Topics

problems with gmail

Gene

I wonder if there is something odd about the way Google is coded in the standard view.  I can find the buttons using find, as I said, but I tried the suggestion of using move by button and the spam and delete buttons aren't seen when using that command.  When you use b, do you stop at those buttons?  I stop at many buttons, but not those.

Gene

On 9/21/2020 9:46 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Gene,

I am using the standard view.  And you are correct that certain controls appear only when they make sense.  The Delete and Report Spam buttons only appear when one or more messages are selected, because if none are there is for those controls to take action on.

The buttons are visible, but still not "findable" for me.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

~ Technician with the username Computer Bloke, on Technibble.com

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 11:09 AM, Laz wrote:
The most efficient way to find the delete or mark as spam button is by using the letter b to navigate by buttons.
-
I agree with this, it's far more efficient than my initial TAB or SHIFT+TAB method.  I'm ashamed I didn't think of this myself, since we are dealing with a web page.

--

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

Laz

The most efficient way to find the delete or mark as spam button is by
using the letter b to navigate by buttons. So if one has checkmarked
at least one message to delete or mark as spam one just presses the
letter B a couple of times from where one is in the messages to find
the delete or mark as spam buttons which are below the list of
messages. One can also use shift and the letter B to locate the delete
or mark as spam buttons found before the list of messages.

Laz

On 9/21/20, Brian Vogel <@britechguy> wrote:
Gene,

I am using the standard view. And you are correct that certain controls
appear only when they make sense. The Delete and Report Spam buttons only
appear when one or more messages are selected, because if none are there is
for those controls to take action on.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

*Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely
fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.*

--
Affordably priced Accessible Talking MP3 Player/book Reader, Victor
Reader Stream & Trek, blindshell Classic phone, Bluetooth devices, and
accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@...
Phone: 727-498-0121
Personal Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/laz.mesa
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Talkingmp3players?_rdr

Gene,

I am using the standard view.  And you are correct that certain controls appear only when they make sense.  The Delete and Report Spam buttons only appear when one or more messages are selected, because if none are there is for those controls to take action on.

--

Gene

I just tried the standard view and that may explain it.  I found that if one or presumably more, messages are checked, I can find the spam and delete button with the NVDA find command.  If they aren't checked, I can't.  The standard view appears to be more context sensitive than simple HTML.

Gene

On 9/20/2020 10:41 PM, Gene via groups.io wrote:
I should add that I'm using simple HTML.  If you are using the standard view, that might account for the difference, though I don't see why it should.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Gene
Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 10:16 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] problems with gmail

I don't know why.  I found them both using the NVDA find.  I was using
Chrome but I don't think the browser would matter.  I started from the top
of the page.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 9:57 PM

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 08:42 PM, Gene wrote:
How are you searching?  I found both.-
With NVDA's find, and it does not find either the "Report Spam" nor "Delete"
buttons.   If I hit NVDA+CTRL+F and enter either "spam" or "delete" in the
search edit box, I never land on either button and get a not found.  And
I've tried having focus anywhere I can think of having focus before
commencing the search.

But when I brute force my way around, and hit each, they are announced by
NVDA.

Gene

I should add that I'm using simple HTML. If you are using the standard view, that might account for the difference, though I don't see why it should.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 10:16 PM

I don't know why. I found them both using the NVDA find. I was using
Chrome but I don't think the browser would matter. I started from the top
of the page.

Gene

How are you searching? I found both.-
With NVDA's find, and it does not find either the "Report Spam" nor "Delete"
buttons. If I hit NVDA+CTRL+F and enter either "spam" or "delete" in the
search edit box, I never land on either button and get a not found. And
I've tried having focus anywhere I can think of having focus before
commencing the search.

But when I brute force my way around, and hit each, they are announced by
NVDA.

--

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely
fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

Gene

I don't know why. I found them both using the NVDA find. I was using Chrome but I don't think the browser would matter. I started from the top of the page.

Gene

How are you searching? I found both.-
With NVDA's find, and it does not find either the "Report Spam" nor "Delete" buttons. If I hit NVDA+CTRL+F and enter either "spam" or "delete" in the search edit box, I never land on either button and get a not found. And I've tried having focus anywhere I can think of having focus before commencing the search.

But when I brute force my way around, and hit each, they are announced by NVDA.

--

How are you searching?  I found both.
-
With NVDA's find, and it does not find either the "Report Spam" nor "Delete" buttons.   If I hit NVDA+CTRL+F and enter either "spam" or "delete" in the search edit box, I never land on either button and get a not found.  And I've tried having focus anywhere I can think of having focus before commencing the search.

But when I brute force my way around, and hit each, they are announced by NVDA.

--

Gene

You have to check the check box associated with the message.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 8:01 PM

I found the report spam button using jaws 2020 but when I hit it I got a message that nothing was selected. I assume then that if I find a message even in thunderbird that I can go to the gmail site and find that message again and select it and then press the report spam button?

Troy

On 9/20/2020 7:24 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
There is a "Report Spam" button, right next to the Delete button I mentioned in he previously linked instructions. Like that delete button, I have to brute force SHIFT+TAB or TAB to eventually land on it. Find/Search, whether with screen reader or straight browser, doesn't locate it.
--

Troy Burnham

I found the report spam button using jaws 2020 but when I hit it I got a message that nothing was selected. I assume then that if I find a message even in thunderbird that I can go to the gmail site and find that message again and select it and then press the report spam button?

Troy

There is a "Report Spam" button, right next to the Delete button I mentioned in he previously linked instructions.  Like that delete button, I have to brute force SHIFT+TAB or TAB to eventually land on it.  Find/Search, whether with screen reader or straight browser, doesn't locate it.
--

Gene

How are you searching?  I found both.

Gene

There is a "Report Spam" button, right next to the Delete button I mentioned in he previously linked instructions.  Like that delete button, I have to brute force SHIFT+TAB or TAB to eventually land on it.  Find/Search, whether with screen reader or straight browser, doesn't locate it.
--

--

Troy Burnham

How do I mark messages as spam on the gmail site? I only know how to do it in thunderbird.

Troy

On 9/20/2020 4:27 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
James,

I can never remember which e-mail clients hand "things marked as junk/spam" information back to Gmail.  So, if you're able, I would use the Gmail webmail interface as you can be 100% certain that the information lands in Google's hands for updating their filters that way.

--

James,

If there are things that are "in common enough to easily identify as a group" among these messages, and you're using the Gmail web interface, you could have a look at this tutorial I wrote a while back that, while having mass delete as its focus, can be used in the same manner for other reasons:

Mass Selection and Deletion of Gmail Messages via the Gmail Web Interface
--

James Bentley

I have been going to the unsubscribe link in some email.  That turned out to be a nightmare.  I unsubscribe from one email list and get subscribed to 2 or more new list that I have never heard of before.  So, thanks for your suggestion.  Its not the fastist method in the short term but maybe it does save time and frustration in the long term.

Wish I could push a button and get rid of all of the bad actors in the world. *smile.

Stay safe,

James B 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 4:27 PM

James,

I can never remember which e-mail clients hand "things marked as junk/spam" information back to Gmail.  So, if you're able, I would use the Gmail webmail interface as you can be 100% certain that the information lands in Google's hands for updating their filters that way.

--

James,

--

James Bentley

Hi Brian,

Do I mark it as spam with my email client “Outlook” or do I have to go to the Gmail wevb site and mark it as spam there?

Many thanks,

James B 

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 2:49 PM

Gmail has some of the best spam filtering out there.  If this stuff is landing in your inbox you should mark it as spam and it won't continue doing so for very long, as Google updates its filters based upon what end users mark as spam.

And although it's too late for you, this is a general rule:  NEVER, EVER, EVER use an unsubscribe link in spam e-mail.  It is only there so that the spammer can confirm that the e-mail address is active and being monitored by a human being.  That makes the address more valuable for resale.

--

Troy Burnham

Thanks Brian. As I said I know clicking on the unsubscribe links was a mistake, I did it in a moment of frustration because although all of the spam was going to my spam folder in thunderbird I was getting a ton of it so I figured it was worth a try. I will try your suggestion of marking stuff as spam that I don't want from now on and maybe I'll start getting less of the messages trying to get me to buy insurance and sign up for college classes at least.

Troy

On 9/20/2020 2:48 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Gmail has some of the best spam filtering out there.  If this stuff is landing in your inbox you should mark it as spam and it won't continue doing so for very long, as Google updates its filters based upon what end users mark as spam.

And although it's too late for you, this is a general rule:  NEVER, EVER, EVER use an unsubscribe link in spam e-mail.  It is only there so that the spammer can confirm that the e-mail address is active and being monitored by a human being.  That makes the address more valuable for resale.

--

--

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

A few days ago I decided to try to get rid of some of the spam mail I've been receiving by hitting the unsubscribe link in a few of the e-mails, yeah I know now that was a bad idea. Anyway since then I've been getting a ton of bounced e-mails, a lot more than I sent out trying to unsubscribe, and they're all coming to my inbox.

On top of that I've been receiving messages from insurance companies trying to sell me insurance and I'm not looking for insurance of any kind and haven't contacted these companies in any way, and I'm getting other e-mails that seem to be in a mixture of English and another language and from what I can tell they're trying to get me to sign up for college classes. Aside from changing my address is there anything I can do? I'd like to be able to contact someone at google to see if they can help me since gmail is associated with google but I haven't been able to find any contact info. Is this just a gmail thing and the longer a single gmail address is used the more this kind of thing may happen?

I doubt there's anything I can do but I just thought I'd ask, thanks in advance for any ideas.

Troy