Topics

Where O' Where Did My Siri Go?

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

first of all, I was very afraid of the iPhone and although I saw its power, I was very reticent to get one.  Finally I got one and despite all my fears, I was able to master the touch gestures and VoiceOver navigation techniques with relative ease.  Long story short: I almost never use Siri.  I wanted to find out some trivia information earlier today and I pressed the home key and said: 'Hey Siri: What President's last name ends with the letter 'T?'  There was no answer.  I tried it again.  I tried asking simpler questions--still no go.  I turned off VoiceOver. I went to settings/Siri and Search and everything was supposedly enabled.

Maybe she's mad at me for ignoring her for over a year. I joke, but seriously, what could have happened that she doesn't respond at all?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Greg Wocher

Hello,
You probably need to go into Siri’s settings and switch the voice from the American female to either the American male or one of the other English voices. There seems to be a bug right now keeping the American female Siri voice from speaking results. Once you hear the beeps indicating that Siri has heard you, you should be able to find the results on screen using explore by touch.

Greg Wocher

On Jul 4, 2020, at 9:30 AM, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> wrote:

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

Ron, if you press the Home Button, you should hear a ding, then you ask Siri. Otherwise, you need to go to Settings, to Siri, and set Hay Siri. It's not hard to set it. The advantage of Hay Siri, is, say you've fallen, need to call 911, you can say, Hay Siri, call 911, and Siri will. You can say Hay Siri, where'e my iPhone, and Siri will talk, and you can hear the direction of your phone. You can be eating a hot dog and say Hay Siri, what's the temperature, and Siri will tell you, and you don't have to put greasy hands on your phone's screen. You can be finishing eating, and say, Hay Siri, call Yellow Cab, and Siri can do that for you. HTH.

[...]

He needs to go to Settings to Siri and set jup Hay Siri.

[...]

Mike B

Hi Ron,

you have to hold the Home key down until you hear a sound indicator, then ask Siri your query.  Usually you only have to hold the Home key down for a second or 2.

Sent: Saturday, July 04, 2020 6:30 AM

[...]

And, of course, if your phone is 10 or newer, you press the Power Button on the right side of the iPhone.

[...]

Barb O'Connor

Ron, I think everybody’s giving you more information than what you want. I have a feeling it for some reason the volume on your Siri has been turned down. What you need to do is press the home button until you hear the ding, then ask her a question something that will require her to say quite a bit. As soon as you think that she is starting to answer the question, press the volume up until you start hearing her voice and stop when you have it at the level you want.

Hope you will report back and let us know if you got her fixed. If you’re interested in hey Siri, you can go to Siri and search and set it up. You have to say a few things so that she gets used to your voice.

Hope this helps.

Barb

On Jul 4, 2020, at 8:30 AM, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> wrote:

[...]

chris judge

Try switching to another voice. The American English Female voice stopped working for me about a week ago. I switched to the American male voice and all is well. Not sure why.

Chris Judge

[...]

I wonder why the voice would quit working for you?

[...]

Others have experienced this as well.

Chris Judge

[...]

Here's an update.  I figured out what was going on.  It wasn't that things weren't activated under the siri and search section of settings. It was a simple matter of the volume being at 0 for Siri. I didn't ever do this directly, but somehow that's what happened.  I forget who it was that mentioned this might be the case.  Thanks to whoever it was.  I am using the Siri male voice and he sounds a bit softer than the default male voice for VoiceOver, but he's listenable.

On 7/5/2020 10:22 AM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
[...]

That is interesting that the female American English Siri voice stop working for you. It hasn’t completely stopped for me, but it will not work for me when I try to use the activities section and have her read my mail. It works on my iPhone 7 but not on my new SE. I’ve been trying to figure that out for quite some time now. For a while, it would work, then, all of a sudden it would be the default voice reading my mail. I’d have to go back in and reload the voice. It would then last for a little while but stop working again. I finally gave up And deleted the Mail activity. she still does work on my SE for normal question asking. At first I thought there might be a problem because this was only a 64 gig phone, but, I still have plenty a room so I don’t think that’s the problem. I’m not quite sure how to report this to Apple, either.

Barb