Topics

KNFB Reader

Carrie Morales

Hi Everyone,

What happened to KNFB reader? Ever since android 10, it hasn’t been working and I’m not even sure it’s working on the iphone side. I also have other OCR readers, but I liked the way it compiled documents….

Thanks all,

Carrie Morales

Website: LiveAccessible.Com

YouTube: Live Accessible

Instagram: @LiveAccessible

Twitter: @LiveAccessible

Email: carrie@...

*Picture Description: Text reads Live accessible: blindness or Low Vision does not define or limit you on a blue background

Sis Carrie, for all intense purposes, the KNFB Reader is MORIBUND ON THE
VINE in Androidville! It HAS NOT BEEN UPDATED in over a trillion weeks and
there probably won't be any such update in the foreseeable future.

As you rightly said, others fill KNFB Reader's vacated space. Have you give
Speak a trial run?

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Carrie Morales

Haha. Okay, I thought so... but I was hoping I was missing something. Yes, I
have tried Speak. And Envision AI. Are there any others to try?

Sis Carrie, for all intense purposes, the KNFB Reader is MORIBUND ON THE
VINE in Androidville! It HAS NOT BEEN UPDATED in over a trillion weeks and
there probably won't be any such update in the foreseeable future.

As you rightly said, others fill KNFB Reader's vacated space. Have you give
Speak a trial run?

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Seeing AI by Microsoft is a good app and that they have a short text channel and a document channel as well as several other channels for identifying things.

Ashley Breger

Sis Carrie wrote:

"Haha. Okay, I thought so... but I was hoping I was missing something. Yes,
I have tried Speak. And Envision AI. Are there any others to try?"

Here are two more: Eye-D, it does have a pro version and I think it
requires a subscription if memory serves.

The second is SuperSense; this was free for some time, but now they are
slowly introducing the subscription module.

Sorry sis, there's one more: Microsoft Office Lens?

I have tried some of these with very little lucky success; my spatial
orientation does need some work and, I just cquired a new toy with enough
storage space so I can go back to the exploration desk in Androidville.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Holly

Ashley:

I think Seeing AI is only available for Apple iOS, unless things have changed lately.

Victor

Voice Dream Scanner is good too.

I was given my iPhone by a local charity and they bought KNFB Reader for me. I'm glad I didn't buy it because it was so Expensive. Since they are no longer updating that app, I would have been upset at the waste of money.

Prismo is another good app and I think it costs around $13. I’m pretty sure Prismo and Voice Dream scanner are both available to android as well as iOS.

Victor

On Jun 12, 2020, at 1:16 PM, Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. <ukekearuaro@...> wrote:

Sis Carrie wrote:

"Haha. Okay, I thought so... but I was hoping I was missing something. Yes,
I have tried Speak. And Envision AI. Are there any others to try?"

Here are two more: Eye-D, it does have a pro version and I think it
requires a subscription if memory serves.

The second is SuperSense; this was free for some time, but now they are
slowly introducing the subscription module.

Sorry sis, there's one more: Microsoft Office Lens?

I have tried some of these with very little lucky success; my spatial
orientation does need some work and, I just cquired a new toy with enough
storage space so I can go back to the exploration desk in Androidville.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Monte Single

Maybe someone is still using it.It was only tenor twelve rears ago when the knfb reader on a special nokia phone was about 3 thousand dollars.

Sis Carrie wrote:

"Haha. Okay, I thought so... but I was hoping I was missing something.
Yes, I have tried Speak. And Envision AI. Are there any others to try?"

Here are two more: Eye-D, it does have a pro version and I think it
requires a subscription if memory serves.

The second is SuperSense; this was free for some time, but now they
are slowly introducing the subscription module.

Sorry sis, there's one more: Microsoft Office Lens?

I have tried some of these with very little lucky success; my spatial
orientation does need some work and, I just cquired a new toy with
enough storage space so I can go back to the exploration desk in Androidville.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Dana Leet

That really is disheartening, after I spent quite a bit of money on KNFB Reader that they’re not even updating it. But I like Voice Dream scanner a lot better anyways so I think the character recognition is much more accurate.

If you love fragrances, I have a wonderful WhatsApp group for fragrance lovers. If you love to read Christian fiction, I have a wonderful WhatsApp group for Christian fiction lovers and we read books together every two weeks. If you are a Christian woman and want to find other Christian women to fellowship and pray with you I have an awesome WhatsApp group for that purpose as well. Please email me if you’re interested in any of these awesome ways to connect and get to know awesome people.

Sis Carrie wrote:

"Haha. Okay, I thought so... but I was hoping I was missing something.
Yes, I have tried Speak. And Envision AI. Are there any others to try?"

Here are two more: Eye-D, it does have a pro version and I think it
requires a subscription if memory serves.

The second is SuperSense; this was free for some time, but now they
are slowly introducing the subscription module.

Sorry sis, there's one more: Microsoft Office Lens?

I have tried some of these with very little lucky success; my spatial
orientation does need some work and, I just cquired a new toy with
enough storage space so I can go back to the exploration desk in Androidville.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Hi Victor:

Voice Dream Scanner finally got ported to Androidville; cost, $5.99! If
it's too pricey, it probably won't fly the kite too high 'cause there are so
many choices that are relatively cheaper or perhaps even free.

Prismo in Androidville? No chance, at least for now. At $13.00, it could
be a tough hill climb for its developers.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Dana, NFB favors iOS over anything Android! It doesn't believe that Android
is accessible and usable by the blind. Even its newsline has no LINE IN THE
SAND in Androidville. Fortunately, blind Android enthusiasts don't care;
why? We have far too many news agregators to pick and choose from, so,
we're not missing the NFB Newsline at all!

The only reason why the KNFB Reader saw some light in Androidville was
because, some time back, Google subsidised it to the tune of $1 million!
Because of what Google did, Androideans got the KNFB Reader app for $19.99!
Without mincing words, it's the best $20 I ever wasted on any app.

If the KNFB Reader is NO LONGER being actively developed for iOS, that's
truly sad! Thankfully, other iOS apps are filling in the niche nicely.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Gene

I don't know where you get your information about what NNFB believes about Android but it sounds like pure nonsense. If you are saying that Newsline doesn't have an Android App, that may be, I haven't checked. But I am very skeptical that your characterization about NFB and Android is remotely accurate.
I have seen all sorts of nonsense about NFB over the years. I am not a member, but I was years ago and I have never seen a propensity to adopt extreme positions such as that, especially when a lot of its members surely use Android.

A brief Google search for NFB Android yields these, among its results:
Introducing Our New and Improved NFB Films App for Android - NFB ...
KNFB Reader | National Federation of the BlindDeveloped by the National Federation of the Blind and Sensotec NV, KNFB Reader is currently available for iOS, Android, and Windows 10 devices.
And When NFB discusses Newsline for Android, it mentions android as in the following quote from a web page:
Simply point your smartphone's browser to NFBNewslineOnline.org and access your favorite content using Talkback for Android or VoiceOver for iOS.

If you see something about NFB that sounds ridiculous, be suspicious and skeptical.

[...]

lynn white

ver heard anything that NFB has stopped production.  Maybe there's no further development to make with it.  Also, they may have let the SeeingAI group pick up the slack.

On 6/13/2020 5:35 PM, Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. wrote:
[...]

When I received KNFB reader, the price was $100! That’s outrageous compared to what voice dream scanner and Prismo cost! Maybe they just gave up on developing the app because they know that these other apps are cheaper and just as good. I think KNFB reader was probably the most expensive app in the iOS App Store! There’s no way that I would pay $100 for any app. In my opinion, an app that expensive better be able to make me travel through time and perform amazing miracles! LOL

Victor

On Jun 13, 2020, at 8:40 PM, lynn white <lynnwhite360@...> wrote:

[...]

Sharon S

Hi, I still have my N82 around here for whenever I want to use KNFB reader. Even though it is old tech it still does what I need it to do.

I am starting to use some other apps on my android device. It is just a matter of getting use to them where I can snap a picture with the N82 quickly and correctly.

From Shaz.
Canberra, Australia.

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

I have an n82 I was given, also. But as far as snapping a picture quickly and correctly, I have to do it several times to get anything good out of it, unless I am lucky. Pam.

Hi, I still have my N82 around here for whenever I want to use KNFB reader. Even though it is old tech it still does what I need it to do.

I am starting to use some other apps on my android device. It is just a matter of getting use to them where I can snap a picture with the N82 quickly and correctly.

From Shaz.
Canberra, Australia.