replace laptop with an iPad?
 
I'm not discussing this from personal experience but I was curious.  I'd seen it stated years ago that the IPad is far more a consumption device, for streaming for example, than for serious demanding work.  But since this was years ago, I wanted to see if things had changed.
 
I found this article, which takes the production side, but almost all of the eight or ten comments following were strongly opposed to this article's premise and said that the IPad is not suitable for serious production.  I'm not taking a side but those considering the question may find the page interesting along with whatever else they may want to consider.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: David Goldfield
Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2020 3:57 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] replace laptop with an iPad?
 

I have a different view on this topic. For some sighted users an iPad may, under certain conditions, be a good replacement for a Windows laptop, particularly if you use it with a keyboard. You can use Office as well as the iWork suite, browse the Web, check your email and have a system that's portable, very fast and extremely secure. However, while VoiceOver is great using it on a touch screen its performance with a keyboard is just barely adequate compared to using a Windows screen reader, particularly JAWS. Its Web navigation capabilities using a keyboard are very poor, speech sometimes reads incorrectly while navigating a document I'm trying to edit and there just aren't enough keyboard commands to provide certain types of information that I can easily access with JAWS. If an iPad with a keyboard and VoiceOver offered me the same level of accessibility as I am used to with JAWS or NVDA I'd definitely consider using an iPad as a secondary computer. As an example, there are so many options to configure how JAWS works with Microsoft Word which just are not going to be available with VoiceOver on an iPad. However, this is just not available at this time. In addition, I also use Leasey, a third party tool that runs alongside of JAWS to provide even more productivity and VoiceOver just doesn't offer such an option. If you want to invest in an iPad feel free to do so. I think it's a great tablet with very nice touch screen accessibility and adequate accessibility if you want to type a quick email. However, don't throw away that laptop because, if you're even somewhat accustomed to using Windows, I think you will find the iPad to be frustrating and very disappointing.

 

David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org
On 5/30/2020 4:38 AM, Victor wrote:
Hi Josh:
 
I don’t own an iPad Pro, but I plan to get one soon and use it as my laptop replacement. I currently own an iPad mini 2 and I have used an iPad Pro before. In my opinion, there is no reason why the iPad cannot replace the traditional laptop. With the right apps, the iPad can perform all common computer tasks and most heavy duty tasks. Even the most advanced ones.
 
If you would like to know more, look up a website called the tech juggernaut. On that website, there is information about using the iPad as an alternative to the traditional laptop. Plus, there are many YouTube videos about this.
 
HTH,
 
Victor
 

On May 29, 2020, at 2:38 PM, Josh Kennedy mailto:joshknnd1982@... wrote:



Hi

These days in 2020, with iPad OS, is it possible to replace your laptop with an iPad and use an iPad as your main computing device? Or is a windows laptop still necessary? With mouse support in the latest iPad OS I would think replacing a laptop with an iPad is becoming easier all the time. So have any of you got rid of desktops and laptops running windows and just use your iPhone or iPad as your main computing device?

 

Josh

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

 


A.Mac
 

hi, can you download  from a third party on a i-pad. i.e a film or a book from a e-mail group.


On 30/05/2020 09:57, David Goldfield wrote:

I have a different view on this topic. For some sighted users an iPad may, under certain conditions, be a good replacement for a Windows laptop, particularly if you use it with a keyboard. You can use Office as well as the iWork suite, browse the Web, check your email and have a system that's portable, very fast and extremely secure. However, while VoiceOver is great using it on a touch screen its performance with a keyboard is just barely adequate compared to using a Windows screen reader, particularly JAWS. Its Web navigation capabilities using a keyboard are very poor, speech sometimes reads incorrectly while navigating a document I'm trying to edit and there just aren't enough keyboard commands to provide certain types of information that I can easily access with JAWS. If an iPad with a keyboard and VoiceOver offered me the same level of accessibility as I am used to with JAWS or NVDA I'd definitely consider using an iPad as a secondary computer. As an example, there are so many options to configure how JAWS works with Microsoft Word which just are not going to be available with VoiceOver on an iPad. However, this is just not available at this time. In addition, I also use Leasey, a third party tool that runs alongside of JAWS to provide even more productivity and VoiceOver just doesn't offer such an option. If you want to invest in an iPad feel free to do so. I think it's a great tablet with very nice touch screen accessibility and adequate accessibility if you want to type a quick email. However, don't throw away that laptop because, if you're even somewhat accustomed to using Windows, I think you will find the iPad to be frustrating and very disappointing.


David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org
On 5/30/2020 4:38 AM, Victor wrote:
Hi Josh:

I don’t own an iPad Pro, but I plan to get one soon and use it as my laptop replacement. I currently own an iPad mini 2 and I have used an iPad Pro before. In my opinion, there is no reason why the iPad cannot replace the traditional laptop. With the right apps, the iPad can perform all common computer tasks and most heavy duty tasks. Even the most advanced ones.

If you would like to know more, look up a website called the tech juggernaut. On that website, there is information about using the iPad as an alternative to the traditional laptop. Plus, there are many YouTube videos about this.

HTH,

Victor


On May 29, 2020, at 2:38 PM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:



Hi

These days in 2020, with iPad OS, is it possible to replace your laptop with an iPad and use an iPad as your main computing device? Or is a windows laptop still necessary? With mouse support in the latest iPad OS I would think replacing a laptop with an iPad is becoming easier all the time. So have any of you got rid of desktops and laptops running windows and just use your iPhone or iPad as your main computing device?

 

Josh

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

-- 
Thanks for your time in advance.
😎
Later
A.Mac
[all out going mail is scanned by Avira]


Victor
 

Hi:

I believe you can.  Some apps will force you to store downloads inside that particular app, but many apps allow you to move downloads from one app to another.

As for using an iPad as an alternative to the traditional laptop, this is what I've heard and read:

According to most of the articles I've read and most of the YouTube videos I've seen on this topic, the iPad can be used as an alternative to the traditional laptop.  However, you must be willing to adjust to iOS and stop expecting it to behave like Windows or Mac OS.  They say that you must be willing to use some apps that are different from the ones you've been used to using on Windows or the Mac until those apps are developed for iOS.  More and more of the apps are being developed for iOS on a regular basis.  There are rumors that the Logic music production app and the Final Cut Pro video production app will come to iPad OS soon which will make the iPad an even more viable alternative to the traditional laptop.

Most seem to believe that Apple's new Magic keyboard and bluetooth keyboards make the IPad more viable and attractive.  Mouse support helps too.

Even those who claim that the iPad isn't a laptop alternative say that it probably will be soon.  They just want to see a few improvements made.

It's worth noting that many Mac users have been upset with Apple because they believe that the company has been putting more resources into the development of the i'Pad than it has into the development of the Mac.  But with the release of the new MacBooks, they might be happier now.

Personally, VoiceOver for the iPhone and the iPad has been wonderful!  Like all screen readers, it has a few quirks.  However, I like VoiceOver for iOS and Mac better than JAWS and NVDA.  I think VoiceOver for IOS is better than VoiceOver for Mac, JAWS and NVDA.  I find it very easy to swipe, tap and access items using the rotar.

I might decide to buy a MacBook Pro instead of an iPad Pro if I decide that a MacBook Pro will better meet my needs and desires.  But I doubt I'll ever return to Windows as my primary operating system.  I've had three laptops become disabled by viruses, malware and spyware.  I've also had applications become disabled by bad Windows updates.  I haven't any of those problems with iOS.  I did have a problem downloading an update to the Mac and I needed expert help fixing that.  I guess that's one of the reasons why I prefer the iPad as a laptop alternative.

Anyway, it's really all abou′ personal experience and personal preference.  For every person who prefers the traditional laptop, there's probably one person who prefers the iPad.  At least that's how it seems from everything I've read and seen.

Victor 
 Sent from my iPhone

On May 30, 2020, at 8:15 PM, A.Mac via groups.io <a.mcaneney@...> wrote:



hi, can you download  from a third party on a i-pad. i.e a film or a book from a e-mail group.


On 30/05/2020 09:57, David Goldfield wrote:

I have a different view on this topic. For some sighted users an iPad may, under certain conditions, be a good replacement for a Windows laptop, particularly if you use it with a keyboard. You can use Office as well as the iWork suite, browse the Web, check your email and have a system that's portable, very fast and extremely secure. However, while VoiceOver is great using it on a touch screen its performance with a keyboard is just barely adequate compared to using a Windows screen reader, particularly JAWS. Its Web navigation capabilities using a keyboard are very poor, speech sometimes reads incorrectly while navigating a document I'm trying to edit and there just aren't enough keyboard commands to provide certain types of information that I can easily access with JAWS. If an iPad with a keyboard and VoiceOver offered me the same level of accessibility as I am used to with JAWS or NVDA I'd definitely consider using an iPad as a secondary computer. As an example, there are so many options to configure how JAWS works with Microsoft Word which just are not going to be available with VoiceOver on an iPad. However, this is just not available at this time. In addition, I also use Leasey, a third party tool that runs alongside of JAWS to provide even more productivity and VoiceOver just doesn't offer such an option. If you want to invest in an iPad feel free to do so. I think it's a great tablet with very nice touch screen accessibility and adequate accessibility if you want to type a quick email. However, don't throw away that laptop because, if you're even somewhat accustomed to using Windows, I think you will find the iPad to be frustrating and very disappointing.


David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org
On 5/30/2020 4:38 AM, Victor wrote:
Hi Josh:

I don’t own an iPad Pro, but I plan to get one soon and use it as my laptop replacement. I currently own an iPad mini 2 and I have used an iPad Pro before. In my opinion, there is no reason why the iPad cannot replace the traditional laptop. With the right apps, the iPad can perform all common computer tasks and most heavy duty tasks. Even the most advanced ones.

If you would like to know more, look up a website called the tech juggernaut. On that website, there is information about using the iPad as an alternative to the traditional laptop. Plus, there are many YouTube videos about this.

HTH,

Victor


On May 29, 2020, at 2:38 PM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:



Hi

These days in 2020, with iPad OS, is it possible to replace your laptop with an iPad and use an iPad as your main computing device? Or is a windows laptop still necessary? With mouse support in the latest iPad OS I would think replacing a laptop with an iPad is becoming easier all the time. So have any of you got rid of desktops and laptops running windows and just use your iPhone or iPad as your main computing device?

 

Josh

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

-- 
Thanks for your time in advance.
😎
Later
A.Mac
[all out going mail is scanned by Avira]


David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...>
 

Starting with iOS 13 this is now possible as iOS now allows users to download files from Safari into a downloads folder on the device. This is true for some apps but not others. As an example, apps such as Bard Mobile, Learning Ally or Audible allow for the downloading of content but that content is not stored as separate files in the downloads folder but is instead downloaded and used with the app itself. Therefore, with those particular apps this means that if you delete the app you also delete the files that you use with that app.

David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org
On 5/30/2020 11:15 PM, A.Mac via groups.io wrote:

hi, can you download  from a third party on a i-pad. i.e a film or a book from a e-mail group.


On 30/05/2020 09:57, David Goldfield wrote:

I have a different view on this topic. For some sighted users an iPad may, under certain conditions, be a good replacement for a Windows laptop, particularly if you use it with a keyboard. You can use Office as well as the iWork suite, browse the Web, check your email and have a system that's portable, very fast and extremely secure. However, while VoiceOver is great using it on a touch screen its performance with a keyboard is just barely adequate compared to using a Windows screen reader, particularly JAWS. Its Web navigation capabilities using a keyboard are very poor, speech sometimes reads incorrectly while navigating a document I'm trying to edit and there just aren't enough keyboard commands to provide certain types of information that I can easily access with JAWS. If an iPad with a keyboard and VoiceOver offered me the same level of accessibility as I am used to with JAWS or NVDA I'd definitely consider using an iPad as a secondary computer. As an example, there are so many options to configure how JAWS works with Microsoft Word which just are not going to be available with VoiceOver on an iPad. However, this is just not available at this time. In addition, I also use Leasey, a third party tool that runs alongside of JAWS to provide even more productivity and VoiceOver just doesn't offer such an option. If you want to invest in an iPad feel free to do so. I think it's a great tablet with very nice touch screen accessibility and adequate accessibility if you want to type a quick email. However, don't throw away that laptop because, if you're even somewhat accustomed to using Windows, I think you will find the iPad to be frustrating and very disappointing.


David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org
On 5/30/2020 4:38 AM, Victor wrote:
Hi Josh:

I don’t own an iPad Pro, but I plan to get one soon and use it as my laptop replacement. I currently own an iPad mini 2 and I have used an iPad Pro before. In my opinion, there is no reason why the iPad cannot replace the traditional laptop. With the right apps, the iPad can perform all common computer tasks and most heavy duty tasks. Even the most advanced ones.

If you would like to know more, look up a website called the tech juggernaut. On that website, there is information about using the iPad as an alternative to the traditional laptop. Plus, there are many YouTube videos about this.

HTH,

Victor


On May 29, 2020, at 2:38 PM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:



Hi

These days in 2020, with iPad OS, is it possible to replace your laptop with an iPad and use an iPad as your main computing device? Or is a windows laptop still necessary? With mouse support in the latest iPad OS I would think replacing a laptop with an iPad is becoming easier all the time. So have any of you got rid of desktops and laptops running windows and just use your iPhone or iPad as your main computing device?

 

Josh

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

-- 
Thanks for your time in advance.
😎
Later
A.Mac
[all out going mail is scanned by Avira]


Victor
 

The ability to download files to a folder on your device using Safari is a major improvement that iOS users have been waiting for a long time. Hopefully iOS 14 will bring other major improvements.

Victor


On May 31, 2020, at 12:45 AM, David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...> wrote:



Starting with iOS 13 this is now possible as iOS now allows users to download files from Safari into a downloads folder on the device. This is true for some apps but not others. As an example, apps such as Bard Mobile, Learning Ally or Audible allow for the downloading of content but that content is not stored as separate files in the downloads folder but is instead downloaded and used with the app itself. Therefore, with those particular apps this means that if you delete the app you also delete the files that you use with that app.

David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org
On 5/30/2020 11:15 PM, A.Mac via groups.io wrote:

hi, can you download  from a third party on a i-pad. i.e a film or a book from a e-mail group.


On 30/05/2020 09:57, David Goldfield wrote:

I have a different view on this topic. For some sighted users an iPad may, under certain conditions, be a good replacement for a Windows laptop, particularly if you use it with a keyboard. You can use Office as well as the iWork suite, browse the Web, check your email and have a system that's portable, very fast and extremely secure. However, while VoiceOver is great using it on a touch screen its performance with a keyboard is just barely adequate compared to using a Windows screen reader, particularly JAWS. Its Web navigation capabilities using a keyboard are very poor, speech sometimes reads incorrectly while navigating a document I'm trying to edit and there just aren't enough keyboard commands to provide certain types of information that I can easily access with JAWS. If an iPad with a keyboard and VoiceOver offered me the same level of accessibility as I am used to with JAWS or NVDA I'd definitely consider using an iPad as a secondary computer. As an example, there are so many options to configure how JAWS works with Microsoft Word which just are not going to be available with VoiceOver on an iPad. However, this is just not available at this time. In addition, I also use Leasey, a third party tool that runs alongside of JAWS to provide even more productivity and VoiceOver just doesn't offer such an option. If you want to invest in an iPad feel free to do so. I think it's a great tablet with very nice touch screen accessibility and adequate accessibility if you want to type a quick email. However, don't throw away that laptop because, if you're even somewhat accustomed to using Windows, I think you will find the iPad to be frustrating and very disappointing.


David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org
On 5/30/2020 4:38 AM, Victor wrote:
Hi Josh:

I don’t own an iPad Pro, but I plan to get one soon and use it as my laptop replacement. I currently own an iPad mini 2 and I have used an iPad Pro before. In my opinion, there is no reason why the iPad cannot replace the traditional laptop. With the right apps, the iPad can perform all common computer tasks and most heavy duty tasks. Even the most advanced ones.

If you would like to know more, look up a website called the tech juggernaut. On that website, there is information about using the iPad as an alternative to the traditional laptop. Plus, there are many YouTube videos about this.

HTH,

Victor


On May 29, 2020, at 2:38 PM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:



Hi

These days in 2020, with iPad OS, is it possible to replace your laptop with an iPad and use an iPad as your main computing device? Or is a windows laptop still necessary? With mouse support in the latest iPad OS I would think replacing a laptop with an iPad is becoming easier all the time. So have any of you got rid of desktops and laptops running windows and just use your iPhone or iPad as your main computing device?

 

Josh

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

-- 
Thanks for your time in advance.
😎
Later
A.Mac
[all out going mail is scanned by Avira]


Lenron
 

For me nope. I Do and love doing way to much from my computers. So
many things you can't really do with ease from a mobile operating
system.

On 5/31/20, Victor <victorelawrence@gmail.com> wrote:
The ability to download files to a folder on your device using Safari is a
major improvement that iOS users have been waiting for a long time.
Hopefully iOS 14 will bring other major improvements.

Victor
On May 31, 2020, at 12:45 AM, David Goldfield
<david.goldfield@outlook.com> wrote:


Starting with iOS 13 this is now possible as iOS now allows users to
download files from Safari into a downloads folder on the device. This is
true for some apps but not others. As an example, apps such as Bard
Mobile, Learning Ally or Audible allow for the downloading of content but
that content is not stored as separate files in the downloads folder but
is instead downloaded and used with the app itself. Therefore, with those
particular apps this means that if you delete the app you also delete the
files that you use with that app.

David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org
On 5/30/2020 11:15 PM, A.Mac via groups.io wrote:
hi, can you download from a third party on a i-pad. i.e a film or a book
from a e-mail group.



On 30/05/2020 09:57, David Goldfield wrote:
I have a different view on this topic. For some sighted users an iPad
may, under certain conditions, be a good replacement for a Windows
laptop, particularly if you use it with a keyboard. You can use Office
as well as the iWork suite, browse the Web, check your email and have a
system that's portable, very fast and extremely secure. However, while
VoiceOver is great using it on a touch screen its performance with a
keyboard is just barely adequate compared to using a Windows screen
reader, particularly JAWS. Its Web navigation capabilities using a
keyboard are very poor, speech sometimes reads incorrectly while
navigating a document I'm trying to edit and there just aren't enough
keyboard commands to provide certain types of information that I can
easily access with JAWS. If an iPad with a keyboard and VoiceOver
offered me the same level of accessibility as I am used to with JAWS or
NVDA I'd definitely consider using an iPad as a secondary computer. As
an example, there are so many options to configure how JAWS works with
Microsoft Word which just are not going to be available with VoiceOver
on an iPad. However, this is just not available at this time. In
addition, I also use Leasey, a third party tool that runs alongside of
JAWS to provide even more productivity and VoiceOver just doesn't offer
such an option. If you want to invest in an iPad feel free to do so. I
think it's a great tablet with very nice touch screen accessibility and
adequate accessibility if you want to type a quick email. However, don't
throw away that laptop because, if you're even somewhat accustomed to
using Windows, I think you will find the iPad to be frustrating and very
disappointing.



David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org
On 5/30/2020 4:38 AM, Victor wrote:
Hi Josh:

I don’t own an iPad Pro, but I plan to get one soon and use it as my
laptop replacement. I currently own an iPad mini 2 and I have used an
iPad Pro before. In my opinion, there is no reason why the iPad cannot
replace the traditional laptop. With the right apps, the iPad can
perform all common computer tasks and most heavy duty tasks. Even the
most advanced ones.

If you would like to know more, look up a website called the tech
juggernaut. On that website, there is information about using the iPad
as an alternative to the traditional laptop. Plus, there are many
YouTube videos about this.

HTH,

Victor


On May 29, 2020, at 2:38 PM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com>
wrote:


Hi

These days in 2020, with iPad OS, is it possible to replace your
laptop with an iPad and use an iPad as your main computing device? Or
is a windows laptop still necessary? With mouse support in the latest
iPad OS I would think replacing a laptop with an iPad is becoming
easier all the time. So have any of you got rid of desktops and
laptops running windows and just use your iPhone or iPad as your main
computing device?



Josh





Sent from Mail for Windows 10


--
Thanks for your time in advance.
😎
Later
A.Mac
[all out going mail is scanned by Avira]


--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762


Victor
 

It definitely helps to have the right keyboard to go with your mobile device. I am blessed to have the focus 40 braille display which allows me to do everything plus read everything in braille. It’s nice to have.

I have read posts from at least a few blind people who use their iPhone or android phone as their primary computing device. They seem to be happy with their mobile device and a Bluetooth keyboard to go with it.

I want spoke with a woman who trains the blind people to use mobile devices and computers. In her opinion, the eye Pad is a more flexible computer than the Mac. It surprised me to hear someone in her position say that. But again, everyone’s personal experience and personal preference is different. The wide range of experiences and preferences surprise me sometimes.
Victor

On May 31, 2020, at 1:06 AM, Lenron <lenron93@gmail.com> wrote:

For me nope. I Do and love doing way to much from my computers. So
many things you can't really do with ease from a mobile operating
system.

On 5/31/20, Victor <victorelawrence@gmail.com> wrote:
The ability to download files to a folder on your device using Safari is a
major improvement that iOS users have been waiting for a long time.
Hopefully iOS 14 will bring other major improvements.

Victor
On May 31, 2020, at 12:45 AM, David Goldfield
<david.goldfield@outlook.com> wrote:


Starting with iOS 13 this is now possible as iOS now allows users to
download files from Safari into a downloads folder on the device. This is
true for some apps but not others. As an example, apps such as Bard
Mobile, Learning Ally or Audible allow for the downloading of content but
that content is not stored as separate files in the downloads folder but
is instead downloaded and used with the app itself. Therefore, with those
particular apps this means that if you delete the app you also delete the
files that you use with that app.

David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org
On 5/30/2020 11:15 PM, A.Mac via groups.io wrote:
hi, can you download from a third party on a i-pad. i.e a film or a book
from a e-mail group.



On 30/05/2020 09:57, David Goldfield wrote:
I have a different view on this topic. For some sighted users an iPad
may, under certain conditions, be a good replacement for a Windows
laptop, particularly if you use it with a keyboard. You can use Office
as well as the iWork suite, browse the Web, check your email and have a
system that's portable, very fast and extremely secure. However, while
VoiceOver is great using it on a touch screen its performance with a
keyboard is just barely adequate compared to using a Windows screen
reader, particularly JAWS. Its Web navigation capabilities using a
keyboard are very poor, speech sometimes reads incorrectly while
navigating a document I'm trying to edit and there just aren't enough
keyboard commands to provide certain types of information that I can
easily access with JAWS. If an iPad with a keyboard and VoiceOver
offered me the same level of accessibility as I am used to with JAWS or
NVDA I'd definitely consider using an iPad as a secondary computer. As
an example, there are so many options to configure how JAWS works with
Microsoft Word which just are not going to be available with VoiceOver
on an iPad. However, this is just not available at this time. In
addition, I also use Leasey, a third party tool that runs alongside of
JAWS to provide even more productivity and VoiceOver just doesn't offer
such an option. If you want to invest in an iPad feel free to do so. I
think it's a great tablet with very nice touch screen accessibility and
adequate accessibility if you want to type a quick email. However, don't
throw away that laptop because, if you're even somewhat accustomed to
using Windows, I think you will find the iPad to be frustrating and very
disappointing.



David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org
On 5/30/2020 4:38 AM, Victor wrote:
Hi Josh:

I don’t own an iPad Pro, but I plan to get one soon and use it as my
laptop replacement. I currently own an iPad mini 2 and I have used an
iPad Pro before. In my opinion, there is no reason why the iPad cannot
replace the traditional laptop. With the right apps, the iPad can
perform all common computer tasks and most heavy duty tasks. Even the
most advanced ones.

If you would like to know more, look up a website called the tech
juggernaut. On that website, there is information about using the iPad
as an alternative to the traditional laptop. Plus, there are many
YouTube videos about this.

HTH,

Victor


On May 29, 2020, at 2:38 PM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com>
wrote:


Hi

These days in 2020, with iPad OS, is it possible to replace your
laptop with an iPad and use an iPad as your main computing device? Or
is a windows laptop still necessary? With mouse support in the latest
iPad OS I would think replacing a laptop with an iPad is becoming
easier all the time. So have any of you got rid of desktops and
laptops running windows and just use your iPhone or iPad as your main
computing device?



Josh





Sent from Mail for Windows 10


--
Thanks for your time in advance.
😎
Later
A.Mac
[all out going mail is scanned by Avira]



--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762



A.Mac
 

tanks for that.

On 31/05/2020 08:45, David Goldfield wrote:

Starting with iOS 13 this is now possible as iOS now allows users to download files from Safari into a downloads folder on the device. This is true for some apps but not others. As an example, apps such as Bard Mobile, Learning Ally or Audible allow for the downloading of content but that content is not stored as separate files in the downloads folder but is instead downloaded and used with the app itself. Therefore, with those particular apps this means that if you delete the app you also delete the files that you use with that app.

David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org
On 5/30/2020 11:15 PM, A.Mac via groups.io wrote:

hi, can you download  from a third party on a i-pad. i.e a film or a book from a e-mail group.


On 30/05/2020 09:57, David Goldfield wrote:

I have a different view on this topic. For some sighted users an iPad may, under certain conditions, be a good replacement for a Windows laptop, particularly if you use it with a keyboard. You can use Office as well as the iWork suite, browse the Web, check your email and have a system that's portable, very fast and extremely secure. However, while VoiceOver is great using it on a touch screen its performance with a keyboard is just barely adequate compared to using a Windows screen reader, particularly JAWS. Its Web navigation capabilities using a keyboard are very poor, speech sometimes reads incorrectly while navigating a document I'm trying to edit and there just aren't enough keyboard commands to provide certain types of information that I can easily access with JAWS. If an iPad with a keyboard and VoiceOver offered me the same level of accessibility as I am used to with JAWS or NVDA I'd definitely consider using an iPad as a secondary computer. As an example, there are so many options to configure how JAWS works with Microsoft Word which just are not going to be available with VoiceOver on an iPad. However, this is just not available at this time. In addition, I also use Leasey, a third party tool that runs alongside of JAWS to provide even more productivity and VoiceOver just doesn't offer such an option. If you want to invest in an iPad feel free to do so. I think it's a great tablet with very nice touch screen accessibility and adequate accessibility if you want to type a quick email. However, don't throw away that laptop because, if you're even somewhat accustomed to using Windows, I think you will find the iPad to be frustrating and very disappointing.


David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org
On 5/30/2020 4:38 AM, Victor wrote:
Hi Josh:

I don’t own an iPad Pro, but I plan to get one soon and use it as my laptop replacement. I currently own an iPad mini 2 and I have used an iPad Pro before. In my opinion, there is no reason why the iPad cannot replace the traditional laptop. With the right apps, the iPad can perform all common computer tasks and most heavy duty tasks. Even the most advanced ones.

If you would like to know more, look up a website called the tech juggernaut. On that website, there is information about using the iPad as an alternative to the traditional laptop. Plus, there are many YouTube videos about this.

HTH,

Victor


On May 29, 2020, at 2:38 PM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:



Hi

These days in 2020, with iPad OS, is it possible to replace your laptop with an iPad and use an iPad as your main computing device? Or is a windows laptop still necessary? With mouse support in the latest iPad OS I would think replacing a laptop with an iPad is becoming easier all the time. So have any of you got rid of desktops and laptops running windows and just use your iPhone or iPad as your main computing device?

 

Josh

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

-- 
Thanks for your time in advance.
😎
Later
A.Mac
[all out going mail is scanned by Avira]
-- 
Thanks for your time in advance.
😎
Later
A.Mac
[all out going mail is scanned by Avira]


Jan Howells <janhowells54@...>
 

Hi Victor,

My brother has sent me one of his Mac Book Pro's from 2011. It is still in good shape. I am taking lessons on Zoom.

Jan


Victor
 

Hi jan:

The Mac that was loaned to me is from 2013 and it is still in good shape. I have heard people say that they last a long time.Max have been known to last at least 10 years. Some PCs do as well, but Windows laptops seem to only last about 5 years at the most.

Some blind people have trouble getting used to the different way the Mac works and some don't like the VoiceOver keyboard commands, but that didn't bother me at all. Nor did learning the Mac operating system. I've used Linux too, but I prefer the Mac as I find it to be more intuitive, accessible and user-friendly.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy using that MacBook.

Victor

On May 31, 2020, at 3:34 AM, Jan Howells <janhowells54@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Victor,

My brother has sent me one of his Mac Book Pro's from 2011. It is still in good shape. I am taking lessons on Zoom.

Jan



Jan Howells <janhowells54@...>
 

Hi Victor,

I gather that I have an advantath, because I never used Windows. This is my first experience outside of Braille Notetakers with internet. I like the fact that the hard drive is larger on the Pro. This is a very durable computer. It is a desktop. But I use it on my lap, as for me, it is not too heavy. My brother has taken good care of it. He is a musician, so it was used in his music studio. But he erased all of his work and cleared the hard drive for me. It has Majave. I like the Voice Over.

Jan


Victor
 

Hi Jan:

I've been using Apple products off and on since 1982. The Apple 2 E desktop computer was the first computer I ever used and I took to it immediately. I've never owned a notetaker.

Macs seem to come in all shapes and sizes. The one I use is an all-in-one desktop with a bluetooth keyboard and a bluetooth mouse. I enjoy it a lot. I'm glad you're enjoying yours.

Victor

On May 31, 2020, at 4:17 AM, Jan Howells <janhowells54@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Victor,

I gather that I have an advantath, because I never used Windows. This is my first experience outside of Braille Notetakers with internet. I like the fact that the hard drive is larger on the Pro. This is a very durable computer. It is a desktop. But I use it on my lap, as for me, it is not too heavy. My brother has taken good care of it. He is a musician, so it was used in his music studio. But he erased all of his work and cleared the hard drive for me. It has Majave. I like the Voice Over.

Jan



chris judge
 

I’m sure you’ll get a lot of different answers to this question. Sure many people are using iPads as they’re primary device. I guess it just depends on your use case.

 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy
Sent: May 29, 2020 6:38 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] replace laptop with an iPad?

 

Hi

These days in 2020, with iPad OS, is it possible to replace your laptop with an iPad and use an iPad as your main computing device? Or is a windows laptop still necessary? With mouse support in the latest iPad OS I would think replacing a laptop with an iPad is becoming easier all the time. So have any of you got rid of desktops and laptops running windows and just use your iPhone or iPad as your main computing device?

 

Josh

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


Jan Howells <janhowells54@...>
 

Hi Victor,

Mine has the keyboard built right into it as one piece. I like the fact that the voice is built right into the unit so that I do not need a separate pice of vuccce software. I have my second lesson on Tuesday, Voiceover Basics. I am glad that you are comfortable with your units.

Jan