Topics

An Old Program

Howard Traxler

Hi anyone,
Years ago, I had a program that made a text (.txt) file containing a list of the files in a given folder and put the text file in that folder.  Wonder if anyone has that  little utility and could tell me where to get it and how to use it?  Appreciate it.  Thanks.

Howard

Thom Spittle

Copy the following into notepad and save it as list.txt
Rename the file to list.bat
Put a copy of it in the directory you want to list.
Launch the list.bat file and it will create a list.txt file with your
list of files.

Enjoy,
Thom

@echo off
dir/b/o/s/-c > list.txt

On 6/5/20, Howard Traxler <htraxler7@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi anyone,
Years ago, I had a program that made a text (.txt) file containing a
list of the files in a given folder and put the text file in that
folder.  Wonder if anyone has that  little utility and could tell me
where to get it and how to use it?  Appreciate it.  Thanks.

Howard

Ron Canazzi

Hi Howard,

There is a Windows version of such a program that is far superior to the old DOS based program or perhaps Windows 98 program you are referring to.  It is free and is called Path Copy and it's address is
https://pathcopycopy.github.io/
This program runs from the context menu and you can do a number of things with it. It copies long name, short name, long path, short path. It can copy the exact file names of all the files in a folder to clipboard and you can then paste the list into a text editor and save it anywhere you want.

This is what I use to make text delimited databases for all my music/movies/books.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Richard

Hi Howard,
Try searching for Dirlist

HTH,
Rick

Years ago, I had a program that made a text (.txt) file containing a
list of the files in a given folder and put the text file in that
folder. Wonder if anyone has that little utility and could tell me
where to get it and how to use it? Appreciate it. Thanks.

Howard

Howard Traxler

Thanks Ron, but it looks pretty complicated to me.  I downloaded it and it contains hundreds of files that I don't understand.  Looks like source code in the C language.  The install program doesn't even seem to be an executable.  Do I need a C compiler to put it together?  I just don't know where to start.  It seems like, in the old days, this chore was done with a simple one-line batch file.  I sure am behind in this stuff.

Howard

On 6/5/2020 4:31 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

john s

Howard, no, you use your context key. Navigate to a directory and hit your context key and look for the pathcopy pulldown.

At 08:19 PM 6/5/2020, Howard Traxler, wrote:
[...]

But it seems like it should be installed before it can be used.  I unzipped the archive and looked at the folder it created.  In there was a subfolder called installer but the only file in the installer subfolder had an .iss extention; not executable.  Dont know how to install.

Howard

On 6/6/2020 5:28 AM, john s wrote:
[...]

Well, I've read a little more and it looks like it's a file explorer add-on and I'll have to install it into file explorer.  So far, can't figure out how.

Howard

On 6/6/2020 5:28 AM, john s wrote:
[...]

Mike B

Hi Howard,

It probably was a, .msi , file which you press enter on just like you would an, .EXE , file.  I don't know what the installation differences are between how they install, but I've used the, .MSI , files many times without any problems.  When you download Adobe Reader DC the installer is a, .MSI , installer, as an example.

Sent: Saturday, June 06, 2020 11:26 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] An Old Program

On 6/6/2020 5:28 AM, john s wrote:
> Howard, no, you use your context key. Navigate to a directory and hit
> your context key and look for the pathcopy pulldown.
>
> At 08:19 PM 6/5/2020, Howard Traxler, wrote:
>> Thanks Ron, but it looks pretty complicated to me. I downloaded it
>> and it contains hundreds of files that I don't understand. Looks
>> like source code in the C language. The install program doesn't
>> even seem to be an executable. Do I need a C compiler to put it
>> together? I just don't know where to start. It seems like, in the
>> old days, this chore was done with a simple one-line batch file. I
>> sure am behind in this stuff.
>>
>> Howard
>>

>> On 6/5/2020 4:31 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
>>> Hi Howard,
>>>
>>> There is a Windows version of such a program that is far superior to
>>> the old DOS based program or perhaps Windows 98 program you are
>>> referring to. It is free and is called Path Copy and it's address is
>>> https://pathcopycopy.github.io/
>>> This program runs from the context menu and you can do a number of
>>> things with it. It copies long name, short name, long path, short
>>> path. It can copy the exact file names of all the files in a folder
>>> to clipboard and you can then paste the list into a text editor and
>>> save it anywhere you want.
>>>
>>> This is what I use to make text delimited databases for all my
>>> music/movies/books.

> John

Howard Traxler

Thanks Mike, but this one is called Setup.iss..  When I press enter on it, it opens an "open with" box and I don't have a clue what to choose.  Maybe I'll try notepad and just see what's in there.

By the way, I have one of those MSI installer programs (NetLogger) that I want to put on my XP machine, but it says my installer service it too old.  Maybe I'll have to find a NetLogger installer that's an .exe file.

Howard

Sent: Saturday, June 06, 2020 11:26 AM

On 6/6/2020 5:28 AM, john s wrote:
> Howard, no, you use your context key. Navigate to a directory and hit
> your context key and look for the pathcopy pulldown.
>
> At 08:19 PM 6/5/2020, Howard Traxler, wrote:
>> Thanks Ron, but it looks pretty complicated to me. I downloaded it
>> and it contains hundreds of files that I don't understand. Looks
>> like source code in the C language. The install program doesn't
>> even seem to be an executable. Do I need a C compiler to put it
>> together? I just don't know where to start. It seems like, in the
>> old days, this chore was done with a simple one-line batch file. I
>> sure am behind in this stuff.
>>
>> Howard
>>

>> On 6/5/2020 4:31 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
>>> Hi Howard,
>>>
>>> There is a Windows version of such a program that is far superior to
>>> the old DOS based program or perhaps Windows 98 program you are
>>> referring to. It is free and is called Path Copy and it's address is
>>> https://pathcopycopy.github.io/
>>> This program runs from the context menu and you can do a number of
>>> things with it. It copies long name, short name, long path, short
>>> path. It can copy the exact file names of all the files in a folder
>>> to clipboard and you can then paste the list into a text editor and
>>> save it anywhere you want.
>>>
>>> This is what I use to make text delimited databases for all my
>>> music/movies/books.

> John

Mike B

You just press enter on the installation file and it'll install where it's supposed to install on its own.

Sent: Saturday, June 06, 2020 12:24 PM

On 6/6/2020 5:28 AM, john s wrote:
> Howard, no, you use your context key. Navigate to a directory and hit
> your context key and look for the pathcopy pulldown.
>
> At 08:19 PM 6/5/2020, Howard Traxler, wrote:
>> Thanks Ron, but it looks pretty complicated to me. I downloaded it
>> and it contains hundreds of files that I don't understand. Looks
>> like source code in the C language. The install program doesn't
>> even seem to be an executable. Do I need a C compiler to put it
>> together? I just don't know where to start. It seems like, in the
>> old days, this chore was done with a simple one-line batch file. I
>> sure am behind in this stuff.
>>
>> Howard
>>

>> On 6/5/2020 4:31 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
>>> Hi Howard,
>>>
>>> There is a Windows version of such a program that is far superior to
>>> the old DOS based program or perhaps Windows 98 program you are
>>> referring to. It is free and is called Path Copy and it's address is
>>> https://pathcopycopy.github.io/
>>> This program runs from the context menu and you can do a number of
>>> things with it. It copies long name, short name, long path, short
>>> path. It can copy the exact file names of all the files in a folder
>>> to clipboard and you can then paste the list into a text editor and
>>> save it anywhere you want.
>>>
>>> This is what I use to make text delimited databases for all my
>>> music/movies/books.

> John

Howard Traxler

But the problem is:  it's not an MSI or an exe file.  It's an ISS file.  I opened it with notepad and it looks to be a program code file calling itself
Inno Setup script
.
So I need to google some part of Inno Setup script to find out how to execute it.  I don't know what Inno is but maybe google will tell me.

Sent: Saturday, June 06, 2020 12:24 PM

On 6/6/2020 5:28 AM, john s wrote:
> Howard, no, you use your context key. Navigate to a directory and hit
> your context key and look for the pathcopy pulldown.
>
> At 08:19 PM 6/5/2020, Howard Traxler, wrote:
>> Thanks Ron, but it looks pretty complicated to me. I downloaded it
>> and it contains hundreds of files that I don't understand. Looks
>> like source code in the C language. The install program doesn't
>> even seem to be an executable. Do I need a C compiler to put it
>> together? I just don't know where to start. It seems like, in the
>> old days, this chore was done with a simple one-line batch file. I
>> sure am behind in this stuff.
>>
>> Howard
>>

>> On 6/5/2020 4:31 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
>>> Hi Howard,
>>>
>>> There is a Windows version of such a program that is far superior to
>>> the old DOS based program or perhaps Windows 98 program you are
>>> referring to. It is free and is called Path Copy and it's address is
>>> https://pathcopycopy.github.io/
>>> This program runs from the context menu and you can do a number of
>>> things with it. It copies long name, short name, long path, short
>>> path. It can copy the exact file names of all the files in a folder
>>> to clipboard and you can then paste the list into a text editor and
>>> save it anywhere you want.
>>>
>>> This is what I use to make text delimited databases for all my
>>> music/movies/books.

> John

Ron Canazzi

Hi Howard,

I sent you a zipped up executable off list with a exe extension.  I am wondering if your anti virus is squashing everything.  Path Copy is a simple file explorer extension that is quite accessible and very useful.

Sent: Saturday, June 06, 2020 12:24 PM

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

George McCoy

That .iss file is an Inno setup script.  It requires the Inno setup compiler to create the .exe installer.

I use that compiler all the time.  I'll download the zipped archive and see what I can do.

George

On 6/6/2020 5:28 AM, john s wrote:
[...]

Howard,

go to the github site.  Find and click the latest release link. There's a link on that page called pathcopycopy18.0.exe and hes, the word copy is in it twice.  That's the installer you need.

Good luck,

On 6/6/2020 5:28 AM, john s wrote:
[...]

Thanks George.  I managed to find and download it.  But this DIRLIST program is working quite well for me.

Howard

On 6/6/2020 5:28 AM, john s wrote:
[...]

Gene

I haven't looked much at the page but there is a portable version which, if it is a typical portable version requires no installation. Therefore, you should see an exe file in the main folder that will run it.

If you still have problems, I modified something, I don't recall what, it was years ago, to allow me to place the file in the folder I want to generate the list for, and have the list appear in the same folder where the files are.