learning languages. Making the process of both reading and writing them accessible.

Jeremy <icu8it2@...>

Howdy all and hope that everyone is doing well. I had a few questions about the process of learning a language, my example being Hebrew for which I've become interested, that hopefully one of you kind souls might be able to point me in the right direction.

While I've had wonderful luck in being able to find materials, lessons/videos and such that are designed to help in learning, I'm finding that I know next to nothing about the process required to make the written part more accessible. It's my understanding that the ability to actually read the language is controlled from within the text to speech engine, but I'm guessing that the screenreader also needs to support the ability to auto switch between languages, else you'd need to change back and forth manually depending on the language you were trying to read.

If I am correct in my thinking and this is how it works, might someone be able to give me some ideas/advice on whether Talkback on Android has this ability and what TTS would support both English and Hebrew? I'd also like to be able to read both on the computer and I seem to remember seeing an option inside NVDA for auto-language switching, so does this mean I just need a TTS that supports both languages here also?

In as far as being able to type the language for practice, on the phone at least, I'm guessing that perhaps Google's default keyboard on Android could support it. I'm also hoping that it's not too difficult to change my keyboard type on Windows, for the few times I'd be wishing to write those characters, but I'd love to be corrected in anything I might be missing. haha :)
The being able to write the language is sorta secondary though, as I have to be able to read it first. lol
Anyways, hope that all of you have had a wonderful holidays so far and are staying safe and warm and a happy new year coming up, too.
Take care.

Melissa

On 12/28/17, Jeremy <icu8it2@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Hi Jeremy. On your windows keyboard once you enable Hebrew in the
language settings, then the windows key and the space will toggle you
between English and Hebrew. I can get NVDA to change languages but not
to toggle between them I do not use Android so I have no experience
with that. If you read braille, I can help you learn how to read
Hebrew if you are interested. Please write me off list ok?

Sincerely,
Melissa

Jeremy <icu8it2@...>

Oh neat, I super appreciated it and I'll be sending you a pm here soon, for sure. I've a friend, a truly wonderful Israeli lady who's been kind enough to be helping me in the areas where I am somewhat struggling, most especially in learning to speak that pesky resh, but I don't know if she'd be familiar with braille. That is a pretty neat topic though. Either way, I am finding it to be a really beautiful language and a joy to learn, so definitely appreciate your offer of help too.
Hope you and yours are doing well and the same goes for everyone else here on list as well.
Take care.

On 12/28/2017 9:24 PM, Melissa wrote:
[...]

Lenron

I have been wondering about best way to learn a couple languages
myself. Have not really been able to find a totally accessible app on
the IPhone.

--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Jeremy, I'm sure that someone can help you with the audio end of things. However, I would strongly suggest that you explore learning Braille and Hebrew Braille in particular. I don't know much about this but if you're wanting to learn both Modern Hebrew plus leturgical Hebrew, contact The Jewish Guild for the Blind in NYC. They will have info for you

<smiling> I don't know if 'liturgical' is the right word for Hebrew used in religious services and for the Bible, but it's the only word I know. There is a difference between the two, I think.

Ann P.
.
[...]
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Leo Bado

Hi, apart from other people told you

I want to suggest some lines here.

I’m a Spanish speaker and not exactly a young dude, I’m 35 years old and started learning English on September 2015, that would be two years ago and now I read books, listen up podcasts and even I’m able to speak with a native speaker English on whatsapp.

So, I would like to know I did something right on my learning process.

Of course, on internet there are so much English learning material than Hebrew, that’s a fact and something you should be aware, besides, I don’t want to discourage you but you should know Hebrew is not exactly, what we would say, into the 5 top ten easy languages to learn, even por people who speak many languages, however it is not one of the most difficult languages either.

You can contrast this information by doing a search on the web.

I suggest to use many synthetizers as you can, listening up different synthetizers gives you a better understanding, of course try to find a good podcast, a basic one at first and eventually look for an advanced one.

Ask for any Hebrew native speaker for connecting you with a mailing list for chatting so you can see how they use the vocabulary on a daily bases.

If you use windows 10, great!, this OS brings you excellent synthetizers that in my opinion are more efficient and and understandable for a beginner, so all you would have to to do is download the respective package.

Alt + shihft taggle between keyboard languages.

Find on internet webs with your prefer topics and copy them into word, then slowly read them and  look into a dictionary every word you do not understand, at first, only do this with specific words repeated on the text again and again, important to determine if it is an article, a noun or a verb.

Later on your learning process I suggest start reading books, specially biographies or memories, this is because language contained on this books is so much closer to a vocabulary use on a daily bases than any other genra.

As I said before, I do not want to discourage you, but do some more research on internet and try to find where are the wick points  for ang English native speaker to for learning Hebrew, this way you would be clear about where exactly to start and what objective procrastinate.

For instance, for me as I native Spanish speaker I quickly discovered pronunciation will be my wickness, so I do not pay so much attetntion to this but I will have to do it later because I want to sound natural or something closer at least when speaking with a native.  But if I would have started for this objective, as you would suppose, I would have abandone the whole learning English process, so I focused on reading that is what suits me!

Anyways, good luck!

Lol

El 29/12/2017 a las 06:34, Ann Parsons escribió:
[...]

Yes Ann P there is a difference between Modern Hebrew and what we call
biblical Hebrew. Because I personally retain things better if I read
them in braille, I found it helpful to learn how to read Hebrew in
braille first.

On 12/29/17, Ann Parsons <akp@sero.email> wrote:
[...]

In as far as the learning goes, I think our best bet is to use audio-type materials. As I understand it, with applications like Rosetta stone and similar, you get a mix of both the audio and visual type experience with a language, but then that also requires that the software or whatever also be accessible too. I might be wrong, but I've always understood that most of those language learning applications are in fact quite inaccessible. It's easy enough though to find downloads of the different audio/video language learning materials, so for the speaking part of things, it hasn't been too bad so far.
Take care.

On 12/29/2017 3:57 AM, Lenron wrote:
[...]

Awesome, I'll definitely look into it. As I mentioned previously, I've had pretty good luck in finding materials I can use to learn the speaking part of the language, but they of course fall short when it comes to understanding how it's written. Melissa was kind enough though to respond to me privately and she's got a much better understanding of the written stuff, so for that I'm hugely grateful. As for the differences between the modern version of the language and the older one, as I understand it, the older one being used more in a religious context, I don't know, but I've herd that there are a few. I'd definitely want to be learning modern though, as I'd like to be able to use it for communication with friends I make there in Israel.
Either way, it's all been super fun and a neat experience so far. :)
Take care.

On 12/29/2017 6:34 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
[...]

Hi Leo and thank you bunches for the response.
That's sort of where I've been heading in my path to learning it, although, it's only now that I've really been able to get anything useful about the written aspect of the language. As far as the speaking part goes though, I've had wonderful luck in being able to find loads of different lessons and such on proper pronunciation, proper use of words, the words themselves, etc, so it hasn't been all that bad yet. As I was telling Melissa privately, I did figure out that I could also use Google translate, with the first language set to Hebrew and the translated one to English and it works quite well for testing out my own pronunciation, but it does have a few tiny shortcomings. My Israeli friend has been truly wonderful in helping me with other parts I've had issues with and with her being a native speaker, that's even better. I do agree though that once I reach that stage where my comprehension is good enough to use podcasts and such, that's definitely the rout I'd like to take. I even thought about figuring out a way to get access to Israeli television newscasts and listening to those too. lol

I love the idea that you also mentioned, grabbing bits of web pages written in Hebrew and copying them into a word document and then working through them a bit at a time, so that begs the question, what advice can you give on Windows-supported TTSs that might support the language? I know there's quite the difference between those TTSs that support Spanish and ones that might support Hebrew, but figured it was worth asking. :)
Best wishes and hope you are doing well.
Take care.

On 12/29/2017 7:14 AM, Leo Bado wrote:

[...]

hi Jeremy,

what do you mean exactly?

are you looking for a tts program? or just a synthetizer / voice ?

El 29/12/2017 a las 11:53, Jeremy escribió:
[...]

I might be incorrect, but I think just as long as the TTS (text to speech) engine has support for being able to interpret a language, the voices under that TTS should only give slight differences in how the language sounds are generated, how it sounds when spoken. This would be similar to eloquence and the differences between US English and I think it's called UK English. So yeah, just as long as I've got it about right, I guess I'm wondering what would be the best text to speech engine to try. :)
Pretty much eloquence and Espeak are the only TTSs that I have any real experience with, plus what ever the one is that is used on the IPhone, so I don't know too much about any others. hehe
Thanks bunches.
Take care.