Topics

blind so long that I need help with my new laptop

Jeffrey Schwartz

Not for me

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Mitchel
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 10:15 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] blind so long that I need hel with my new laptop

does control P still do the print? that was always my favorite but that has been a long time ago.

Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 6:56 PM

Subject: [TechTalk] blind so long that I need hel with my new laptop

My last new pc had menu bars across the top op applications.  G to windows ten and the ribbon menus is a challenge.  What is the easiest way  to rint  a word document?  I mist alt plus F and going down to the print menu.

Any help would b appreciated. 

Jeff

Blaster

You could try this:
Press the Alt key + F key followed by the P key

HTH,
blaster

On 12/26/17, Jeffrey Schwartz <jeffreyschwartz0238@comcast.net> wrote:
Not for me

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Dave Mitchel

does control P still do the print? that was always my favorite but that has
been a long time ago.

To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

My last new pc had menu bars across the top op applications. G to windows
ten and the ribbon menus is a challenge. What is the easiest way to rint
a word document? I mist alt plus F and going down to the print menu.

Jeff

Gene

I would suggest that you look at the tutorial I did on ribbons again.  That is, I would suggest it if you want to see if you can understand the structure of ribbon programs better.  that's up to you, whether you want to do that or just more or less work by rote. I said in the tutorial that every ribbon program has one menu.  You can still find print in that menu.  You open the menu in ribbon programs with alt f.  Open the menu and look down it.  You will find print.  If you don't, it will be because something I'm not familiar with such as back stage view is interfering with your ability to access the menu.  If that is the case, let us know and people can tell you how to deal with that problem. 

However, if control p doesn't work, that raises the question of whether you can print from the print item in the menu.  It may point to a general problem with printing and not just to a problem with that one control p command.  The command should work.  a lot of control plus letter commands have been retained in word after ribbons were introduced.  We'll see what happens when you try to print from the menu.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 9:48 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] blind so long that I need help with my new laptop

Not for me

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Mitchel

does control P still do the print? that was always my favorite but that has been a long time ago.

My last new pc had menu bars across the top op applications.  G to windows ten and the ribbon menus is a challenge.  What is the easiest way  to rint  a word document?  I mist alt plus F and going down to the print menu.

Jeff

REGilman

Hi Jeff,

I think Control P is not working for you because your letter P is having a problem. In your message the p is missing from every word where it was needed

Hope that is of some help.

Bob.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Schwartz
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 10:48 PM

Not for me

Jeff

Gene

No, p is not missing from every place where it should be.  it is in the subject line when the word print is written and in other places to.  there may be a problem with it, perhaps it needs more pressure than it should because it is missing from some words but a good firm press while holding control and repeating the press two or three times if nothing happens after the first press should cause it to function if it didn't.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 12:59 AM

Hi Jeff,

I think Control P is not working for you because your letter P is having a problem. In your message the p is missing from every word where it was needed

Bob.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Schwartz

Not for me

Jeff

Michael Boyd <mike122061@...>

If you will use the key stroke Control + P, the print wizard will come up, and unless you have more than 1 printer installed, you can just press the space bar on the “Print” button that appears there when you press Control + P.

Michael

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 10:40 PM

I would suggest that you look at the tutorial I did on ribbons again.  That is, I would suggest it if you want to see if you can understand the structure of ribbon programs better.  that's up to you, whether you want to do that or just more or less work by rote. I said in the tutorial that every ribbon program has one menu.  You can still find print in that menu.  You open the menu in ribbon programs with alt f.  Open the menu and look down it.  You will find print.  If you don't, it will be because something I'm not familiar with such as back stage view is interfering with your ability to access the menu.  If that is the case, let us know and people can tell you how to deal with that problem. 

However, if control p doesn't work, that raises the question of whether you can print from the print item in the menu.  It may point to a general problem with printing and not just to a problem with that one control p command.  The command should work.  a lot of control plus letter commands have been retained in word after ribbons were introduced.  We'll see what happens when you try to print from the menu.

Gene

Not for me

Jeff

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Are you saying that ctrl-p doesn't work, Jeff? If that's the case, then something's wrong with your printer. Did you try hitting 'enter' after hitting ctrl-p? There's a dialog when you hit ctrl-p. Just hit enter after ctrl-p.

If this doesn't work, then you may have to get new drivers for your printer. Is the printer on? Is it connected properly to the laptop?

Ann P.

Original message:

Not for me
My last new pc had menu bars across the top op applications. G to windows ten and the ribbon menus is a challenge. What is the easiest way to rint a word document? I mist alt plus F and going down to the print menu.
Jeff
--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Author of The Demmies: http://www.dldbooks.com/annparsons/
Portal Tutoring web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Jeffrey Schwartz

Anne,
After all of the help from this fine list, I'm OK.
Jeff

-----Original Message-----
Ann Parsons
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 7:03 AM

Hi all,

Are you saying that ctrl-p doesn't work, Jeff? If that's the case,
then something's wrong with your printer. Did you try hitting 'enter'
after hitting ctrl-p? There's a dialog when you hit ctrl-p. Just hit enter
after ctrl-p.

If this doesn't work, then you may have to get new drivers for your
printer. Is the printer on? Is it connected properly to the laptop?

Ann P.

Original message:

Not for me
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Dave Mitchel
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] blind so long that I need hel with my new
laptop
does control P still do the print? that was always my favorite but
that has been a long time ago.
My last new pc had menu bars across the top op applications. G to
windows ten and the ribbon menus is a challenge. What is the easiest
way to rint a word document? I mist alt plus F and going down to the
print menu.
Jeff
--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

Jeffrey Schwartz

Gene,

I’m ok with printing now.  How about  getting rid of back stage view, whatever that is.

Jeff

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 11:40 PM

Gene

Not for me

Jeff

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Hmmm, thus spake the detective! Well, that may indeed be the 'roblem. Me, I'd test things out by opening note'ad and typing Peter Piper Picked a peck of pickled peppers. How many pecks of pickled peppers could Peter Piper pick? If you get "etyer ier icked a eck of ickled eers..." Then it's time to get a new keyboard.

Ann P.

Original message:

Hi Jeff,
Bob.
Not for me
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>] On Behalf Of Dave Mitchel
My last new pc had menu bars across the top op applications. G to windows ten and the ribbon menus is a challenge. What is the easiest way to rint a word document? I mist alt plus F and going down to the print menu.
Jeff
--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

Gene

Someone else may know how to do that. 

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 6:29 AM

Gene,

I’m ok with printing now.  How about  getting rid of back stage view, whatever that is.

Jeff

Gene

Not for me

Jeff

Jeff Christiansen

Jeffrey

You will have to repeat the following in Excel and Word.

First, open the program. You are at a backstage dialog. Use the escape key to close.

Next, use Alt F, now the letter, T

Now, use, Shift Tab, three times. You should hear something like show startup screen, check box. Use space bar to uncheck.

Tab to the ok button and use space bar to close the options dialog.

Repeat the above in Word or Excel to no longer see the backstage dialog.

HTH

Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 5:29 AM

Gene,

Jeff

Gene

Not for me

Jeff

Michael Boyd <mike122061@...>

Jeff,

Open the Office application in question.

Press ALT + F to open the menu tabs, you will hear “Backstage View”.

Arrow down to “Options”, and press enter.

There will be a list to come up with some different categories beginning with “General”.

Tab down through the General tab until you hear “Show the start screen on start up” or something very similar to this, and uncheck this box.

Tab around to the category list again and arrow down to the “Save” category.

Tab through this list until you hear “Show the Backstage View when opening or saving a document” or something very similar to this. Uncheck this box.

Tab down to the OK button and press enter.

After this, the only time you should hear the term “Backstage View” is when you open the menu by pressing ALT + F.

This action will have to be performed for each Office application.

Michael

Jeff,

Open the Office program in question.

Press ALT + F to open the menu, you will hear “Backstage

Gene,

Jeff

Gene

Not for me

Jeff

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

What do you mean that it does not work for you? It is and has been the shortcut in Windows for about as long as I can remember. And believe me I am older than you and used Windows for many, many years.
Marie

Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 7:48 PM

Not for me

Jeff

Carolyn Arnold

1. Open a word document.
2. Press Alt+F+T+S.
3. Tab to Backstage.
4. Uncheck.
5. Tab to OK.
6. Exit word.

That should solve your backstage problem - did not rememver,
went and double checked.

Never be afraid of an unknown future with a known God, ,\

Carolyn

P.S. Some might just say to press AltF+T, then you have to
Control+Tab to the fourth stop. As Gene has said, as you get
more familiar with ribbons, you'll know key strokes that
land you closer to where you need to be.

[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 7:32 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] blind so long that I need help with
my new laptop

Gene

<mailto:jeffreyschwartz0238@comcast.net>
my new laptop

Gene,

I'm ok with printing now. How about getting rid of back
stage view, whatever that is.

Jeff

<mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
my new laptop

I would suggest that you look at the tutorial I did on
ribbons again. That is, I would suggest it if you want to
see if you can understand the structure of ribbon programs
better. that's up to you, whether you want to do that or
just more or less work by rote. I said in the tutorial that
every ribbon program has one menu. You can still find print
in that menu. You open the menu in ribbon programs with alt
f. Open the menu and look down it. You will find print.
If you don't, it will be because something I'm not familiar
with such as back stage view is interfering with your
ability to access the menu. If that is the case, let us
know and people can tell you how to deal with that problem.

However, if control p doesn't work, that raises the question
of whether you can print from the print item in the menu.
It may point to a general problem with printing and not just
to a problem with that one control p command. The command
should work. a lot of control plus letter commands have
been retained in word after ribbons were introduced. We'll
see what happens when you try to print from the menu.

Gene

my new laptop

Not for me

[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Mitchel
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] blind so long that I need hel with
my new laptop

does control P still do the print? that was always my
favorite but that has been a long time ago.

Subject: [TechTalk] blind so long that I need hel with my
new laptop

My last new pc had menu bars across the top op applications.
G to windows ten and the ribbon menus is a challenge. What
is the easiest way to rint a word document? I mist alt
plus F and going down to the print menu.

Jeff

Jeffrey Schwartz

If you notice I changed the subject of this message.  I beat the hell out of the old one  and   inserted the p where it belonged.

Jeff

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Boyd
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 2:37 AM

If you will use the key stroke Control + P, the print wizard will come up, and unless you have more than 1 printer installed, you can just press the space bar on the “Print” button that appears there when you press Control + P.

Michael

Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 10:40 PM

Gene

Not for me

Jeff

Smiling?

This is something I have noticed you doing for quite a while now which I
just never put anything together to hopefully allow you to see the errors of
it.

When you give anyone a keystroke of say
2. Press Alt+F+T+S (like you did in the email below).
What this actually looks like, is one decent sized keystroke which as I am
sure you know, not correct.
It is actually 3 keystrokes strung all together making it look like one
decent sized keystroke and if a person wasn't aware of this, they would
unfortunately be trying the keystroke to discover that it does not work at
all.

Once again in your example of
2. Press Alt+F+T+S.
This is 3 different keystrokes which being so, means that the keystrokes do
not take place all at the same time, but having them listed in all one step
like you do using the plus characters, tells the user that it is one single
keystroke which is meant to be done all at once. Hopefully you are aware of
this being 3 different steps/keystrokes though.

The first one for example
Alt+F is to get into the File menu to then get to the next keystroke of
T which is to get into the options.
Then your final keystroke which is S. I am not sure of what S is the
shortcut key for and I am not going to research it to find out, but
hopefully this truly assists you in seeing why placing several keystrokes is
just not a correct way of sharing information with anyone unless of course,
it's your goal to confuse whomever which I strongly doubt.

So in your example of 6 steps, would now be 8 steps which is posted below as
an example.

1. Open a Word document.
2. Alt+F is to get into the File menu.
3. T which is to get into the options.
4. Then the S keystroke.
5. Tab to Backstage.
6. Uncheck.
7. Tab to OK.
8. Exit word.

Hopefully this helps you to see the truth and not at all to become offended
because it is not at all the goal.

Carolyn Arnold
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 10:09 AM

1. Open a word document.
2. Press Alt+F+T+S.
3. Tab to Backstage.
4. Uncheck.
5. Tab to OK.
6. Exit word.

went and double checked.

Carolyn

my new laptop

Gene

my new laptop

Gene,

Jeff

my new laptop

Gene

my new laptop

Not for me

my new laptop

new laptop

Jeff

Carolyn Arnold

Yes, that makes better sense. I was writing like I have seen
them done, but it is clearer to do it that way, and S stands
for safety.

Never be afraid of an unknown future with a known God,

Carolyn

[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Smiling?
Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2017 7:50 AM
my new laptop

This is something I have noticed you doing for quite a while
now which I just never put anything together to hopefully
allow you to see the errors of it.

When you give anyone a keystroke of say
2. Press Alt+F+T+S (like you did in the email below).
What this actually looks like, is one decent sized keystroke
which as I am sure you know, not correct.
It is actually 3 keystrokes strung all together making it
look like one decent sized keystroke and if a person wasn't
aware of this, they would unfortunately be trying the
keystroke to discover that it does not work at all.

Once again in your example of
2. Press Alt+F+T+S.
This is 3 different keystrokes which being so, means that
the keystrokes do not take place all at the same time, but
having them listed in all one step like you do using the
plus characters, tells the user that it is one single
keystroke which is meant to be done all at once. Hopefully
you are aware of this being 3 different steps/keystrokes
though.

The first one for example
Alt+F is to get into the File menu to then get to the next
keystroke of
T which is to get into the options.
Then your final keystroke which is S. I am not sure of what
S is the shortcut key for and I am not going to research it
to find out, but hopefully this truly assists you in seeing
why placing several keystrokes is just not a correct way of
sharing information with anyone unless of course, it's your
goal to confuse whomever which I strongly doubt.

So in your example of 6 steps, would now be 8 steps which is
posted below as an example.

1. Open a Word document.
2. Alt+F is to get into the File menu.
3. T which is to get into the options.
4. Then the S keystroke.
5. Tab to Backstage.
6. Uncheck.
7. Tab to OK.
8. Exit word.

Hopefully this helps you to see the truth and not at all to
become offended because it is not at all the goal.

[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carolyn Arnold
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 10:09 AM
my new laptop

1. Open a word document.
2. Press Alt+F+T+S.
3. Tab to Backstage.
4. Uncheck.
5. Tab to OK.
6. Exit word.

went and double checked.

Carolyn

my new laptop

Gene

my new laptop

Gene,

Jeff

my new laptop

Gene

my new laptop

Not for me

my new laptop

new laptop

Jeff