Topics

problems with gmail

Gene

I wonder if there is something odd about the way Google is coded in the standard view.  I can find the buttons using find, as I said, but I tried the suggestion of using move by button and the spam and delete buttons aren't seen when using that command.  When you use b, do you stop at those buttons?  I stop at many buttons, but not those.

Gene

On 9/21/2020 9:46 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Gene,

           I am using the standard view.  And you are correct that certain controls appear only when they make sense.  The Delete and Report Spam buttons only appear when one or more messages are selected, because if none are there is for those controls to take action on.

           The buttons are visible, but still not "findable" for me.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 11:09 AM, Laz wrote:
The most efficient way to find the delete or mark as spam button is by using the letter b to navigate by buttons.
-
I agree with this, it's far more efficient than my initial TAB or SHIFT+TAB method.  I'm ashamed I didn't think of this myself, since we are dealing with a web page.

Laz

The most efficient way to find the delete or mark as spam button is by
using the letter b to navigate by buttons. So if one has checkmarked
at least one message to delete or mark as spam one just presses the
letter B a couple of times from where one is in the messages to find
the delete or mark as spam buttons which are below the list of
messages. One can also use shift and the letter B to locate the delete
or mark as spam buttons found before the list of messages.

Laz

Gene,

I am using the standard view. And you are correct that certain controls
appear only when they make sense. The Delete and Report Spam buttons only
appear when one or more messages are selected, because if none are there is
for those controls to take action on.

The buttons are visible, but still not "findable" for me.

*Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely
fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.*

accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@...
Phone: 727-498-0121

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Gene,

           I am using the standard view.  And you are correct that certain controls appear only when they make sense.  The Delete and Report Spam buttons only appear when one or more messages are selected, because if none are there is for those controls to take action on.

           The buttons are visible, but still not "findable" for me.

I just tried the standard view and that may explain it.  I found that if one or presumably more, messages are checked, I can find the spam and delete button with the NVDA find command.  If they aren't checked, I can't.  The standard view appears to be more context sensitive than simple HTML.

Gene

On 9/20/2020 10:41 PM, Gene via groups.io wrote:
I should add that I'm using simple HTML.  If you are using the standard view, that might account for the difference, though I don't see why it should.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Gene
Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 10:16 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] problems with gmail

I don't know why.  I found them both using the NVDA find.  I was using
Chrome but I don't think the browser would matter.  I started from the top
of the page.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 9:57 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 08:42 PM, Gene wrote:
How are you searching?  I found both.-
With NVDA's find, and it does not find either the "Report Spam" nor "Delete"
buttons.   If I hit NVDA+CTRL+F and enter either "spam" or "delete" in the
search edit box, I never land on either button and get a not found.  And
I've tried having focus anywhere I can think of having focus before
commencing the search.

But when I brute force my way around, and hit each, they are announced by
NVDA.

Gene

[...]

You have to check the check box associated with the message.