From: Keith S
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 7:13 AM
To: tech talk for the blind
Subject: [TechTalk] Youtube issue

When I attempt to do a search on youtube, I get a "you cannot search youtube due to your computer sending automatic requests.

there is a help link which I looked at and it said somehting about a check box to indicate that I am not a bot.

This box does not appear, nor does a capcha

So, in essence, youtube is dead on my system.

Anyone else seen this crap lately from google?

Skye

Your system should not be sending automatic requests so there could be a virus a browser issue that is sending out information that you are not aware of.  Suggest to clear cookies/cache from your browser.  If you continue to get the error, try a different browser to see if it is your system or the browser or a browser extension.  If it continues with a different browser, then you may want to run a deep virus scan of your system.

Some sites try to use trackers or other ways to collect info from your system but if those are blocked, then the captcha may not trigger even though text that is not blocked still displays indicating the captcha.  This is another way Google and others are trying to circumvent your privacy settings to collect your private info.

To use a search engine to search within a specific website, you should identify the search criteria and the actual domain.  For example, if you want to search for dog training videos on youtube then enter "dog training site:youtube.com" (without the quotes).  The search results should only show matches from youtube.  This approach seems to work for most search engines.

Hope this helps~

Use something like Google to search.  Use syntax like name of what you are searching for, then write youtube and search. For example, Mother-in-law youtube.  Or Mother-in-law name of group, year, however you want to increase the specificity of the search, then youtube.

Gene

-----Original Message----- From: Keith S
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 7:13 AM
To: tech talk for the blind

When I attempt to do a search on youtube, I get a "you cannot search youtube due to your computer sending automatic requests.

there is a help link which I looked at and it said somehting about  a check box to indicate that I am not a bot.

This box does not appear, nor does a capcha

So, in essence, youtube is dead on my system.

Anyone else seen  this crap lately from google?

Gene

If you are dissatisfied with the results of the method I described, your way will give a lot more results from one site. But Google is a consumer product and it is made to try to meet the users needs for the user who knows almost nothing about searching. I almost nevber have to use the method you suggest. I almost always find what I want within the results from Youtube. If I don't, then I'll try your method but I keep things simple and I almost always get the results I want.