Help creating .pls files from radio station URL

Steven Johnson <saxmonger@...>

Anyone have a sure-fire method for creating a .pls file for the Book Port Plus or the Blaze ET from a radio station’s direct stream URL?  I have tried to use notepad by pasting the direct stream URL for several radio stations, of course, one radio station per file, and saving the file as a .pls.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.  I wonder if there is a repository on the web that has a lot of real radio stations from which I can create .pls files for media players, not user created internet radio stations.  I want honest-to-God. On-air radio stations, not user createdinternet stations.

Laz

There are some radio stations out there that use a player on their
site and those may be the ones causing you problems. I find it much
easier to use a media player that can handle internet radio streams
like VLC and if it plays there one has a better chance at success when
creeating working PLS or M3U files using the audio player. I used to
use WinAmp to do this until I started having issues using WinAmp when
I moved to Windows 10 a while back. I haven't looked into Groove, WMP,
or any other media player but they may be able to create
workingplaylist files just as easily.

Stay safe,

Laz

On 9/30/20, Steven Johnson <saxmonger@comcast.net> wrote:
Anyone have a sure-fire method for creating a .pls file for the Book Port
Plus or the Blaze ET from a radio station's direct stream URL? I have
tried
to use notepad by pasting the direct stream URL for several radio stations,
of course, one radio station per file, and saving the file as a .pls.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. I wonder if there is a
repository on the web that has a lot of real radio stations from which I
can
create .pls files for media players, not user created internet radio
stations. I want honest-to-God. On-air radio stations, not user
createdinternet stations.

accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121

What do you mean by direct stream URL? Stations have underlying streams in general. They broadcast using HTML5 and that isn't the underlying format. The stream starts out as something else, I believe most of the time a streaming MP3 file. If you are simmply using the link that appears in your address bar, that is usually not the actual original stream. If a station actually plays in a program like Winamp when you use the address from the address bar, then the address is to the actual underlying stream. It is rare that stations use the underlying streme these days.

You will find some stations' underlying streams listed on this web page. I almost never use the site so I don't know how many. Some stations simply use the address shown in the browsers' address bar when streaming using HTML5, and I believe the site identifies those by saying listen in browser. If an underlying link is available, I believe the station will have a link that says listen in media player. Many stations have both links. The site has a ssearch link. once you do a search, start at the top of the page and use the screen-reader's find to look for the word results, then look down.
https://billsparks.net/

Anyone have a sure-fire method for creating a .pls file for the Book Port
Plus or the Blaze ET from a radio station's direct stream URL? I have
tried
to use notepad by pasting the direct stream URL for several radio stations,
of course, one radio station per file, and saving the file as a .pls.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. I wonder if there is a
repository on the web that has a lot of real radio stations from which I
can
create .pls files for media players, not user created internet radio
stations. I want honest-to-God. On-air radio stations, not user
createdinternet stations.

accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121

Steven Johnson <saxmonger@...>

Hi Laz. I believe you hit the nail on the head regarding radio stations that have embedded players on their websites preventing my live stream URLs from working from a .pls file when I try to access them from a Blaze ET. I will probably listen to stations with a web player using VLC, which does seem to work with most stations that I would like to hear. It's kind of a shame though. Ootunes is such a wonderful service. Too bad that it is only on the Victor, IOS or BrailleNote. Thanks for thehelp.

--
Affordably priced Accessible Talking MP3 Player/book Reader, Victor Reader Stream & Trek, blindshell Classic phone, Bluetooth devices, and accessories http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121

Steven Johnson <saxmonger@...>

Hello Gene. By live or direct stream URL, I may be showing my ignorance, but I meant an URL that can be copied and pasted into the address bar of a browser and start a station's stream immediately, like the stream URL for WGN, Chicago, which is https://v7player.wostreaming.net/3614

Thanks for the Billsparks.net link. I believe that it has a lot of cool stations for me to try.