Samsung Galaxy A10e usability for totally blind

Lisa Belville

Hi, all.

My sighted mom who knows nothing about smart phones is getting a Samsung A10e from QVC.  This looks like a good deal if you like TracFone.  I may have to help her learn to use it.  Does this phone have Talkback or some other Android speech?  I am an iPhone user with Verizon, but I am also curious about the quote Other Side unquote.

Any pointers would be helpful.

Lisa

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@frontier.com

Rob Hudson

It will have Samsung Voice Assist on it.
You'll find it under settings, accessibility.

My sighted mom who knows nothing about smart phones is getting a Samsung
A10e from QVC. This looks like a good deal if you like TracFone. I may
have to help her learn to use it. Does this phone have Talkback or some
other Android speech? I am an iPhone user with Verizon, but I am also
curious about the quote Other Side unquote.

Any pointers would be helpful.

Lisa

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@frontier.com

Lisa Belville

Any experience with this Voice Assist?  The only Android knowledge I have is with an Amazon Fire Tablet with the Google Play Store on it, but that uses Amazon's voice.

On 8/12/2020 4:03 PM, Rob Hudson wrote:
It will have Samsung Voice Assist on it.
You'll find it under settings, accessibility.

My sighted mom who knows nothing about smart phones is getting a Samsung
A10e from QVC.  This looks like a good deal if you like TracFone.  I may
have to help her learn to use it.  Does this phone have Talkback or some
other Android speech?  I am an iPhone user with Verizon, but I am also
curious about the quote Other Side unquote.

Any pointers would be helpful.

Lisa

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@frontier.com

Rob Hudson

I have a samsung galaxy s8, so I use voice asisst all the time. It's a fork from talkback. I am not a heavy power phone user. I use the thing mainly (gasp!) as a phone--taking calls and doing texts. I know shocking these days lol. But for me, I've never run into any problems. If you are coming from the land of fruits, I have no idea how different the user experience is going to be. I jumped straight into android without passing go and collecting 200 dollars back in 2014. From no phone to the Galaxy s6.

My sighted mom who knows nothing about smart phones is getting a Samsung
A10e from QVC. This looks like a good deal if you like TracFone. I may
have to help her learn to use it. Does this phone have Talkback or some
other Android speech? I am an iPhone user with Verizon, but I am also
curious about the quote Other Side unquote.

Any pointers would be helpful.

Lisa

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@frontier.com

Tante Lisa, Samsung A10E is a great toy! Yes, it does come with
VoiceAssistant which is reasonably close to what you have in iOS land. Why
so? It does support multifinger gestures for example.

Since the toy is for mum who's sighted, no need to install Android Suite
which includes the Talkback screen reader on it.

If you need additional assistance with this toy, please feel free to contact
me privately. Tell mum to have fun with her new toy, and I bid her a
welcome to Androidville!!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Lisa Belville

LOL It's not just Androidville, it's Smart Phone land.  She's in for a treat, that's for sure.

I'm seriously thinking of picking one up just to try it out.  I'd love to be able to just copy/paste things onto the phone using an SD card.

Lisa

How much can one do with just the voice assist?  Is this designed to be used like SIRI or does it read more information?

On 8/12/2020 6:19 PM, Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. wrote:
Tante Lisa, Samsung A10E is a great toy! Yes, it does come with
VoiceAssistant which is reasonably close to what you have in iOS land. Why
so? It does support multifinger gestures for example.

Since the toy is for mum who's sighted, no need to install Android Suite
which includes the Talkback screen reader on it.

If you need additional assistance with this toy, please feel free to contact
me privately. Tell mum to have fun with her new toy, and I bid her a
welcome to Androidville!!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Lisa Belville

Okay, so I'll ask this question. . . How much does it talk with just the Voice Assist?  I know people who get the iPhone thinking SIRIUS will read and do everything for them and it just doesn't work that way.  Can I use the Voice Assist to do other things besides texting and calling?  What about Emails and surfing the net?  I know you said you don't do these things, but is their voice feedback when trying to do them?

On 8/12/2020 6:02 PM, Rob Hudson wrote:
[...]

Carolyn Arnold

Voice Assist is comparable to iOS's VoiceOver.

[...]

Yes there is. It can read apps and all--as long as they're accessible. It's a fully featured screen reader.

My sighted mom who knows nothing about smart phones is getting a Samsung
A10e from QVC. This looks like a good deal if you like TracFone. I may
have to help her learn to use it. Does this phone have Talkback or some
other Android speech? I am an iPhone user with Verizon, but I am also
curious about the quote Other Side unquote.

Any pointers would be helpful.

Lisa

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@frontier.com

Monte Single

Hi Lisa,

In many ways the Iphones and the androids are similar.
In apple land, You can ask siri some questions and get it to do some things.
Voiceover does not answer question or do things. It just reports what is on the screen.
Maybe things are similar with the Samsung galaxies.
Hopefully someone with the real info will clarify these things.
Maybe our great friend Olusegun will add his 20 cents worth.

My sighted mom who knows nothing about smart phones is getting a
Samsung A10e from QVC. This looks like a good deal if you like
TracFone. I may have to help her learn to use it. Does this phone
have Talkback or some other Android speech? I am an iPhone user
with Verizon, but I am also curious about the quote Other Side unquote.

Any pointers would be helpful.

Lisa

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@frontier.com

Rob Hudson

You got to set up the google assistant or bixby to do siri things. I haven't done any of it so I can't help there.

My sighted mom who knows nothing about smart phones is getting a
Samsung A10e from QVC. This looks like a good deal if you like
TracFone. I may have to help her learn to use it. Does this phone
have Talkback or some other Android speech? I am an iPhone user
with Verizon, but I am also curious about the quote Other Side unquote.

Any pointers would be helpful.

Lisa

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@frontier.com

Lisa Belville

Oh, not so much interested in that.  As long as I have speech I'm fine.  It's just that I see new iPhone users expecting SIRI to do everything and read everything to them when in reality there is plenty SIRI can't do, so it's just easier in the long run to learn to use Voice Over and the touch screen.

On 8/12/2020 9:09 PM, Rob Hudson wrote:
You got to set up the google assistant or bixby to do siri things. I haven't done any of it so I can't help there.

In many ways the Iphones and the androids are similar.
In apple land, You can ask siri some questions and get it to do some things.
Voiceover does not answer question or do things. It just reports what is on the screen.
Maybe things are similar with the Samsung galaxies.
Hopefully someone with the real info will clarify these things.
Maybe our great friend Olusegun will add his 20 cents worth.

Gerald Levy

How do you turn on Voice Assist without sighted help?  Does this phone have any physical buttons like a home key that can be tapped to turn on speech output?

Gerald

On 8/12/2020 8:37 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
[...]

Tante Lisa, indeed, the S10E does have an SD Card slot. You can move data
from a computer to an SD card inserted in the S10E without the need for a
third party software and vice versa. When connected to a computer, just
grant the necessary permissions following displayed prompts and both the toy
and SD card will be displayed as separate drives. The S10E also has a
3.5-inch jack assuming the use of this jack is a necessity. And, yes, it
will get upgrades up to Android12, currently Android11 is in beta-testing;
multifinger gestures will be supported in the new release of Talkback that's
still being minted.

A few other things:

1. The fingerprint thingie is on the Power button with the S10E.
2. The Power button is ALL BY ITSELF on the right side of the toy.
3. On the left side of the toy, there are three buttons: Volume Up, Volume
Down, and Bixby button.

You see, everyone wants to get into the Smart Assistant game, so Bixby is
Samsung's response to Google Assistant in Androidville, or Ms. Siri for iOS.
Bixby might go away in future incarnations of Samsung toys; I've read here
and there that Google and Samsung are "talking" to each other on the
subject-matter.

I think you'd like the S10E once you get Android routines down to a science;
Samsung is one company in Androidville that does address accessibility
issues in interesting ways. I don't recall ever playing with a Samsung toy
that's not already accessible from a blindness perspective right out of the
box! Yes it may not be "pure Android" compared to the Google Pixel, but
Samsung does bring with it great hardware without leaving accessibility in
the closet and its update policy has gotten better on newer toy
incarnations.

Read more about Samsung's VoiceAssistant here:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001530/

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Carolyn Arnold

That is why I said Voice Assist is comparable to VoiceOver. Siri would be comparable to OK Google.

My sighted mom who knows nothing about smart phones is getting a
Samsung A10e from QVC. This looks like a good deal if you like
TracFone. I may have to help her learn to use it. Does this phone
have Talkback or some other Android speech? I am an iPhone user
with Verizon, but I am also curious about the quote Other Side unquote.

Any pointers would be helpful.

Lisa

--
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@frontier.com

Carolyn Arnold

I didn't realize that the Google Assist had to be set up,
just thought it was part of the Android package from the get
go.

Tante Lisa wrote in part:

"Can I use the Voice Assist to do other things besides texting and calling?
What about Emails and surfing the net?"

You sure can! VoiceAssistant will read to you every piece of info thrown at
it as shown on the screen. If you can get to a phone store, I suggest you
take a short trip there and play with a Samsung toy that has VoiceAssistant
pumping blood to its veins!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Gerald wrote:

"How do you turn on Voice Assist without sighted help? Does this phone have
any physical buttons like a home key that can be tapped to turn on speech
output?"

First, a quick correction: No such app as VoiceAssist; the samsung screen
reader is VoiceAssistant and it's a FORK OF Talkback! Before now, it was
named Galaxy Talkback.

Second, the days of PHYSICAL HOME BUTTONS in newer incarnations of Android
toys are long gone. All we have are virtual home buttons still at the same
location at the bottom of the screen. You don't ever have to use it,
Android9 and 10 allows you to decide whether or not you want a home button
on your screen.

Third, accessibility in Androidville can still be enabled by laying down two
fingers on the face of the toy; you do need to turn it on and wait a few
seconds before doing this as it needs to be fully powered up. When I got my
S10 toy, I didn't even have to do this; it came up talking to me as soon as
i powered it up.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Yes, Sis Carolyn; GoogleAssistant comes with each Android installation on
all android toys! That said, it DOES NEED TO BE CONFIGURED before it can be
put to use. Example: You NEED TO TRAIN IT to recognise your voice.

There's one thing I DO NOT LIKE with respect to the GoogleAssistant: Any
voice similar to yours can trigger it. Madam Siri wins in that regard. I
sure hope that Google can figure out a way to resolve this soonest!!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Lisa Belville

Hey, Olusegun,

Thanks so much for the answers to my admittedly ignorant questions.  LOL

All of our phone stores are by appointment only, and masks and social distancing is a requirement, so little or no touching of each other's merchandise.

I ordered the phone last night and it should be here next week.

I think if I have enough rudimentary knowledge I may be able to move forward without any eyeballs.

Is it necessary to use the fingerprint reader or is it an optional thing I can set up later?