Topics

Compress Zip Folder Error Message

Mike B

Hi Sam,

Yes, when I checked this morning I had a feeling the, Temp folder, you had mentioned was the folder you were possibly referring to, so I checked it's file path:  C:\Windows \ temp
Thanks for verifying.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 4:44 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Compress Zip Folder Error Message

Hi Mike,

In case you're interested, typing temp in the run box resolves to c:\windows\temp

whereas typing %temp% resolves to C:\users\YourUserName\appdata\local\temp

This explains the different files you are seeing in these two locations.

On 16/07/2020 9:39 am, Mike B wrote:

Hi Sam,

I've tried in both, %temp%, and if I type just, temp, into the Run dialogue the Temp folder shows up with totally different entries than the, %temp%, folder.  In both of these in properties / Security, the Users are set to, Allow, for full control and modify .  Since nothing else is going wonky I'll just use 7Zip and quit screwing around with it.  Thank you very much for all your help and input.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 3:55 PM

Mike,

the C:\temp was just an example. I wasn't suggesting that you actually had this folder on your system.

However, the compressed zip folders program does use your Windows Temp folder, so, if you have altered permissions for this folder, it's not going to work. Maybe try this:

1. Open File Explorer
2. Type %temp% in the address bar
3. Right click or press shift f10 and choose proprerties.

4. Go to the security tab
5. Click "Edit"
6. If "Users" is not listed, add them
7. Set "Users" to have "Modify" rights
8. Click OK

On 15/07/2020 10:53 pm, Mike B wrote:

Zipping from, C:\temp, if I type that into the Run dialogue I get a message saying.,
Windows cannot find ’C:\temp’. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

I've tried zipping from many different places on the C / operating system drive and everytime getting the same error message as originally posted.

Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 4:38 AM

I'm also still unclear as to whether Mike can zip a file from, say, c:\temp, but not c:\.

On 15/07/2020 9:25 pm, Gene wrote:
I don't think this is a permission problem.  You said in a later message that you can compress files using 7zip.  The same permission problem should have forbidden it.

Also, if you can still add and delete files, I see no permission problem with compressing them.  And when you compress a file, you aren't changing the original.  It makes no sense that you can work with files in general but that the compression of a file would present a permission problem.

This is an example of being skeptical if something doesn't make logical sense. Don't assume that a computer is smarter than you are.  If something contradicts itself, skepticism is in order.  I don't know what the problem is but I wonder if there is something corrupted in the zip utility itself.

Why do you want to reinstall Windows?

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Smiling?
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 4:04 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Maybe System Restore?

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 18:20
To: TechTalk <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Subject: [TechTalk] Compress Zip Folder Error Message

Hi All,

On my Windows 7 Pro system I started getting the following message whenever I try to compress a file with the Windows default compression tool from the context menu.

Compressed (zipped) Folders Error
Unable to complete the operation.
Access is denied.

Can someone tell me how to fix this problem, please?!  I've searched for a solution, but I don't understand exactly what to do with the steps I've found for changing permissions in the Security tab of the file I'm attempting to compress.  All help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

Sam Taylor

Hi Mike,

In case you're interested, typing temp in the run box resolves to c:\windows\temp

whereas typing %temp% resolves to C:\users\YourUserName\appdata\local\temp

This explains the different files you are seeing in these two locations.

On 16/07/2020 9:39 am, Mike B wrote:

Hi Sam,

I've tried in both, %temp%, and if I type just, temp, into the Run dialogue the Temp folder shows up with totally different entries than the, %temp%, folder.  In both of these in properties / Security, the Users are set to, Allow, for full control and modify .  Since nothing else is going wonky I'll just use 7Zip and quit screwing around with it.  Thank you very much for all your help and input.

Mike,

the C:\temp was just an example. I wasn't suggesting that you actually had this folder on your system.

However, the compressed zip folders program does use your Windows Temp folder, so, if you have altered permissions for this folder, it's not going to work. Maybe try this:

1. Open File Explorer

5. Click "Edit"
8. Click OK

Zipping from, C:\temp, if I type that into the Run dialogue I get a message saying.,
Windows cannot find ’C:\temp’. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

I've tried zipping from many different places on the C / operating system drive and everytime getting the same error message as originally posted.

I'm also still unclear as to whether Mike can zip a file from, say, c:\temp, but not c:\.

I don't think this is a permission problem.  You said in a later message that you can compress files using 7zip.  The same permission problem should have forbidden it.

Also, if you can still add and delete files, I see no permission problem with compressing them.  And when you compress a file, you aren't changing the original.  It makes no sense that you can work with files in general but that the compression of a file would present a permission problem.

This is an example of being skeptical if something doesn't make logical sense. Don't assume that a computer is smarter than you are.  If something contradicts itself, skepticism is in order.  I don't know what the problem is but I wonder if there is something corrupted in the zip utility itself.

Gene

Maybe System Restore?

Hi All,

On my Windows 7 Pro system I started getting the following message whenever I try to compress a file with the Windows default compression tool from the context menu.

Access is denied.

Can someone tell me how to fix this problem, please?!  I've searched for a solution, but I don't understand exactly what to do with the steps I've found for changing permissions in the Security tab of the file I'm attempting to compress.  All help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

Mike B

Hi Sam,

Mike,

1. Open File Explorer

5. Click "Edit"
8. Click OK

Gene

Maybe System Restore?

Hi All,

Access is denied.

Sam Taylor

Mike,

1. Open File Explorer

5. Click "Edit"
8. Click OK

Gene

Maybe System Restore?

Hi All,

Access is denied.

Gene

You aren't denied access in any way you can't give yourself access to. If you don't know enough about computers to give yourself access, maybe the denial of access to certain things is the right choice by the computer manufacturer or the operating system designer.

For example, you can change a setting to give yourself acdcess to hidden files. But they are hidden for a reason. You are likely to cause yourself problems if you either intentionally or accidentally delete them.

The typical consumer doesn't know enough about computers to know what is safe to fool around with yet many people remove things they shouldn't. Computers are generally manufactured as consumer products and consumer products often have safety mechanisms to keep people from doing things they shouldn't. And, as I said, if you know what you are doing, you can give yourself access to everything in a computer.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 1:37 PM

When I purchase a computer, bring it home and put it on my desk, I fail to see HOW or WHY anyone should have the right to deny me access to any part of it.

On 7/15/2020 4:04 AM, Smiling? wrote:

Maybe System Restore?

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io On Behalf Of Mike B
To: TechTalk mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hi All,

Access is denied.

Can someone tell me how to fix this problem, please?! I've searched for a solution, but I don't understand exactly what to do with the steps I've found for changing permissions in the Security tab of the file I'm attempting to compress. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool.

Howard Traxler

When I purchase a computer, bring it home and put it on my desk, I fail to see HOW or WHY anyone should have the right to deny me access to any part of it.

On 7/15/2020 4:04 AM, Smiling? wrote:

Maybe System Restore?

Hi All,

Access is denied.

Mike B

Gene

Maybe System Restore?

Hi All,

Access is denied.

Mike B

I guess I've been leaning towards a permission problem because of what info I get from searches say about the message I get whenever I try to zip a file.  But like you stated, I wouldn't be able to delete or access certain areas or files if it's a permission problem and that's led me to believe it could be a problem with the utility itself.  As for reinstalling Windows, I haven't done a fresh reinstall in many years and it's been a lingering thought for many months, nothing more nothing less.

Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 4:25 AM

I don't think this is a permission problem.  You said in a later message
that you can compress files using 7zip.  The same permission problem should
have forbidden it.

Also, if you can still add and delete files, I see no permission problem
with compressing them.  And when you compress a file, you aren't changing
the original.  It makes no sense that you can work with files in general but
that the compression of a file would present a permission problem.

This is an example of being skeptical if something doesn't make logical
sense. Don't assume that a computer is smarter than you are.  If something
contradicts itself, skepticism is in order.  I don't know what the problem
is but I wonder if there is something corrupted in the zip utility itself.

Gene

Maybe System Restore?

Hi All,

On my Windows 7 Pro system I started getting the following message whenever
I try to compress a file with the Windows default compression tool from the
context menu.

Access is denied.

Can someone tell me how to fix this problem, please?!  I've searched for a
solution, but I don't understand exactly what to do with the steps I've
found for changing permissions in the Security tab of the file I'm
attempting to compress.  All help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please
everybody.

Sam Taylor

Gene

Maybe System Restore?

Hi All,

Access is denied.

Gene

I don't think this is a permission problem. You said in a later message that you can compress files using 7zip. The same permission problem should have forbidden it.

Also, if you can still add and delete files, I see no permission problem with compressing them. And when you compress a file, you aren't changing the original. It makes no sense that you can work with files in general but that the compression of a file would present a permission problem.

This is an example of being skeptical if something doesn't make logical sense. Don't assume that a computer is smarter than you are. If something contradicts itself, skepticism is in order. I don't know what the problem is but I wonder if there is something corrupted in the zip utility itself.

Gene

Maybe System Restore?

Hi All,

Access is denied.

Can someone tell me how to fix this problem, please?! I've searched for a solution, but I don't understand exactly what to do with the steps I've found for changing permissions in the Security tab of the file I'm attempting to compress. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool.

Smiling?

Maybe System Restore?

Hi All,

Access is denied.

Mike B

Sam,

Thank you very much for your input / help.  There's something funky going on, but since I can compress files / folders on the data drive and I can compress files using 7Zip on the OS, I'm going to quit screwing around with it!  When I find time I'll reinstall my OS, oh what joy!  LOL  LOL 

Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 7:24 PM

That's right, Mike, I don't think Compressed Zip folder shows as a new file type option, it certainly doesn't on my Win10 machine, but you may still be able to choose the option from send-to.

On 15/07/2020 12:22 pm, Mike B wrote:
Okay, here's the list I get after clicking on, New, from the context menu on the root of the C / OS Drive.

Folder
Shortcut
Bitmap image
Contact
Microsoft Word Document
Merge Document
Script Documentation
Script Header
Script Messages
Script Source
Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation
Microsoft Publisher Document
Text Document
Microsoft Excel Worksheet
Briefcase

Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 6:45 PM

Step 1: Log into the PC as an Administrator
Step 2: Access the C drive's properties
Step 3: Change the Security settings
Click on 'Security' tab; click 'Edit'. To change the permissions; highlight the particular user/group and tick the box for 'Full Control'; click 'Apply'.
Windows will show a security warning confirming that this may adversely affect your PC (or words to that effect). Click 'OK' to continue.
The PC will run through the folders in C:\ and show if any have been unable to be updated.
Once the PC has completed pushing the new security settings to the user/group you can test this by accessing the root folder, right-click and highlight 'New'. You should have the standard list of file types to save to the root.

On 15/07/2020 11:41 am, Mike B wrote:
Hi Sam,

Yes I am, but I've been doing this for years.  I take ownership of various folders so they can be accessed for various reasons and I've never had a problem, until recently.  I can compress files on my data drive, a secondary drive on my computer, but nowhere on my operating system drive can I compress a file.

Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 6:25 PM

Hi Mike,

I take it you aren't trying to compress a folder that is on the root of the C drive? Windows 7 and above prohibit this.

On 15/07/2020 11:19 am, Mike B wrote:
Hi All,

Access is denied.

Sam Taylor

That's right, Mike, I don't think Compressed Zip folder shows as a new file type option, it certainly doesn't on my Win10 machine, but you may still be able to choose the option from send-to.

On 15/07/2020 12:22 pm, Mike B wrote:
Okay, here's the list I get after clicking on, New, from the context menu on the root of the C / OS Drive.

Folder
Shortcut
Bitmap image
Contact
Microsoft Word Document
Merge Document
Script Documentation
Script Header
Script Messages
Script Source
Text Document
Briefcase

Click on 'Security' tab; click 'Edit'. To change the permissions; highlight the particular user/group and tick the box for 'Full Control'; click 'Apply'.
Windows will show a security warning confirming that this may adversely affect your PC (or words to that effect). Click 'OK' to continue.
The PC will run through the folders in C:\ and show if any have been unable to be updated.
Once the PC has completed pushing the new security settings to the user/group you can test this by accessing the root folder, right-click and highlight 'New'. You should have the standard list of file types to save to the root.

Hi Sam,

Yes I am, but I've been doing this for years.  I take ownership of various folders so they can be accessed for various reasons and I've never had a problem, until recently.  I can compress files on my data drive, a secondary drive on my computer, but nowhere on my operating system drive can I compress a file.

Hi Mike,

I take it you aren't trying to compress a folder that is on the root of the C drive? Windows 7 and above prohibit this.

Hi All,

Access is denied.

Mike B

Folder
Shortcut
Bitmap image
Contact
Microsoft Word Document
Merge Document
Script Documentation
Script Header
Script Messages
Script Source
Text Document
Briefcase

Hi Sam,

Hi Mike,

Hi All,

Access is denied.

Mike B

The compress file or Zip file option doesn't show in the list after I click on, New, from the context menu.

Hi Sam,

Hi Mike,

Hi All,

Access is denied.

Sam Taylor

Hi Sam,

Hi Mike,

Hi All,

Access is denied.

Mike B

Hi Sam,

Hi Mike,

Hi All,

Access is denied.

Sam Taylor

Hi Mike,

Hi All,

Access is denied.

Mike B

Hi All,

Access is denied.