A surprising difference between desk top and laptop command

Vicky Vaughan

Hi List, I recently bought a Lenovo Windows 10 laptop and loaded Jaws 2020 on it.

I was surprised to find that when I press Insert plus F4 on its keyboard, it goes to a print command. However, when I issue that command from an attached desk top keyboard it does unload Jaws as it should.

Have any of you experienced this?

Sincerely, Vicky V

That's likely because you have to have the fn keys not function when the fn key is not depressed. At least that's why I think this is happening, but this qquestion may give us help in determining if that is the problem. Does alt f4 work properly to close programs? I'm not sure what other function keys and commands may not work properly now. But failure of alt f4 to close programs is a strong indicator, when combined with what you are asking about, that this is a fn key problem.

Hi List, I recently bought a Lenovo Windows 10 laptop and loaded Jaws 2020 on it.

I was surprised to find that when I press Insert plus F4 on its keyboard, it goes to a print command. However, when I issue that command from an attached desk top keyboard it does unload Jaws as it should.

Have any of you experienced this?

Sincerely, Vicky V

Juan Gonzalez <jgonzalezh614@...>

Like others have stated Lenovo has the habit of setting the media function keys to the default but with some visual assistance you can set the function keys to act like the ones on your desktop if that is the rout you want to go. For now do the FN plus JAWSKey plus F4 to unload JAWS. FN is the key usually on the bottom left in between the control key and the windows key. Not sure if Lenovo has an application to turn the media function keys off but one method is to go into the bios of the machine to turn them off.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hi List, I recently bought a Lenovo Windows 10 laptop and loaded Jaws 2020 on it.

I was surprised to find that when I press Insert plus F4 on its keyboard, it goes to a print command. However, when I issue that command from an attached desk top keyboard it does unload Jaws as it should.

Have any of you experienced this?

Sincerely, Vicky V

Mike B.

Try pressing, FN + Escape, to disable the function keys.

I believe you can enable / disable the function keys as default using the Lenovo Vantage app. If you don't have this app it might be available in the
Microsoft store.

Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2020 10:21 AM

Hi List, I recently bought a Lenovo Windows 10 laptop and loaded Jaws 2020 on it.

I was surprised to find that when I press Insert plus F4 on its keyboard, it goes to a print command. However, when I issue that command from an attached desk top keyboard it does unload Jaws as it should.

Have any of you experienced this?

Sincerely, Vicky V

Vicky Vaughan

Thank you all for your answers.  They are greatly appreciated!

Sincerely, Vicky V

[...]

chris judge

Some brands will allow you to change them by holding the FN key and pressing escape. I have a dell laptop as well as an HP. With the dell you toggle the behaviour of the function keys with fn escape, and with the HP you toggle them with the fn key and the left shift key. I believe others have a utility built in that allows you to change them, but I’ve never experienced this personally. If the suggestions above don’t work you may need sighted assistance to go in to the bios and change them. Regardless, it can be changed. I can’t imagine having to hold the FN key every time I implemented a command that required the use of a function key. If the lord had wanted this to be so he would have given us a third hand.

Chris Judge

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

How do you change that? Because alt f4 doesn't work, and the alt key for other things. Somebody fixed it, but then it went back to misbehaving. So, I'm using a keyboard hooked up to it. I don't know what I do to make it do this. Pam.

Hi List, I recently bought a Lenovo Windows 10 laptop and loaded Jaws 2020
on it.

I was surprised to find that when I press Insert plus F4 on its keyboard, it
goes to a print command. However, when I issue that command from an attached
desk top keyboard it does unload Jaws as it should.

Have any of you experienced this?

Sincerely, Vicky V

https://www.avg.com

Gene

Messages from others have discussed that question. I haven't tried to remember the ways in which it could be done that may be accessible to blind users. If I need to at some point, I should easily be able to find information in the archives. There is a command that might work, or there is making a change in the BIOS, which isn't accessible to blind people. I believe I saw another way that might work but I don't recall it enough to explain it.

Hi List, I recently bought a Lenovo Windows 10 laptop and loaded Jaws 2020
on it.

I was surprised to find that when I press Insert plus F4 on its keyboard, it
goes to a print command. However, when I issue that command from an attached
desk top keyboard it does unload Jaws as it should.

Have any of you experienced this?

Sincerely, Vicky V

https://www.avg.com

chris judge

Try holding the FN key and pressing escape. If this doesn't work, try
holding the fn key and pressing the left shift key. If either of these work
you might have to get sighted assistance and change it through the bios.

Chris Judge