From: Allen West
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 22:03
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Cassette Recorders

Hi All,

I have a friend that has been collecting old time radio shows since

1974. He wants to digitize all of his tapes. We went online to look at

cassette players that would allow tapes to be converted to MP3. Has

anyone used any of these players? If so, can you recommend one that is

accessible? I don't want to have him order one only to find that it is

not.

Thanks

Allen

goshawk on horseback

personally, if you are going to get a pc involved, I would use a decent quality tape deck and feed it in to the line-in on your soundcard.

Simon

I forget the name of it. But I got a USB tape player off of amazon for $20. I used it with audacity audio editor which is free and accessible to digitize all of my old tapes. Audacity can even take the old 4-track tapes and with some editing on your part you can turn each track of the 4 track cassette into its own mp3 file. I had to do this with the 2xl robot tapes that came with the 2xl robot toy.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I have a friend that has been collecting old time radio shows since

1974. He wants to digitize all of his tapes. We went online to look at

cassette players that would allow tapes to be converted to MP3. Has

anyone used any of these players? If so, can you recommend one that is

accessible? I don't want to have him order one only to find that it is

not.

Thanks

Allen

Gene

I would think your friend already has a recorder or a player unless he hasn't been listening to these shorws for awhile and has no equipment.  If so, he doesn't need to buy anything.  I won't give more information now.  It isn't accessibility that is the problem.  The kind of units you are looking at are USB units and you need to know how to set your sound card so that it will play through what it is playing through now even when the USB cable is plugged in.  If you don't do that, you will lose speech until you disconnect the USB cable.  I would be very careful and read user reviews when purchasing such a unit.  I've seen comments from knowledgeable people indicating that a lot of these units are poor quality.  If you're friend already has a recorder or player that works well, he probably has a better machine than a lot or most, perhaps all such units.

I have a friend that has been collecting old time radio shows since
1974. He wants to digitize all of his tapes. We went online to look at
cassette players that would allow tapes to be converted to MP3. Has
anyone used any of these players? If so, can you recommend one that is
accessible? I don't want to have him order one only to find that it is
not.

Thanks

Allen

Gene

That may be alright for spoken word material but I'd bet that there is no Dolby setting on such a bottom of the line unit which would make it useless for a serious music collector who wanted to digitize good quality music recordings.  We don't know if the collector used Dolby in recording the tapes but if so, buying a unit without Dolby will cause the digitized material not to be as good sound quality because you are digitizing Dolby recordings with no Dolby.

Whether the loss of quality will bother the person, I have no way of knowing but you should be aware of this when looking for a unit.

Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 9:56 PM

[...]

Sharon Hooley

What is the robot toy?

Thanks,

On Dec 11, 2017, at 8:56 PM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

[...]

Flor Lynch

APH has (or had a few years ago) what I think is called the Ion Express, which connects to PC via USB and allows one to record digitally from tapes playing in it.

Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 9:56 PM

[...]

I don't know if there is anything out of the ordinary about this product.  If you use such a product, you can use a program like MP3 Direct Cut to record.  the player uses a USB connection to get the audio into the computer in usable form as it plays and then you can use any recording program to record.  If the APH product uses a recorder that is even more simple and easy to use, those who want to learn as little as possible might consider it.  Having said that, what is the price compared with comparable units sold on the general, nonadaptive market?

I've seen enough comments from dissatisfied users of such machines that, as I said, I'd be careful and really look at user reviews.

Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 9:56 PM

[...]

The originating company is called ION Audio, and they make converters for tapes (of all sorts), and vinyl. I know that APH (or the APH Blog) featured their Tape Express some years ago, and they were stocking it.

Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 9:56 PM

[...]

Here is a long and, it appears to me from what I read, I read enough to get what I think is a good sense of the reviewer's knowledge and competency, a good series of reviews.  I did a Google search for cassette to digital converter and found this article.  It goes along with what I've seen elsewhere about the poor quality of most units but it gives a very good review to one unit, stated at the start of the article to be the best of the top ten.  I don't know what the quality of these tapes are so the person will have to decide how much to spend and if a lower quality unit will serve.

Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 9:56 PM

[...]

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>

The robot toy is or was called, 2xl. It was a robot that played 4 track cassettes and you pressed buttons on it to answer quiz questions. It was for I think ages 5 on up.

[...]

iram shabbir

i have 4 track tape kindly guide me how to digitize the casits. regards

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

Yes, I agree with you on that.  And I feel the same way about turntables, too.  I wouldn’t get one of those USB things, because I don’t know how good it is.  And I’m fussy about turntables and records and sound.  Pam.

Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 11:07 PM

[...]

Byron Stephens

I never get USB anything for turntables. You'd be better off getting a vintage deck from the 70's to the early 80's up to around 1982 when they were still built like tanks.

Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 11:07 PM

[...]

Jeffrey Schwartz

I am a devoted audiophile.  My friend, who has passed, was the manager of a company called Krell.  They make amazing equipment sold around the world often to people who add an acoustically designed  room to their house to fully appreciate the experience.  He gave me equipment which I could not afford. For example, a power amplifier which takes two men to carry retailed for fifteen thousand dollars.  My system has been biamped, i.e. one amp for each speaker.  They now make a subwoofer which weighs six hundred pounds.  The sound is amazing.  I have not switched back to vinyl as he is no longer there to assure that the equipment falls off the truck in my driveway.

Jeff

Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 11:07 PM

[...]

Not necessarily.  From what I've read, most of the USB equipment meant for digitizing records is of low quality.  But it doesn't matter if a turntable is built like a tank for reasons I'll discuss.  Also, low mass tone arms, which came into wide use later than the turntables you are discussing gave far better sound than many or perhaps most of the older turntables.  I don't know if this is true, but I would think that in the early eighties, you could spend a lot of money for a very good tone arm and get that kind of sound.  But the cost would have been far more than most stereo listeners would have wanted to pay.  I would get something with a low mass tone arm unless I could get some sort of audiofile turntable with that kind of expensive arm.  I've had the kind of built like a tank turntables with the typical arms used then, and my records sounded dramatically better with a low mass tone arm with a turntable that wasn't built like a tank.  Also, you don't need the same kind of very heavy construction you did back then for the same level of accuracy of speed.  Technology to cause motors to run very accurately became low priced enough to use in reasonably good turntables and in better quality ones, of course.  So you didn't need nearly as heavy turntable platters.  .

Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 1:47 PM

Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 11:07 PM

[...]

Are you talking about library books recorded on four separate tracks?

Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 1:18 PM

[...]

Yes; if I am going to digitize tapes or records, I will hook up my tape deck, or my technics turntable.  Pam.

Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:47 PM

Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 11:07 PM

[...]

I should say that my first message was talking about turntables.  I should have talked about cassette decks in my first message along with the turntable comments.  Again, if you are saying that decks need to be built like tanks to be good for transcribing tapes, that isn't the case.  As technology for accuracy of motor operation became increasingly lower in price, cassette decks were built lighter.  It may be that the old, heavy decks held up better under heavy use, I don't know.  But there were good decks you could get later in the cassette era that were much lighter and performed very well.

Yes; if I am going to digitize tapes or records, I will hook up my tape deck, or my technics turntable.  Pam.

Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 2:47 PM

Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 11:07 PM

[...]

The new breed of turntables have a low mass arm which rides gently on the vinyl.  Some are otherwise rather heavy for the stability  of the unit.  Some folks place their turntables on very  heavy “boards” for stability and sometimes    folks also use four cushioned unitsone in each corner to further stabilize the turntable.  We’ve come a long way since the time when some people taped a nickel to   the end of the arm so that it would go through the scratches.  By the way, the NLS Library for the blind has not used four track cassettes for many years.  They now use digital “disks”.  The best way to use their books is to   download them from a web site, Bard, and transfer them to a book reader, I use a Victor from humanware.

They site has every book as opposed to the library which often has the best books out.

Jeff

Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 1:47 PM

Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 11:07 PM