Skype Alternative

Eleni Vamvakari

I've had enough of Skype. It no longer works on XP, and when I was
forced to update on my 7 machine, ebcause it said that it was an
out-of-date version, it was so inaccessible that I couldn't even log
in. I need an alternative, please. I use XP, 7, and NVDA.

Thanks,
Eleni

--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

David Moore <jesusloves1966@...>

Hi Eleni!

Google Hangouts is a great alternative!

It is part of the Google apps, and it is totally free to use.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I've had enough of Skype.  It no longer works on XP, and when I was

forced to update on my 7 machine, ebcause it said that it was an

out-of-date version, it was so inaccessible that I couldn't even log

in.  I need an alternative, please.  I use XP, 7, and NVDA.

Thanks,

Eleni

--

Facebook: elvam2167@...

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

Eleni Vamvakari

Is it 100% accessible with NVDA? I haven't had much luck with Google
anything, except the html version of GMail.

On 17/12/2017, David Moore <jesusloves1966@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Eleni!
Google Hangouts is a great alternative!
It is part of the Google apps, and it is totally free to use.
David Moore
Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I've had enough of Skype. It no longer works on XP, and when I was
forced to update on my 7 machine, ebcause it said that it was an
out-of-date version, it was so inaccessible that I couldn't even log
in. I need an alternative, please. I use XP, 7, and NVDA.

Thanks,
Eleni

--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

Eleni Vamvakari

I just remembered that there is a sip client that is accessible.
Basically, I can use it just like Skype. I would get a number (I
think I hve one already) as would the person with whom I wish to
speak, and then, we could talk over the computer. But I don't
remember which program (not network but softphone) is accessible. I
am still interested in other alternatives as well. I am not trying to
make phone calls to landlines or mobile phones.

On 17/12/2017, Eleni Vamvakari <elvam2167@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Ileni, there are alternatives to Skype; however, if you don't like tinkering
with smartphones, pushing the plough uphill does become an impossible task.
Perhaps you can take a hard look at Portable Skype found here:

https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/sportable

Hopefully that might work for you!

I don't know why you are having problems installing Skype in your Windows7
box; Skype runs here OK in that box although anything and everything Skype I
do presently is on my ancient, Android toy which still works. I did grab an
upgrade to it, but it hasn't been fully deployed yet.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Yikes, I forgot all about Google HangOuts! I suppose it's because I use it
exclusively on my Android toy. I'd join David in suggesting that it be
given a test drive; it might run better in your Windows7 box!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Eleni Vamvakari

I have no interest in touchscreen phones. As for Skype Portable, that
is what I was using. I try, as much as possible, to use portable
versions of programs. In any case, I'll try Google Hangouts. I just
didn't think it would be accessible, given their track record. But I
may be pleasantly surprised. *smile*

On 17/12/2017, Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc.
<ukekearuaro@valtdnet.com> wrote:
Yikes, I forgot all about Google HangOuts! I suppose it's because I use it
exclusively on my Android toy. I'd join David in suggesting that it be
given a test drive; it might run better in your Windows7 box!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

David Moore <jesusloves1966@...>

Yes!

Google Hangouts is very accessible with JAWS and NVDA, just like Google Docs and so on!

--

Facebook: elvam2167@...

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

Josh Kennedy

What web browser do you use with google docs? Is there a tutorial for using NVDA with google docs? And do you have to be online to use google docs? I wish they would make libreoffice more accessible.

--

Facebook: elvam2167@...

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

Josh Kennedy

Google has been accessible for 5 or so years now. Also touch screen phones and devices are easy to use. And dos and windows are also easy to use. If someone showed you the basics of using touch screens with screen readers you’d be off and running with it within 2 or 3 days at most. I like both touch screen and non touch screen stuff, dos, windows, all of it is fun to use.

--

Facebook: elvam2167@...

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

Josh Kennedy

Hi Olusegun, if you need a cheap accessible android toy I recommend either an RCA voyager tablet with keyboard dock android 6 costing $42 or so. Or if you want a phone the alcatel a30 with android7 and 8mp camera with flash for $99 is also accessible quite good. Or the moto e4 plus for $135.

Josh

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Ileni, there are alternatives to Skype; however, if you don't like tinkering

with smartphones, pushing the plough uphill does become an impossible task.

Perhaps you can take a hard look at Portable Skype found here:

https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/sportable

Hopefully that might work for you!

I don't know why you are having problems installing Skype in your Windows7

box; Skype runs here OK in that box although anything and everything Skype I

do presently is on my ancient, Android toy which still works.  I did grab an

upgrade to it, but it hasn't been fully deployed yet.

Sincerely,

Olusegun

Denver, Colorado

Eleni Vamvakari

Personally, I must have a real keyboard or I'm not satisfied. I want
to use commands, menus, and/or hotkeys to accomplish my goals. I have
no patience with gestures, with the possible exception of dragging my
finger on the screen until I find what I want and either lifting it or
tapping it. But that's as far as I go, and even then, I could never
use that as a substitute for typing. It would just be something to
try for fun.

On 17/12/2017, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Cristóbal

Using Skype 7.X on my Windows 10 laptop and desktop with Jaws 2018 as my
main screen reader. I do have NVDA as well, but really only use it in a
pinch.
All in all with Jaws at least, I find Skype to be accessible. I do have a
paid number and use it for incoming and outgoing phone calls.

Ileni, there are alternatives to Skype; however, if you don't like tinkering
with smartphones, pushing the plough uphill does become an impossible task.
Perhaps you can take a hard look at Portable Skype found here:

https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/sportable

Hopefully that might work for you!

I don't know why you are having problems installing Skype in your Windows7
box; Skype runs here OK in that box although anything and everything Skype I
do presently is on my ancient, Android toy which still works. I did grab an
upgrade to it, but it hasn't been fully deployed yet.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Josh Kennedy

I would never type something real long with my phone’s touch screen only keyboard. My android tablet with physical keyboard dock, however? That is a different story. Android works great with keyboards and I am very happy with my RCA tablet and latest talkback.

--

Facebook: elvam2167@...

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

Hmm, for me, Google HangOuts is fully accessible and usable from a blindness
perspective. I DO NOT use it on my computer, just strictly on my phone! I
am one person who wants to DITCH WINDOWS and run only with Android!
However, thus far, the apps I need to use for keeping certain records for my
wee, small business DO NOT have Android equivalents, so, I'm stuck in that
regard.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Ileni, besides my touchscreen phone, I also have a Bluetooth keyboard.
Having pared it with my phone, I am able to successfully send and read text
messages using a Bluetooth keyboard with no hassles of any kind. Heck, I
can even make phone calls, surf the web, reach out to my contacts on Skype,
read and respond to WhatsApp texts, et al using a Bluetooth keyboard. The
one I have is a portable trifold that fits snugly into my utility bag or
coat pocket.

So, it's not true that one can't use a keyboard with a touchscreen device.
Even on iPhones, Bluetooth keyboards can also be deployed. There are
Android tablets with detachable keyboards; and even if the keyboard DOES NOT
come with the tablets, Bluetooth keyboards are reasonably priced and, on the
average, they won't milk the bank to death.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Joseph Hudson <jhud7789@...>

Alaskan, I hate to tell you this but she's not interested in obtaining any kind of smart phone. Unfortunately. I tried to tell her, Wayne she was looking at getting a new phone, that there are a lot of things that she'll be a will to doing it and then there's some things, dad she wanted to do that she would no longer be able to do. So getting a smart phone was out of the question for her. I even tried to tell her, that she could navigated via the keyboard, and it still was like no, I can't do that. Did not even want to try.
Joseph Hudson

Email
jhud7789@gmail.com
I device support
Telephone
2543007667
Skype
joseph.hudson89
facebook
Twitter
https://twitter.com/josephhudson89

FaceTime/iMessage
jhud7789@yahoo.com

On Dec 17, 2017, at 9:36 PM, Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. <ukekearuaro@valtdnet.com> wrote:

[...]

Yes. But we have already discussed keyboards and Android, and the fact
is that you cannot access everything on an Android device via the
keyboard. You can with Apple, but they're ridiculous expensive and
proprietary. Anyway, Hangouts does look quite accessible with Firefox
and NVDA. I am still interested in learning about other options, but
for now, this looks good.

[...]

The only app that is not very keyboard friendly on my android device is xfinity stream. 95% of what I do on my android device I do with the keyboard.

--

Facebook: elvam2167@...

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

Josh Kennedy

Wonder why people are not into smart phones when they are so cheap these days? After all windows7 will stop being supported soon, and everyone using it will have to move onto windows10 because I bet within 10 to 15 years, just like xp, windows7 will be so so will be so outdated it will be almost completely unuseable. Even today I would not use a computer with windows xp on it. It can no longer do what I need it to do. But back in 2002 xp worked fine and did what it needed to for its time back 15 years ago. And back 22 years or 23 years ago in 1995, windows95 was great. Now windows95 is just a fun toy to play with in an emulator. Same with dos. Today, if I tried sending my son’s teacher an old wordPerfect 5.1 or if my son wrote a paper in wordperfect 5.1 the computers at his school could not handle it, and teachers would strongly encourage him to use Microsoft office or google docs. I do have wordperfect. And its fun to play with in the dos emulator. But I would never submit anything professional with wordperfect today. It’s too outdated. No longer supported.