Help with a win10& JAWS issues

Walter Ramage

Hi all.  I have two questions the first is about the view in Win10.  I understand that the default view in Win10 is details but I am used to working with list views.  In Win10 how can I change all folders to list view and to make that view permanent?

The second question is about JAWS.  In previous versions I could change things such as graphics by doing insert +V and then looking for graphics and change the setting via the spacebar. However now I'm using JAWS 2020 I can do an insert +v but when I find graphics the space bar has no effect.  How do I change these settings please.

Any help appreciated.  I am using Win10 and JAWS 2020.  Walter.

Mike B.

Hi Walter,

Let's start with the graphics setting first:
1. Open the Jaws quick settings with, Insert + V, and navigate to the graphics settings.
2. See if you can up or down arrow to the other settings, if so press the, F6, key 1 time and this should put you back to where you can press the spacebar
to toggle through the settings.
3. Press the spacebar to the preferred setting, tab to the Okay button and press enter to save / close.
Note: Pressing the, F6 key, switches the settings to be navigated between a combobox and using the spacebar to toggle through them.  Whatever the correct
lingo is for this I don't know, but just press the F6 key to experiment.

Now for putting files and folders into list view:
1. Press, Windows key + E, to open ThisPC or Windows Explorer.
2. Open the context menu with the applications key or Shift + F10.
3. On the, View submenu, press enter or right arrow to open, down arrow to, List, and press enter.  Pressing enter will take you out of the context menu.
4. Again open the context menu with the applications key or Shift + F10.  On the, Sort by submenu, press enter or right arrow to open, and you want both
the, Name and Ascending, items checked.
5. Again open the context menu with the applications key or Shift + F10.  Go down to the, Group by submenu, open it and you want, None, selected here.
6. Make sure nothing is selected and press, Alt + F, then press the letter, O, to open Folder options, and, Control + tab, to the, View tab / page.
7. You should hear, View Page You can apply this view (such as Details or Icons) to all folders of this type.  Folder views Reset Folders Button.  Press
the spacebar and choose the, Yes, option tab to, Okay, and press enter to save / close.
8. Now go to your Documents folder and check your file and folder View settings and if they're not the same use the steps above to do the same .

Take care and stay safe.  Mike.
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!

Hi all.  I have two questions the first is about the view in Win10.  I understand that the default view in Win10 is details but I am used to working with list views.  In Win10 how can I change all folders to list view and to make that view permanent?

The second question is about JAWS.  In previous versions I could change things such as graphics by doing insert +V and then looking for graphics and change the setting via the spacebar. However now I'm using JAWS 2020 I can do an insert +v but when I find graphics the space bar has no effect.  How do I change these settings please.

Any help appreciated.  I am using Win10 and JAWS 2020.  Walter.

Walter Ramage

Hi Mike.  Thanks for the instructions.  All worked out as you described regarding list view but when I tried step 4 and 5 both Sort by and Group were "unavailable" and I don't know why nor how to make them available.  Walter.

Hi all.  I have two questions the first is about the view in Win10.  I understand that the default view in Win10 is details but I am used to working with list views.  In Win10 how can I change all folders to list view and to make that view permanent?

The second question is about JAWS.  In previous versions I could change things such as graphics by doing insert +V and then looking for graphics and change the setting via the spacebar. However now I'm using JAWS 2020 I can do an insert +v but when I find graphics the space bar has no effect.  How do I change these settings please.

Any help appreciated.  I am using Win10 and JAWS 2020.  Walter.

Mike B.

That's because somehow someway some thing is selected.  It'll take a little playing around to make sure nothing is selected, but how you go about that I can't tell you.  I've ran into the same issue with various computers and I can't tell you how I got the Sort by and Group by to become available, but I can tell you it's because something is selected.

[...]

Gene

To make sure nothing is selected, press home, then issue the command control space.

[...]

Hi Mike.  I think I have it sorted, thanks for the help.  Walter.