Topics

Firefox and nlsbard..?

Jim Wohlgamuth

Hi There FOLKS!
I seem to encounter a problem between Jaws and Firefox.  When I bring Firefox up I get some sort of message saying there is some sort of incompatibility between my screen reading software and Firefox.  I believe it says the problem is that tabs cannot be shown.  First of all, does anyone have any idea as to just what this message actually means? If so, can you tell me how to resolve it if it can be resolved? Hopefully I have given enough info..? If not, just say so and I will try to give more. Much Thanks!
de
<wohlggie@...><KF8LT><Jim Wohlgamuth>.

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Jim, have you tried FF with NVDA? I'd try that.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Jim Wohlgamuth

No, actually I have tried it with narrator and it appears to work a bit better but I will give NVDA a try as well.  Thanks!

On 14-Jun-20 20:24, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

Jim, have you tried FF with NVDA?  I'd try that.

Ann P.

Gene

It means your version of JAWS is too old to be supported by your newer version of Firefox. You will either have to use an old version of Firefox, 52.X or lower, get a newer version of JAWS, or used something else like Chrome.

I seem to encounter a problem between Jaws and Firefox. When I bring Firefox up I get some sort of message saying there is some sort of incompatibility between my screen reading software and Firefox. I believe it says the problem is that tabs cannot be shown. First of all, does anyone have any idea as to just what this message actually means? If so, can you tell me how to resolve it if it can be resolved? Hopefully I have given enough info..? If not, just say so and I will try to give more. Much Thanks!
de
mailto:wohlggie@...<KF8LT><Jim Wohlgamuth>.

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Yep, either change screen readers, browsers or both! You never know what might do the trick. I've been having good luck with Chrome lately, but I got to one site where NVDA just stuck fast and wouldn't read anything, so I switched to SA. This is one of many reasons why one should have at least two screen readers and two browsers on your computer.

Ann P.

<wohlggie@...> <mailto:wohlggie@...><KF8LT><Jim Wohlgamuth>.
On 14-Jun-20 20:24, Ann Parsons wrote:

Hi all,
Jim, have you tried FF with NVDA? I'd try that.
Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Jim Wohlgamuth

Thanks! Since I really cannot afford to upgrade Jaws at this time I will try the other browsers that you suggested.  Again thanks.

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Wohlgamuth
Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2020 5:41 PM
To: TechTalk@groups.io

Hi There FOLKS!
I seem to encounter a problem between Jaws and Firefox.  When I bring Firefox up I get some sort of message saying there is some sort of incompatibility between my screen reading software and Firefox.  I believe it says the problem is that tabs cannot be shown.  First of all, does anyone have any idea as to just what this message actually means? If so, can you tell me how to resolve it if it can be resolved? Hopefully I have given enough info..? If not, just say so and I will try to give more. Much Thanks!
de
mailto:wohlggie@...<KF8LT><Jim Wohlgamuth>.

Gene

While I gave a lower version of Firefox as an option, its not good to use old browsers for general browsing. It would be much better, from a security standpoint, and compatibility with more sites, to try Chrome or a Chrome-based browser.

Another and perhaps better alternative might be to try NVDA. Its free and it will meet the needs of a lot of users. You can use the current Firefox if you want and as time goes by, you won't have to keep paying to upgrade JAWS.